College Basketball 2023-24 Discussion

Alan Huss is the guy that, to me, makes a tooooon of sense for DePaul, and imminently gettable. Seems like a serious Bag Guy in waiting, major Chicago area ties.

Compared to the pluckly little fellow winning with whoever at Southern…

Yeah, I think he’s more than DePaul can get, and he’s been a southern guy his whole career.

Chris Beard to whatever the best school that will hire him and then Will Wade to Ole Miss. Oh the bags that will be thrown at Ace Bailey.

The list for Wade is basically WVU, Louisville, or Ole Miss but if those all fall through, why not DePaul.

1 Like

Trilly has already been touting this one as a possibility given the Omar Cooper connection.

Touting what? Wade to WVU then Bailey to WVU? Are people assuming Beard is leaving after 1 year?

Bailey to wherever Will Wade goes.

No idea what direction WVU goes… that one is fascinating.

Anything can happen obviously but I’m sure Auburn’s offer was not small.

Yeah, and he’s signed. So seems like it would take a lot to pull off.

The rumor was reported as basically … Wade having Omar Cooper’s (director of AOT/Ace Bailey’s EYBL team) son on his roster would broker the deal somehow.

Feels like a lot to of thread to pull, personally. But Wade is a gangster.

I think he’d need to poach Brandin Knight to make it work, which is possible. Pikiell has been playing defense by having one of Bailey’s high school teammates and hiring a friend of Knight’s as the third assistant this summer.

I consider NLIs practically meaningless these days. Any school that tries to enforce that would get skewered, and if push came to shove the relationship would be so poisoned that he’d just go play in the G League or whatever. I imagine there is some sort of psychological effect though, like how car guys will congratulate you on your purchase before you’ve signed anything.

As a resident DePaul fan (THE resident DePaul fan?) I am super excited that they made this move, but then again I get super excited every time they fire the coach. DePaul is a mom-and-pop athletic department and until that changes its going to be hard for the program to be successful. There are whispers that the university is ready to spend a bunch of money to get this hire right, but they’ve gone the high priced route before (Oliver Purnell) and haven’t gotten the hire right.

Tough to be in DePaul’s position. With no NIL its hard to recruit there. If they get a coach that can develop players, they (the players and/or the coach) are likely going to bolt when blue bloods start showing interest. There is just no donor enthusiasm for the program and the people that remember DePaul as a good program are dwindling away. Not sure what they do but they can’t afford to screw up another hire.

1 Like

The world is starting to take notice!!!

https://x.com/cbkreport/status/1749470163840421995?s=46&t=9MMrM6gOVy1pXVWIuEkHnw

1 Like

Also this DePaul stuff has me thinking… trade Georgetown and DePaul to the A10 for Dayton and VCU who says no??

DePaul for Dayton, yes. They would do that. Georgetown? No

1 Like

Pretty sure the Big East is negotiating new TV rights. Even if no one cares about or watches DePaul in Chicago, having a team in the 3rd largest market seems more appealing than having one with a rabid fanbase in the Dayton market.

I’d be interested to explore what value DePaul being in Chicago brings to the conference though. How much added value does it bring to TV rights? Are Chicago area recruits more likely to head to a Big East school due to the BE having a presence there? Dayton would absolutely make it a better basketball conference but the BE usually has 6-8 teams in the tourney every year and usually a couple of them are threats to win it all. Does Dayton being a decent program really do much for them?

Disclosure, DePaul is my 2nd favorite team and Dayton is my 3rd favorite team (my wife went there) so I think it would be really cool to see Dayton in the Big East. I just don’t think the conference has any motivation to boot DePaul, especially after they built a new arena and are in the process of building a massive new basketball practice facility on campus. They are putting money into improving the program, they just need the investments to pay off on the court.

1 Like

Michigan opponent McNeese State had an absolutely insane comeback victory tonight over Texas A&M CC.

They were down 18 points and actually missed a game-tying FT 3 seconds left but got a lucky bounce & tipped in a rebound to win the game. Their record moves to an insane 17-2. Going to be a fun team to watch come March!

1 Like

That’s big. Going to really help Michigan’s NET when we approach selection Sunday. Looking forward to @tony ‘s first Michigan Bracket Watch. Have to think we are currently on the bubble, but with a little luck, we have a real shot to get in.

5 Likes

DePaul is the largest Catholic university in the US

I think the whole thing starts and ends there. They will always be part of the Big East, nobody will think otherwise.

5 Likes

Exactly. I wanna know where Lou Holtz is right now! Would be a great fit

My DePaul ties go back to the most recent glory days.

1 Like