College Basketball 2022-23 Discussion

Not trying to call you out specifically, but I’ve never been a fan of this as a blanket statement. I mean, I get it that there are a lot of guys who didn’t produce early… and they don’t produce late.

But, just as a general basketball player/athlete, guys don’t peak at age 20 or 21. There is so much room for improvement and it does materialize into production more often than CBB fans give it credit for.

3 Likes

I’d take Lively and Filipowski over pretty much the entire top 10

That’s fair, just don’t see it when comparing Arthur Kaluma vs. Terrance Williams or Jacob Toppin.

2 Likes

Yup. THJ, Mo Wagner, D.J. Wilson, Derrick Walton, MAAR, Zavier Simpson, and Jon Teske, are some examples just at Michigan in recent times who improved dramatically after their sophomore seasons.

7 Likes

Yeah - again I wasn’t really aiming it at you, I think about this thought often - and it’s especially hard because we can really only go off the last time we saw them play. Some guys enter their junior year and you know they’re likely pros. We certainly can’t say that about TWill or Toppin today.

3 Likes

Yeah, it’s really just an off-season gripe of mine. Once the season starts, and upperclassmen show improvement, we have like 1 day of “wow” and then a week later we’re like “we should have seen this improvement coming”.

But we never project it in our outlook of the team in these summer months.

2 Likes

I just think a big guy you can play through elevates things to a different stratosphere. A guy like Timme or Dickinson changes an entire offense.

Kalkbrenner blocks more shots, but if Creighton is anywhere near as good as people are trying to make them then it is going to have to be the perimeter guys IMO, especially Nembhard making a leap.

What exactly is the sell on Kaluma as a pro? Just age and measurables? I can buy into that part but the actual shooting, on-ball scoring, etc. are all kind of ugly. Not sure what he is as a college player this year offensively.

3 Likes

I hate to say it but I agree. That duo is going to be scary From the jump

2 Likes

I think in the case of those Michigan players, a lot of the credit goes to JB and his model of development and the fact it took a bit more time to work out the nuances of his system.

2 Likes

You mean Lively and Robbie Beran?

2 Likes

You mean Ryan Young?

2 Likes

Same thing

1 Like

Think it’s pretty reasonable to be skeptical of Kalkbrenner since Creighton was completely meh last year but I think it’s not crazy to say that he dragged that D into the top 20 pretty much by himself (8th in 2ptD, 327th in TO) and was their best player on O by a mile–he had a 129 ORTG on an offense that was 112th in the country. So I think there’s at least a case that his supporting cast was dragging him down and he was a top 10 player in the country.

1 Like

Here’s Rothstein’s preseason ranks for anyone as desperate as I am. Michigan #26

1 Like

Am I missing something on Purdue? Seems like Edey surrounded by some guys. Second best team in B1G? Dunno about that. Tourney team, sure

1 Like

Was coming in to say the same. I know there is a void of B1G teams and it seems to be a safe bet to bet on Painter but I can’t see that roster that high. I also get Indiana as the betting favorite but that roster seems like the same old, same old. I will keep asking…if Phinasee doesn’t play out of his mind against Purdue and the 2nd half of the Michigan game doesn’t exist, aren’t they the same product that Archie put out?

A lot of hype on Creighton which I will have to see to believe. Same with TCU at 10???

2 Likes
1 Like

Who’s the ball handler now that Ivey is gone? Even though they ran the offense through Edey/Williams but Ivey is the one that makes the offense go. They have bunch of shooters in a specialized role who aren’t good at creating for others.

It’ll be interesting to see what Painter can come up with to replace Ivey.

1 Like

It’ll be more than the sum of its parts, but that sun is not very great this year

1 Like

I think the harder part was shifting the offense to run more through Ivey. I think losing Williams is a much bigger loss as far as “who do you run the offense through” for Purdue this year. I think it will be fascinating to see how many minutes Edey can play and how many touches he can get.