Colin Castleton enters transfer portal

No need to apologize. Such things often change quickly, given that these are big decisions for young men to make.

1 Like

Damn, he looks really good.

Gotta give kudos to the editor. :wink:

3 Likes

Who were the other schools in contention?

Maryland, Notre Dame, and Dayton

1 Like

Wow so in a week he went from not having them in his top 3 to committing to them? Did they come in late or?

I think he was always considering them, but the interest intensified later on.

I know there are a million different reasons for a transfer, but Juwan would seem to be a much better coach to bring out his potential. Mike White seems to be a bit offensively challenged thus far.

Good luck to CC. Hopefully things turn out better for him in Gainesville.

I don’t think Castelton’s skill set really fit what Juwan was looking for from the Center position. He seems much more of a Beilein stretch big than the type of banger in the post that Howard seems to be looking for.

3 Likes

I think it’s way too early to say that. I mean the guy is famous for developing Bam Adebayo, I don’t think he’s beholden to “bangers”

Wherever CC goes, he will have the same challenges he had at UM. A fresh start MIGHT expedite things.

Adebayo is a quality rebounder and capable of contributing in blue-collar aspects of the game.

I think the desire for more physicality and blue-collar play in the post is why we saw Davis surpass Castleton for playing time this past season; and why Davis was offered a 5th year. And why Howard targeted Dickinson in the post. And why Howard recruited Terrance Williams in this class.

I don’t really think you can say that given that Castleton went into the season as the backup. Howard clearly wanted him to work out. Colin just could never put it together on the floor. Livers getting hurt seemed to be the end of his path to figure things out because I don’t think he would ever succeed as a four.

Just think that Colin’s struggles last year had more to do with Colin than anything else.

It is just like you can’t say Howard only wants to recruit slow lumbering bigs because he signed Hunter Dickinson. He signed Hunter Dickinson because he wanted to come. He also tried to recruit Walker Kessler, Mark Williams, etc. All different style posts.

5 Likes

Took the words out of my mouth on the last paragraph. We recruited multiple Cs, most Beilein was already after (including Dickinson).

I’m not sure either way. With the other guy that transferred, DDJ, there was the suggestion that he wasn’t a fit with what Juwan wanted. This case looks similar to me. I don’t think sufficient enough to say we know with 100% certainty what the right profile is for a Howard 5, but if I had to guess I think there’s more information about what Howard’s ideal 5 is than about what his ideal PG is.

Castleton’s struggles this year, Davis’ first extended run, and the attempt to shoehorn Teske into a role he clearly wasn’t suited for are three arrows pointing in a clear direction. Teske was the only player amongst the three returning starters that Howard asked to change his game.

2 Likes

Again, I think this is backwards. I think that the role Michigan wanted DDJ to play was not a fit with what DDJ wanted to play.

If you want to say that’s because Howard didn’t trust him to play the role, well that has more to do with the strengths and weaknesses of DDJ’s game than it does what Howard wants IMO.

What did Teske do that he clearly wasn’t suited for?

1 Like

I will be interested to see if Castleton can show more of a perimeter jumper. He came in with the reputation of being a good shooter and was a 83% foul shooter last year (be it on only 29 attempts) but he never really tried many outside shots (0-7on 3’s in his career). Maybe he doesn’t have 3 pt range but would like to see if he can become a decent pick and pop threat like Teske from the elbow.

He tried to show a little low post game last year but he seemed way too deliberate and slow with his post moves. I think he can be a good defensive player though with his length and lateral mobility.

Attempt to score efficiently in the post.

That’s a fine distinction you’re making re DDJ. Not sure it’s important whether he was intentional or not in giving Howard something different.

I just don’t understand the argument that expanding someone’s role is a sign that he isn’t the sort of player Howard is looking for. Teske finished in the 80th percentile as a post-up scorer, 2nd most efficient in the Big Ten among players with 100 post-ups, his overall usage jumped 5.5%.

Teske was asked to expand his game because Michigan needed to figure out new ways to score given roster deficiencies. He did a good job of it.

As far as DDJ, he left because he wasn’t happy with how he was used. He almost left the previous year because he wasn’t happy with how he was used. I don’t think that says anything about what Juwan or Beilein want in a guard recruit.

2 Likes