College Basketball Open Discussion

I can’t decide if I love that or if I hate that, but it’s definitely one of those two things

I can’t help but enjoy all pandemic-related video and audio gaffes. Only thing that would make this one better is if Walton had an inadvertent cat filter going at the same time.

feels like a lot of the 1/2 seed competition outside the Big Ten has been dropping games the last few weeks. Texas fell hard, Houston dropped some, Villanova, Alabama, Virginia, etc.

At this point I think the Big Ten is headed towards three 1/2 seeds. Maybe they don’t get two 1 seeds, but they probably have better odds of getting four teams a 1/2 seed than they do at only getting two.

4 Likes

Big game in the Pac 12 tonight. USC and Oregon. Ducks have won 5 in a row and USC had won 7 in a row before falling to Zona.

Just wish it wasn’t at 9pm or I’d stay up for the 2nd half.

1 Like

lol did they really? that game was @USC too.

1 Like

There is zero rhyme or reason to any pac 12 game FWIW.

1 Like

Yup. I’ve bet on like 4 or 5 Pac 12 games and lost them all. I’ve created a new policy for myself - never bet on the Pac 12 because it makes no sense

1 Like

I feel like a B1G Champion would get the #1 seed. If I was any of the three teams fighting for that #1 seed spot(moreso OSU and Illini), I’d fight as hell to get the 4th #1 seed because if you’re a #2 seed, you’ll end up in the Zags or Baylor region. You rather not potentially face them until the Final Four.

1 Like

This is a great point. B1G is looking to get 3 or even 4 1 or 2 seeds, though with the matchups the next few weeks, I would say 3 is more likely. Though as other contenders are taking L’s and the B1G losses would be more “quality” losses then it may not matter as much. But with the B1G taking up a lot of the 1/2 seeds and Baylor/Gonzaga looming as the others there isn’t much wiggle room and makes staying on the 1 line very important.

I’m wondering from a somewhat realistic “worst-case scenario” where Michigan loses to Iowa, Illinois and one of OSU, Iowa, Illinois in the BTT…does that keep them on the 1 line?

OSU’s loss to us and Houston’s beatdown of Cincinnati swapped the two teams in NET. OSU from 6 to 7 and Houston from 7 to 6. I can’t help but feel that if they played each other OSU would win handily.

2 Likes

Updated AP Rankings: Michigan, OSU and Illinois still 3, 4, and 5 respectively

2 Likes

Purdue is still not ranked. Meanwhile Ok State is ahead of them in both polls. Wisconsin is still ranked. Tennessee is still ranked. VT is top 20. Oklahoma is top 10. All of those teams Purdue is ahead of in WAB.

4 Likes

Yeah, for as good and deep as the B10 is, the middle of the conference keeps beating each other up and getting no national respect. I doubt any of those other teams want any part of a lower-seeded Purdue that’s being overlooked in the rankings right now. Meanwhile, no idea why Wisconsin is still clinging to their ranking after how they’ve been playing.

6 Likes

Agree, that’s nonsense. Purdue should be ranked.

1 Like

Has there been any talk about rescheduling any of Baylor’s games? Certainly doesn’t matter for their conference race, but could in theory impact seeding. Even without taking into account the cancelled Zaga game, some of the notable games they’ve missed were:

• Home: Texas, WVU, Texas Tech, OK St.
  • Away: Okalahoma, WVU

It appears maybe the home game vs. WVU is back on the schedule, and I don’t see any March dates for them so maybe some of these will be made up. But that’s as tough a gauntlet as I’ve seen for postponed games for the #2 team in the country…If they dropped even one of those games, UM would have been in contention to pass them, no?

1 Like

Eh, Baylor is a better team than Michigan. They beat Auburn by 12, beat Illini by 13 and have beaten ranked B12 teams. They have pretty much blew out everyone they faced this season and haven’t lost a game. Michigan is rightly behind them

I mean - yes, they’ve looked and are a great team (and I’d put my money on them over us because they haven’t played poorly yet this season).
I’m just pointing out that there were 6 games against ranked opponents that haven’t been played, and wouldn’t the narrative shift a bit if they laid a couple eggs?

2 Likes

I mean, you’re talking about Baylor the same way people are talking about Michigan when they had to pause due to COVID in Michigan Athletic Department. Baylor shouldn’t be punished for it and they clearly are a better team than Michigan thus far in both eye test and advanced stats.

Definitely never said they should be punished, and yes they’re elite and deserve to be ranked exactly where they are right now. I wasn’t arguing we’re better, I was really just asking if there was any plan to reschedule any of their games because I’m not seeing much on it.

It doesn’t benefit them to play the games, and its not something I’d advise they try to cram in for the health/player safety. I just wanted to know if there was talk of them playing any of those tough games, because its really the only way I see us climbing out of the 3 seed and into the 2.

1 Like