College Basketball Open Discussion

11 Likes

B1G has gotten better with recruiting and developing talents. They have a bunch of good coaches coaching in this conference which makes it a tough conference to play in. If only one of them can breakthrough and win it all, that would put legitimacy to the conference.

2 Likes

Yesterday I was musing about how our game with Illinois will be Chaundee Brown’s pro audition, as he will have the opportunity to D up a surefire NBA guard in the person of Ayo Dosunmu. Then I realized that if he had stayed in the ACC, he wouldn’t have had a comparable opportunity…

1 Like

I’m curious about the Oral Roberts PG Max Abmas. Has put up great numbers against good competition. The highlights against Cade Cunningham’s OSU are impressive.

Toledo comes back and nips Kent State by two, 84-82. Game wasn’t televised nor was there a live play log but based on following the box score that updated every so often, Toledo got off a buzzer-ish beater to break a tie game with :03 remaining. Rockets are now 9-3 and the clear favorite in the MAC.

2 Likes

Caught the very end of the game while waiting for a meeting to start. Toledo made a pretty furious comeback and tied it with like 90 seconds left. Kent State responds with a three of their own. Toledo then makes another three, to tie it again. Toledo got a stop and gets pretty lucky to have a blocked shot come back out to a driver who goes all the way in for a lay up. Kent State goes for the win on a long contested three that is just off. Great game actually.

Toledo is looking like they should be a pretty good win by the end of the season if they keep this up.

1 Like

Was it on ESPN3?

Yup ESPN3- caught it on my phone. I was tracking on Gamecast and it said watch live, so I was excited to catch the very end.

1 Like

Aw man, CBS and Yahoo apps didn’t show that it was televised/streamed. I didn’t even think to check ESPN. :man_facepalming:

Apparently Illinois was in HS top 3 out of HS so speculation they could be interested in him replacing
Cockburn

Keep an eye on Tennessee for Tshiebwe

Rumors are that Tshiebwe’s already been seen at Miami practices. I don’t know if that’s true but it seems like he’s destined for South Beach, and Fran doesn’t think it was a clean get by Miami.

Also really big news. Houston is a top 10 level team and Mills was the AAC preseason POTY. He’s been battling injuries all year and coming off the bench. He stepped away from the team for personal reasons earlier this week. No one is completely sure what the reason is but most common thought is something making him want to go closer to home (North Carolina).

1 Like

Watching the Bama/Florida game and Jimmy Dykes said Castleton was giving props to Juwan for his development as a post player

14 Likes

Castleton looks good. And there’s no way he’s not “Juwan’s type of big man” as has been said. He’s plenty good out of the post if thats the requirement. Made the right decision to transfer though.

9 Likes

Caught the beginning of UNC/Miami. Three of the first four possessions ended with offensive foul calls. WTH refs? And one shortly after was a flop that they didn’t award…ugly.

He did make the right call, but I’d love our depth at the 5 if we had this Casselton backing up Dickinson.

3 Likes

Yeah I imagine Juwan would’ve been fine with Castleton still being on the team, probably over Davis. But there was probably a frank conversation about bringing in a stud in Dickinson so the clear path to 20+ minutes and opportunity to start in junior/senior year might not be there. Or maybe Castleton just wanted to go home.

1 Like

Castleton looks good again tonight but Florida as a whole does not.

I just saw one of the worst charges you’ll see in clemson/NC st. Wowwww

It’s probably a bit of both. Also no one really thought Dickinson would be this good, and Davis was even starting over him before his injury as we all know. Obviously Davis shouldn’t have been starting, but I do think that means there was an opportunity for Castelton to earn his role as a starter. I think the conversation was more “You can stay and fight for a starting role” and not “You’re clearly going to be behind Hunter.”

Between that, Florida being close to home (especially with COVID), and Florida having one other player taller than 6’7 in their rotation, it made a ton of sense for Castelton to transfer back. And it seems like he clearly made the right decision for himself.

5 Likes