College Basketball Open Discussion

:thinking::thinking::thinking:

7 Likes

Lovely close-up of Izzo having aneurysm.

1 Like

he has another year of eligibility to be himself again :smile:

3 Likes

That legit made me laugh out loud!

UConn came from 18 down at Marquette in the second half to win by 11. And this is a mediocre UConn team. Meanwhile, UNC beat Miami 67-65 even though they were turning the ball over every other possession. Miami was down three starters and was awful-er than UNC.

Marquette is such a strange team. I really liked them watching them earlier this year. Now they are losing left and right.

1 Like

Anarchy? Nope. Just college basketball

3 Likes

Didn’t know Rothstein was on this board!

4 Likes

I don’t think anyone knows if UConn is mediocre or real good. They have had 4 games postponed already. They have a lottery type player in Bouknight.

Some guy off the bench who had never done anything blew up the second half.

Pitt and Syracuse are tied at 57 with under 2 to go on ACCN. Games in Syracuse and the Orange had a 16 point lead with 11 to go.

Former target Joe Girard III is playing bad. 3-10 from the floor today, 2-8 from 3. Girard has a 91.1 ORTG on the season.

Okay, here’s a question for those smarter than me… What is a good/bad oRtg? And why don’t folks talk as much about dRtg? I told my friend, a Spartans slappy, that beating Rutgers in the weirdest game ever didn’t mean anything. He said Hoggard was the real deal. I responded that Hoggard has a sub-100 oRtg, which I implied was a bad thing, but I don’t really have a sense of good and bad there. Appreciate the help!

100 is average, anything below that is bad. If you look at Torvik’s website there will be color shading behind every number indicating how good it is relatively, with dark green being great, dark red being awful, and no shading being average.

And no one focuses on defensive rating numbers too heavily because they’re incredibly shaky stats. You can look at STL and BLK rates, but there’s so much that goes into defense that isn’t easily quantifiable, especially on a stat sheet, that a number like defensive rating wouldn’t have much merit.

1 Like

Thanks! As for defense, that’s what I figured, as I’ve read some of the other conversations about ± stats as it relates to defense. Why does Torvik even include something like that if it is so shaky?

100 is sort of the good/bad threshold.

DRtg is a useful team stat but basically worthless on an individual level.

Thanks! Appreciate also, Dylan, that you included only the question AND me admitting others are smarter than me. My fiance is framing this forum discussion.

ORtg pretty much has to be used in conjunction with usage rate to mean anything IMO. Maybe even % mins too. If I had to desert island 3 basketball stats to analyze players I’d pick those.

I’m also not sure 100 being the good/bad baseline. I agree that many use it as that, but I would tick that upward a bit. Maybe somewhere around 105.

Correct. Usage rate and offensive rating are meant to be used together.

UofM can’t hire a good football coach but they are nailing basketball coaches

5 Likes

Random thought while watching Arkansas-Tennessee game. Arkansas’ average offensive possession is 1 or 2 people in the primary ball screen type situation and then 2 or 3 players just standing still spacing the floor. There appears to be almost nothing coordinated other than guys standing in the corner with the occasional 2 man game happening on the ball. Almost no action on the weak side of plays. Strange to watch.