College Basketball 2022-23 Discussion

He’s had a couple very good seasons and a couple bad seasons. Everything else seems to fall in an acceptable range of outcomes considering the programs he’s been in charge of.

High floor, low ceiling kind of coach.

I honestly had no idea about any scandal involving him, so I’ll side-step that as well.

Your point about how bad TCU was prior to him, though is well made. They have 3 tournament appearances in 7 years, their last appearance prior to 2018 (their first with him) was 1998. Not only that, his qualification for the NIT in 2017 was their THIRD since 1999. This was rarely an NIT quality program, which seems to be their floor now

@bacon141 I think yeah, obviously his results at TCU aren’t earth-shattering but they were .500 in a really rough league this year, and maybe “pretty decent” at a school whose historical track record is “disaster” is graded higher?

As I was looking at this stuff, I saw that when he was a HS recruit, he tried to go to UC Santa Barbara but they declined to offer him based on the recommendation of their lead recruiter…Ben Howland. That’s wild

He’s a good coach. Not average. Not very good.

1 Like

Jamie Dixon is one of those coaches who regardless of the quality of the program he takes over, good, or bad, is going to make your program a consistent 8 seed (Buzz Williams is another example of this type of coach). JD gets his guys to play hard-nose defense and rebound with reckless abandon, but his teams never have much perimeter skill. That’s gonna win you some games, but ultimately puts a cap on how good they can be,

3 Likes

I think Jamie Dixon is underrated cause I think extremely consistent but never quite great coaches get a bad rap. But the fact he’s gotten tcu to the second round back to back years is actually an incredible accomplishment, TCU was one of the worst P5 programs if not the worst when he took over. And as soon as they got there they were at worst NIT level (in fact they won the NIT his first year when at that point cracking the KP top 100 would have been an accomplishment)

Also he had a couple very very good PItt teams. One got screwed by a bad call against Butler and one lost a great E8 game against Nova

5 Likes
1 Like

Where’s he gonna go? Providence?

2 Likes

you get a free transfer after a coaching change, right?

2 Likes

Penn State. And Frankie’s coming with him.

3 Likes

I was always joking, but Frankie really might get his 4 schools in 4 years thing

10 Likes

Sure or St John’s and starting a Hurley rivalry in the Big East. The best part of the rivalry is neither coach will finish the games because both will get ejected for some reason.

1 Like

I love the phrasing of these stories because it omits the “and ASU isn’t that psyched with him either” part

Like, I don’t think they’re going to fire him yet

But I can see them going “yeah whatever”

Most likable active coaches in the sport
Nate Oats
Eric Musselman
Bruce Pearl
Tom Izzo
Greg Gard
Chris Beard
Mick Cronin
Dana Altman

1 Like

You had me there for a second. Think when I got down to Greg Gard and Chris Beard I realized what you were doing.

3 Likes

Not disagreeing with it just not sure why he’s there - why Mick Cronin?

3 Likes

You forgot Calipari. Good lord… that interview :roll_eyes:

1 Like

he was a hothead at Cincinnati but the Cali vibes have been good for him :palm_tree: :sunglasses: :palm_tree:

3 Likes

Underwood?

4 Likes

Nowells passing has been awesome.

Oscar needed to pass that off the board. Ware was wide open for the dunk.

I missed the previous 6-7 minutes. Where is Wallace and toppin

1 Like