College Basketball 2021-22 Open Discussion

A lot of it is the difference between college football and basketball. College football has no parity right now and there are just a handful of super teams. Combine that with the smaller amount of games and you have less opportunities to feel good about a season.

In basketball, you have more parity. And between early season tourneys, conference races, conference tourney and the National tournament (plus multiple games against rivals) you have more opportunities for accolades.

The SP+ ranking for football program is probably comparable year in and year out to the Kenpom rankings for the basketball program but college basketball is fun and most college football games feel pointless unless you are Alabama, OSU and two others.

4 Likes

I agree with everything you’re saying and have made similar points before but this is a football-free zone thank you

9 Likes

Most football games feel pointless unless you’re Alabama, Clemson, MSU, OsU, etc.

Yes…and it is the only sport where a single loss basically ruins your entire season. This board is going to melt down a couple times when we lose this year, but it will be minor and temporary because we will have another game in a couple of days and it takes all season to really know if you’re having a bad year. In football it is now perfection or nothing…which is why I have come around on the idea of an expanded playoff.

Excited for actual basketball content starting with the scrimmage today.

5 Likes

Lots of true tidbits in this. There are more opportunities for real “success” in college basketball according to a number of events that you mention. In CFB, is it a successful season if you take fifth in your conference and make it to the Music City Bowl presented by Cheetos? (Not that there’s anything wrong with Cheetos, mind you.) But for most CBB teams, making it to the NCAA Men’s Basketball Tournament is a pretty big deal and - unless you have GREAT ASPIRATIONS once you get there - the mark of a successful season. Unless, of course, you get beat by, say, the Summit League representative or get bounced in the First Four… :thinking:

1 Like

Imo Oats and juwan are the next big things in college basketball. Duke and unc should have made a run at him.

4 Likes

Oats just landed 4 star big Noah Clowney over iu, likely to get jarace walker too. He’s destroying on the trail.

2 Likes

FWIW

1 Like

Interesting him and Miller did seem repetitive

(He played in the last exhibition, FWIW)

5 Likes

I once saw a post-game interview with Nate Oats and he reminded me of a protagonist in a David Cronenberg movie.

Needless to say, he’s destined for great things.

1 Like

Do this and the Mark Few punishments not feel extremely light??? How are those penalties the same as/less than Kofi’s??? This is wild

1 Like

A lot of apples and oranges comparisons, but I thought the same about how Xavier Simpson’s suspension was rather, um, brief… There is a lot of protection to student athletes. I’m not endorsing it, not approving it, but it’s evident in nearly all such transgressions.

I would assume it will always vary depending on circumstance and those that it directly effected. I look at such dichotomy as school/NCAA punishment versus additional judicial action for more egregious crimes/violations.

4 Likes

Can’t really compare to the Kofi thing because one is an NCAA eligibility penalty and one is a team issued suspension. Programs can set their own rules for things like failed drug tests, DUIs, etc.

1 Like

My favorite is the self-imposed one year postseason ban for a team in the midst of a losing season. Classic.

8 Likes

Well, that actually isn’t them being able to choose their penalty. They are just hoping that the NCAA will deem that sufficient.

You’re right, of course. But man it just feels weird to me that’s all.

1 Like

I thought the reason McGary didn’t come back to M was the NCAA had suspended him for a year for being caught smoking pot.

1 Like

Yep – because drug testing is different in the NCAA Tournament (or any NCAA championship event).

3 Likes