Coastal Carolina transfer DeVante' Jones commits to Michigan

I think Hauser and others end up looking a lot better next to anyone who can be a natural facilitator and Walker falls into that category. I’m super skeptical of Walker as a 30 MPG go to guy, but as long as he can play a few shifts a game as a true point guard he’s gonna make all the complimentary pieces on that team (Brown, Hauser, Hall) look way better than they did last year

2 Likes

Don’t forget how bad MSU was this season. 64 on KenPom. Even a big improvement could theoretically result in them missing the tournament.

They’ll only be worse if Izzo finds reasons to keep Christie and Akins on the bench

4 Likes

I think Walker will be a massive boost to their offense as long as he stays on the court. He has recurring injuries to his shooting shoulder and there are some really tough defensive guards in the B1G next year.

I also think Izzo has to work a lot harder on sharpening his rotations. MSU’s best offensive lineup of Walker-Christie-Brown-Hall-Hauser is unplayable defensively and their best defensive lineup of…Akins-Brown-???-Hall-Bingham has no offensive spacing or creation. There has to be a sweet spot.

hmm I just realized they could use another wing

Does anyone have stats on what percentage of his 3s were contested? I know that those stats aren’t entirely dependable but I remember seeing that only like 25% of Chaundee’s 3s were considered open which was like 10% or something. So even though Jones 3s don’t look like it has as much room to jump like Chaundee’s I’m wondering if there could be some potential there

I can find “closest defender” shot stats for the NBA but not college

Maybe misreading, but I felt like there was some negativity toward Jones as a prospective fit for M here, and couldn’t understand it. I think this is a great development, and won’t be surprised if Jones is starting and running the point deep into the season. If he can tweak his three-point shooting a bit, he looks like a pretty complete player. Pencil M in for the NC!

Worried about our shooting next year tbh.

I once again think the key is Johns and if he can provide the same output from 3 that Franz did, which shouldn’t be too hard (assuming that Houstan can replace Livers in that area)

Houstan is replacing Wagner. Johns is replacing Livers (as he did in the post season).

???

I know Franz was streaky from 3 but he still hit 34% on 3.5 3s per game (40% in conference btw). And even attempted and hit several unassisted. The tournament tanked his season percentage since he shot very poorly in those 4 games from 3 unfortunately. Not a chance Johns sniffs that level of volume and accuracy.

2 Likes

But he only made more than 2 threes per game three times this season. If he hit 3.5 threes per game he would already have his pppg up 10+ when his average is 12.5 ppg. By my calculation he makes 1.25 3s per game. Am I missing something?

I think Johns has shown decent 3 point ability, his efficiency on 3’s has been good since he’s gotten here, even better than Franz’ albeit on lower volume. All he needs to do is hit one or two more a game and he’d match Franz. Not saying it’s easy.

3.5 attempts, sorry that was vague

You actually did say it wouldn’t be too hard though :rofl:

Johns shot all of 19 3s all season. He’s been as streaky as Franz but on 1/4 of the attempts.

1 Like

Even if you only look at the games Johns started post Livers injury, he went 1-6 from 3. So that’s just over 1 attempt a game. Saying Johns needs to hit “only” 2 3’s a game means he needs to take at minimum 5 a game, and with only shooting 5 he needs to be a 40% shooter.

Franz hitting 1.5 3’s per game in conference play at a 40% clip should give a baseline for expectations on 3’s per game. For a guy like Johns, who has never shown the willingness or volume shooting ability that Franz has, expecting one or two 3’s a game is a massive ask.

1 Like

I think Izzo really needs Christie and Akins to hit the ground running to be able to score for the team especially Christie. It’s a tall proposition to expect a true freshmen to do it but Christie is 17th overall ranked recruit so he has the talent to do so.

Hunter is live on IG with Devante fyi. Jett and Jace are with Hunt. Devante is asking how cold it gets :rofl:

12 Likes

The horror in his eyes when Hunter told him their game at Wisconsin was -6 :joy::joy:

9 Likes

Some highlights I saw:

1. Jace doing a Juwan impression
  2. Beignet discussion
  3. Asking Jett when he’s committing
  4. Shoutout to Detroit Cookie Co. (which I just had for the first time earlier today)
14 Likes

For those who didn’t see or have no idea what we are talking about basically team chemistry isn’t gonna be an issue this year :joy:

9 Likes