College basketball corruption charges

If Izzo is guilty of some major violation, then I want his punishment to be an additional decade as the head basketball coach of MSU with average Big Ten recruits. That would be the only kind of Justice I would be interested in. It would be sweet Justice too—I guarantee it.

5 Likes

Nothing but “weird guys”. I love it! :rofl:

3 Likes

If this really becomes Basketball Armageddon and Michigan is innocent…and all the blue bloods go on sanctions…my god John Beilien will dominate the entire country.

5 Likes

I almost can’t decide if this is going to be fun or super boring.

2 Likes

So is the NCAA going to take away every game from Duke, UK, and Alabama this year? All Wichita games for the last 4 years? Unlikely, imo. Also if someone like Van Vleet, Brogdon, or Monte Morris can show up on this list then the chance of a Michigan player showing up is very possible. In this report only, it seems like the programs are fairly innocent.

1 Like

The problem is so wide spread, I’m guessing the NCAA decides to study the problem and nothing happens this year.

3 Likes

Your point is moot. MSU isn’t winning jack w/o Bridges.

1 Like

They were the hypothetical example because they’re local and a star player was mentioned in the report, but could apply to any team. It could apply to a team who’s 9th best player was implicated. So the point isn’t moot, but thank you for your contribution.

IMO, it would be an easy decision for any reasonable coach to suspend Bridges for his last regular season game and first B1G tournament game. But with Izzo - and his adoring fans will follow - it will be something like, “how could I dole out any punishment?!?! He hasn’t been charged with anything!”

2 Likes

It really comes down to whether MSU is willing to have those wins vacated later. I bet they are

6 Likes

An MSU without Bridges is not going to win anything significant this year. They might as well let him play if there is doubt and then vacate the wins later if it comes to it. Look at how the Louisville players are taking 2013. They are still claiming it and there is no 2013 champ right now

1 Like

This the problem for Izzo

Yahoo did not include the pages that showed Bridges’ parents being paid. It also did not show any that included Michigan State coach Tom Izzo, however, it said Dawkins had listed dinner with Izzo as one of his expenses.

People are saying $400 to mom and $70 meals = no big deal. I’m saying, this is just one entity. I suspect there was cash flying in from all sorts of directions to these kids. If you/mom are taking money from one company, why not the others? It’s a courtship. I looked over those financial docs and signed with relief when I didn’t see any of our guys but if it’s so widespread I’ve still got “some” pucker factor going on.

2 Likes

I’m very surprised there was no mention of Arizona. Didn’t they actually have an assistant coach arrested in this thing?

The fact that there was no mention of Kansas or Arizona is the biggest proof there’s a lot more to this. We know both of them were probed big time.

Plus we have to remember the FBI isn’t trying to figure out of players are ineligible, they’re investigating a criminal case.

“You want us to take down those banners? Fine, we’ll make our own and raise them.”

Someone needs to track down receipts for all the Sparties that howled over #PracticeGate during the RR era.

Not to get too deep into the old #PracticeGate rabbit hole, but check out how this Associated Press article from that time begins:

ANN ARBOR, Mich. – The University of Michigan has been playing football for more than a century, earning respect by becoming the nation’s winningest program while avoiding the stigma attached to teams that break NCAA rules. Until now.

No wonder schools aren’t falling over themselves to turn themselves in.

Between my saltiness over this and a lost generation of Michigan Basketball, I don’t want to hear anything from craven fans, radio mouthpieces, and school officials about how this is no big deal and how every school is doing it.

This. As this goes on I get the feeling that deep down, this is Izzo’s last stand. He’s gonna ride his most talented team as far as he possibly can. Retire after the season. Best case scenario for them, an emotionally destroyed Izzo somehow found it within himself to lead one last group to a national championship despite every force of nature in the world trying to stop him from ESPN to the FBI. There’s no reason for him not to try because their worst case scenario is already happening.

10 Likes

If MSU or Duke with the championship will the NCAA makes them vacate the title(like Louisville).

Seems like a huge problem for the NCAA.

It would probably be worse than with Louisville - not necessarily the specific conduct but the timing. With Louisville, the info didn’t come out until afterward. Here, there would be public allegations beforehand, the teams would play the players anyway, the NCAA would allow them to do so, etc.

1 Like