Cole Bajema enters transfer portal

To be fair, the attrition was always expected and was why there was never any concern about scholarship numbers.

The big surprise was missing out on Josh Christopher.

10 Likes

Ant Wright is going to get lucky and look like he knew what he was talking about all along when Brandon Wade gets minutes next year :joy:

18 Likes

Thatā€™s fair. If the staff anticipated the three transfers, do you feel that they have been as active in the transfer market as they should be in light of that? From an outside perspective, other than Aiken/Smith it doesnā€™t seem like thereā€™s been a serious effort to get anyone to fill the multiple open scholarships available. I know they were in on Kier, but that never seemed likely.

I think Franz is more likely to spend time at the 2 than Nunez. I thought it was universally agreed on that Nunez is a 3 since he doesnā€™t have the handles to play the 2?

I saw talent and a sweet stroke and it seemed pretty obvious to me that if he could add weight and strength he had clear potential to contribute in an area of glaring need. Iā€™m depressed about this and I believe that is the rational take.

8 Likes

Oh thatā€™s terrific. Canā€™t really dribble, shoots 30%, and canā€™t really defend. What more could you want?

2 Likes

If thatā€™s your opinion of Franzā€¦ I mean Iā€™m not sure where to start.

8 Likes

Are you talking to me?!

Nunez, not Franz. Jesus, Iā€™ve been here for a while, I freaking love Franz Wagner. Very confused.

(and the post I responded to was about Nunez, soā€¦)

3 Likes

To be fair 30% is what Franz shot. Nunez shot about 20% :slight_smile:

7 Likes

The post you responded to said this:

I think Franz is more likely to spend time at the 2 than Nunez. I thought it was universally agreed on that Nunez is a 3 since he doesnā€™t have the handles to play the 2?

2 Likes

ā€œNUNEZ doesnā€™t have the handlesā€

1 Like

To be fair, your post was somewhat unclear/confusing regarding who you were directing that comment at.

I wouldnā€™t worry much about Nunez logging major minutes at the backup 3. Probably more likely to see Terrance get some runā€¦he comes in more physically ready than most freshmen.

Franz is a God and our hope for the future. I donā€™t care what he shot after breaking his wrist.

1 Like

I feel like Iā€™ve posted enough in the past for people to know I wouldnā€™t have an insane opinion about Franz. Thatā€™s a little frustrating.

shoulda seen it comingā€¦cole really looked checked out in that zoom picture of the team :man_facepalming:t5: (https://twitter.com/JuwanHoward/status/1256383318788059137?s=20)

but in all seriousness, like dejulius, it isnā€™t surprising when you step back big picture as @umhoops points out. A position of need last year and he didnā€™t really get a look as a frosh under a guy who didnā€™t really recruit him. He probably has a different view of what he should have been last year and going forward and iā€™m sure a lot of would-be suitors will tell him the same. Kind of a brutal PR stretch for M ball but i suppose if you take it as a whole from when juwan came 3 transfers isnā€™t a huge number. And 2/3 werenā€™t getting any playing time basically.

2 Likes

The conversation was around shooting guard minutes and the post you were responding to was about Franz Wagner playing the two. And Franz Wagner shot 30% from three.

Didnā€™t mean any offense but the post certainly read like it was about Franz.

2 Likes

Okay, just Iā€™m not insane, and I thought the subject was clear by my reference to canā€™t dribble. Oh well. I hadnā€™t really thought much about Nunezā€™ ability to dribble, so I was reacting to that seemingly accurate point. Itā€™s hard to see him as a 3 on a few different levels and the idea that heā€™s a 3 by default because he canā€™t dribble :sob:

throw my hat in ring that is surprised, i thought cole didnt get his chance frosh year because of being new and underweight but the potential was there to shoot and possibly create and give good minutes at the 2 as basically a caris 2.0 and still would have wished to see him play nunezā€™ minutes as he seemed more productive (yes i realize he played garbage time, but eye test looked more comfortable)

i expected a nice potential off season bump depending on the whole pandemic length and basically minutes there for the taking with the transfers and lack of success in recruiting at the 2

4 Likes

No I know I was just being technically sarcastic there. I read it similar to Dylan. Iā€™m all on in the Wagner train. I hope he is an all American so It gives my completely unrealistic desire to get something at U of M named after the Wagners to become a reality lol. Moe is one of my all time favorite players and I want Franz to be up there as well.

6 Likes

I think it shouldnā€™t be all that surprising to see three players transfer out. The bigger surprise to me is that Howard was able to retain an entire roster last year (sans Jalen Wilson) with only one returning assistant. The most reasonable way to look at this is that it is a roster correction that usually takes place when a major coaching transition occurs, only itā€™s happening a year later.