College Basketball Open Discussion

Per Tipton edits : “A five-star prospect will be committing tomorrow.”

Patrick Baldwin to Milwaukee

Obviously Bediako to Michigan

1 Like

A clear Tier 1 and Tier 2. Then a whole mess of teams until the bottom 3.

Basically:

Tier 1: Michigan
Tier 2: Illinois, OSU, Iowa
Tier 3: Wisconsin, Purdue, Rutgers
Tier 4: Minnesota, Maryland, Indiana
Tier 5: PSU
Tier 6: NW, MSU, Nebraska

OSU has the strongest wins but they lost to Purdue twice, Northwestern, and Minnesota at the Barn. I think Liddell was out against Purdue and NW which plays a factor. OSU is a weird team since they have good offense but their defense is below average.

1 Like

#6 Houston was taken down by #82 Wichita State just now

3 Likes

Halftime:

Gonzaga 51 - 24 St. Mary’s

This is an interesting result for the 1-seed conversation. Pretty much eliminates Houston.

Seems like we’re locked into three: Gonzaga, Baylor, and the B1G champion. Fourth could be a second B1G team, Alabama, maaaaaaybe Villanova or Virginia?

Actually now that I write that out, maybe Houston isn’t eliminated at all.

3 Likes

I’d say the only way it’s not two big ten teams is if Michigan beats Ohio and Illinois and the other two pick up another couple of losses. ACC/Big East are down this year. Would be surprised if they took a 1 seed

1 Like

FOCUS FOCUS FOCUS please!

1 Like

for any West Coasters like me (or night owls), Colorado @ Oregon coming down to the wire.

I don’t really care if it’s true or not. I don’t care about the optics of the “opt out.” This is just such a crappy, small thing to publicly say in my opinion. Boeheim is buddies with K, so read this with that context.

9 Likes

Why would any fan of the sport want coaches to speak their minds less?

What an arsehole.

4 Likes

(hey look chat rules, I found a loophole!)

6 Likes

He can speak his mind all he wants. And he’ll continue to get called out as an insufferable POS.

4 Likes

Late to the party here, but it’s not true that Irvin never shot as well as Livers; Zak shot 42.5% on 146 attempts as a freshman. Zay shot 33.9% on 56 attempts in his first year. I think one reason the perception of the two is different is that their results trended in opposite directions, with one getting worse each year while the other improved. Another factor, though, is the volume: Irvin attempted more threes in each of his seasons than Livers has in any of his. Livers has been able to refuse to take questionable shots because he could rely on his teammates to get something better; Irvin really only had that option as a freshman, except for the short stretches when LeVert was a healthy upperclassman, and then when Walton unlocked wizard-mode.

On a per-possession basis, Zak had a higher usage in all of his seasons than Zay has in any of his up until this year; Livers is up to 19.6% usage, which just creeps above Irvin’s 19.2 for his freshman season.

Comparing their defense through numbers is, of course, difficult. Livers has been a major contributor to defenses ranked 3rd, 2nd, 28th, and 7th in adjusted efficiency. Irvin’s were 89th, 100th, 92nd, and 69th. Once again, teammates count; Livers has never defended on a team that started Rickey Doyle, Aubrey Dawkins and Spike Albrecht.

As far as memorable moments go, Livers has played in (at least) one Final Four; Irvin played on a team that ran away with a B1G championship. Zak survived the plane, Zay the plague.

4 Likes

This is fantastic news. It probably means about 20,000 at the Final Four and National title game. I’ll be there if Michigan is!

After listening to this, i definitely think beilein will be taking a job this summer

3 Likes