Coastal Carolina transfer DeVante' Jones commits to Michigan

12 Likes

It’s gonna be a scary sight!

5 Likes

Yes!!! (Complete Sentence)

9 Likes

All incoming PG-shaped transfers must now wear #12, AKA the Mike Smith Rule.

8 Likes

25 Likes

Dylan, I think you could have done a much better job alerting us to this possibility. I had no idea this was going to happen.

39 Likes

Let’s gooooooooooo!!

2 Likes

How does he compare to the guy MSU picked up?

2 Likes

I’ll be honest - I don’t know. But I do know that he’ll be playing on a better team.

14 Likes

nice pick up! juwan and staff keep making things happen!

2 Likes

It’s kind of dumb but Michigan’s gonna get a lot more preseason poll respect because of this.

9 Likes

For those concerned about his 2 years of eligibility, he calls it his last year in this tweet

17 Likes

Yeah I feel like in pre season rankings there was an over valuation of incoming non top elite recruits ranked in the 10-50 range now it’s moved to an over valuation of transfers.

4 Likes

We got the wanted transfer now let’s roll. By the way today is May 1 and Franz has still said nothing about the decision! Just sayin🤔

6 Likes

DeVante is ranked as the 8th best committed transfer, the second best committed PG transfer behind Akinjo. State’s transfer is ranked 25th.

8. DeVante Jones

Old school: Coastal Carolina | New school: Michigan

Jones earned Sun Belt Player of the Year honors in the 2020-21 season while averaging 19.3 points, 7.2 rebounds, 2.9 assists and 2.8 steals for a team that finished 18-8. Though his prolific scoring stands out, Jones should be able to adopt more of a distributor role for a Wolverines squad that will again be loaded with talent.

4 Likes

I haven’t watched tons of film on Walker but they seem to be very different players. Walker is much quicker and shiftier, and smaller in height and girth. Much more natural looking shot and takes and makes a lot of off the dribble jumpers that Jones does not have in his arsenal. But Jones lives at the rim/FT line and is better at finishing and getting there because of his strength, floaters, and craft. Personally I like Walker more but that will be a very interesting rivalry storyline to follow this year. MSU’s success this season is much more dependent on Walker’s play than Michigan’s is on Jones

3 Likes

He is projected to have by far the best offensive rating of any Michigan player by far?

IMO, Hunter is getting underrated by the Torvik calculator in particular. Not sure why. You’d think you’d expect it to predict a larger frosh-sophomore jump.

1 Like

Obviously I am the world’s biggest RosterCast fan but it is just for fun. There are some glaring limitations to its predictive abilities. For example Jordan Bohannon’s return is projected to improve Iowa’s defense. Yeah nah

3 Likes

Yeah I thought this was an alarming observation on the most recent MSU pod episode. Walker at 5’11" 160 has to lead MSU in usage, FGA, scoring because who else is an option? Hauser? One of the freshmen in a 20 mpg role?

I am on record predicting a big MSU turnaround season but “primary offensive option Joey Hauser” is a bone-chilling proposition.

2 Likes