College Basketball 2023-24 Discussion

I do love their freshman class coming in. That’s about all they’ve got going for them right now. Gates seems like a cool dude so I hope they bounce back. But yeah they were quite the fluke 7 seed and couldn’t even capitalize by beating Princeton

Glenn signed with Tulane for dread solidarity, correct? He must have walked in the locker room and knew he was home.

The carousel begins:

https://twitter.com/DePaulHoops/status/1749509255042879818

https://twitter.com/trillydonovan/status/1749510539435299157

I see why Bobby Hurley would take that job

Less so the others

It’s an awful job

Some other names:

https://twitter.com/low_madness/status/1749511629773918659

It’s an awful job, but it’s a HM job and a huge upgrade over the Valley. You are telling me Bryan Mullins wouldn’t take it?

I feel like DePaul is still a better job than Southern Illinois.

I have a crush on Schertz, but I’m not really sure where his ceiling is this cycle.

2 Likes

I feel like Mullins or Schertz may be able to do better than basically the only Q4 HM team

Feel like DePaul should be hiring 2019 Bryan Mullins because 2024 Bryan Mullins may be out of their league

If that makes sense

Is there some reason to think Mullins is a particularly intriguing candidate who would be able to get any sort of HM job other than DePaul?

The good part about DePaul is that you need to get one good team together and you can parlay it into something much bigger (i.e. the Micah Shrewsberry).

I agree, but I think the degree to which DePaul is bad and PSU was bad are two really different things. This is like if Rice was still in the same conference as Texas

They’ve spent two decades winning between 0 and 4 conference games a year - there really isn’t an analog. Their high water mark is 7-11 with TWO NBA players (Paul Reed, Max Strus)

If I’m Schertz I’m definitely waiting another cycle or two.

if the best I can do is DePaul, yeah.

I mean, I’d agree Mullins, today, won’t get better than this. But I’d also urge patience if that was the case.

Only if he’s sure he can keep his team together and not have it blown apart by the portal. If FAU doesn’t make the Final Four last year I feel like a couple of their guys are probably somewhere else right now.

I understand that DePaul has been bad. That doesn’t mean that I think someone like Bryan Mullins – who is very connected in Chicago – wouldn’t take the job to at the very least double his salary, right?

I definitely see why he would. I just think it’s short-sighted. There ARE indications that DePaul’s AD is no longer determined to be the worst in D1 sports anymore, so that’s maybe promising I guess.

He could lose some guys, but he’ll have an opportunity to do some portal work himself.

Valley coaches are mostly making like 3-500k… basically what a HM assistant makes. If you get offered DePaul, you probably take DePaul.

It’s not a forever job, but it is a job where if you win 19 games you can get the best job open that cycle and look like a genius.

Sure you take a better job if you get offered it, but I don’t think you stay in the Valley.

https://twitter.com/GoodmanHoops/status/1749523962441142685

I’ll acknowledge after more thought he’s a possibility. I don’t think I’d do it in his shoes.

Wade won’t do it in a million years for a few reasons.
I feel like Schertz can do better today.
Drew makes such a disproportionately large amount, and took a big hit by accepting a horrible job once already, so I’d be surprised.
Hurley - I mean, if you’re falling out of the head coaching ranks at the moment, maybe you take what you can get.

Guys from High Point or Norfolk State or Tulane, yeah maybe.

The rumor has been that he’s almost definitely moving after this year.

1 Like

DePaul is a bad job but it really doesn’t take that much to upgrade to at least decent (top 125 KenPom floor, let’s say). Dave Leitao 1.0 had them ranked between 50th-70th for all three years. Just don’t hire a retread, a guy who’s never been a head coach, a guy coming off a 14-15 season at Richmond, or Oliver Purnell.

Wade will go to the best school that has the stomach to hire him. And then he’ll bring in a ridiculous roster that leaves people screaming. Hopefully one that doesn’t break @kcg’s heart.