College Basketball 2021-22 Open Discussion

Dang, they didn’t offer me anything. I’ll probably get an email as a year approaches. BQ basically was my entire subscription, so this news was pretty bad. I like some of the national basketball stuff too like bubble watch, which is probably my favorite version of this formula out there, but not enough to pay full price and the crazy good national stories like the recent USC football downfall one just aren’t frequent enough to change that.

1 Like

Not sure how many would enjoy this, but the athletic actually has really good EPL writers. I basically read their Michigan coverage and EPL.

4 Likes

So… basketball season coming real soon!

17 Likes

Yep Harbaugh just can’t win a big game!

Yes, though I’d personally rather stick to hoops here and leave the lamenting for other boards.

11 Likes

MSU might keep that same officiating crew up there and let them do the basketball game in January.

3 Likes

“It used to be that you could win big games with an assortment of field goals. A stingy defense comes to mind. Touchdowns weren’t bad things, necessarily.”

Then I gently close the book, put out the pipe, and carry the sleeping grandson to his bedroom.

4 Likes

Ready for hoops season!

6 Likes

YES!!! After today, I am so happy about that!

OK, I was happy for basketball season anyway.

5 Likes

Is there an equivalent for basketball (in terms of flipping win percentage) to taking a fumble TD away? Not sure even giving an important player a soft third foul would affect a close game to a similar extent.

Zavier Simpson’s supposed “flagrant foul” against Kyle Young on the lay-up and and one against OSU a few years ago to give us a one point lead (once the free throw was converted by Simpson) in the last minute. It gave OSU two dead ball free throws and the ball. The admittedly terrible replay overturn today occurred in the first half, and we had a 16 point lead with MSU facing 4th and 6 in a must go for it late in the third quarter. The Simpson call was much more influential in the game coming when it did.

1 Like

Definitely still had chances to win it. But in what everyone expected to be a one possession game, it’s brutal to have such a big win percentage reversal like that (and to a lesser extent that missed PI/holding on a 4th down.)

1 Like

Yes!!! This is our safe space from that other thing. I get football is king in the UM athletic department, but I appreciate this safe space a lot. Intelligent conversation. No “bigleo” type dolts over here.

10 Likes

Agree on this. The reason why I like this site so much is that it gives the coverage and respect that the Basketball program deserves and doesn’t treat it like a welcome distraction or afterthought. I love that it’s preserved a portion of MMBB fan culture that I feel has existed within that program for decades and hasn’t been swallowed up by the tendencies of general Michigan athletics fandom.

3 Likes

I agree with you 100%…but I do feel the need to point out that this sites existence has overlapped with arguably the most successful era within the program. I suspect the traffic would be a little different here if this were the late-Fisher, Ellerbe, or Amaker eras.

2 Likes

One could argue that in those eras, there wouldn’t be enough traffic to justify this site’s existence.

2 Likes

Or perhaps it was because of Dylan starting this site that Michigan turned the program around. Can’t possibly be coincidence. Like reverse MGoBlog, when the football program basically went down the tubes as soon as Brian started that site.

That’s not a shot at Brian or mgoblog btw. The weight of that timing has clearly affected Brian in a real way

18 Likes

Was just gonna come here and say this. I think mgoblog has cursed football, but UMHoops (and the great community here) is solely responsible for hoops’ success.

11 Likes

Yes and this is why I would totally buy a UMHoops mug. Dylan has given us far more than just $15 worth of happiness by single handedly bringing Michigan basketball back. We at least owe him some purchased mugs.

5 Likes

I feel like the toxic nature of other sites compared to this one is stark… karma?

3 Likes