College Basketball 2023-24 Discussion

Is DePaul being such a bad gig mostly just the snowball effect from being incompetent for so long? I don’t know a thing about the program and despite living in Chicago for a decade I’ve never given even a first thought to seeing them live.

From having the team play at Allstate arena, staffing the supports staff with relatives and friends of relatives, making cheap hires…DePaul basically has been trying to fail

1 Like

Cincy hanging tough at Kansas despite shooting -3% from the field in the 2nd half

The magical CBI finals run with future NBAers Strus and Paul Reed?

well before and far better

Yeah, I am not a “DePaul fan” but my father in law played there for Ray Meyer, my brother in law went to Ray Meyer’s summer camp for a few years when Ray’s son was head coach…I am DePaul fan adjacent.

It’s true that the AD there has been “mom and pop” in a bad way for awhile, but again, was run, forever, by a fixture of the community, etc…its just surprisingly “small” for how big the school is.

I don’t think it would be hard, now that they play downtown (even if still off campus) to get them ok with some effort. He’s resume is slim has hell, but the High Point guy makes a ton of sense - has spent time in Illinois, ran the local EYBL Scholastic school to it’s all time highs (La Lu) and between that and Creighton has some solid bag chops on his resume.

1 Like

Yeah that High Point guy does make a ton of sense when I saw he coached at LaLu and is doing really well at HP in his first year. I mean if I were them I’d take a swing at Schertz just cause I think he’s a star but if he goes elsewhere the other guy is worth a shot for sure

1 Like

Because it’s a snow day in mid-Michigan and grades are finished for the semester, someone list the reasons why it wouldn’t be an option for DePaul to go the Lance Leipold route (CFB coach who went from DIII championships at Wis.-Whitewater to low DI at Buffalo to pretty successful at Kansas) and find a successful local Chicago college coach who knows the Chicago prep landscape and build from there.

It’s called Josh Schertz. That basically is his resume.

2 Likes

I know I’m lower on “who DePaul can get” than most, but I just think Schertz gets better offers. That High Point guy (I know I keep saying this) seems imminently hireable AND sensible for them.

1 Like

I feel like he’s probably not in the mix for any of the high profile openings (WVU, LVille, etc.) unless I’m missing something obvious.

So I am not sure what the obvious opening is for him. Is Vanderbilt a better opening than DePaul? Probably depends on where he’s more comfortable.

do we need to start a “Potential DePaul University Coaching Candidate Discussion” thread?

(don’t get me wrong, i would still read every post and I have no connection to DePaul other than it was one of the five hats on the table when I made my college decision)

(three of the other four have made a final four this century, and the fourth was the aforementioned one that got their records in every sport vacated by the NCAA)

4 Likes

How about Musselman to Louisville and Underwood to Arkansas. Win win all around?

2 Likes

This a thing?

I mean all of this stuff is wild speculation but if Muss gets the Louisville job, I like the fit.

1 Like

I also like the fit

3 Likes

I like the fit Illinois fans would have.

7 Likes

Is Arkansas a better job than Illinois?

I am not saying Illinois is great, but their NIL is solid and they have a pretty clear opportunity to compete in the richest conference. I could see a bigger blue blood, but Arkansas?

Louisville should just hire Underwood

If Schertz gets another job, Izzo should take the Indiana State opening in the coaching carousel and Dane Fife goes to MSU.

2 Likes