Cleveland Cavaliers hire John Beilein

Some of that falls on the WOJ BOMB…his son didn’t even know the news was breaking…

Patrick Beilein’s week began when he looked at his phone and saw the news had broken that his father, John, was going to coach in the NBA.

The first-year Niagara men’s basketball coach knew his father was getting serious about NBA coaching opportunities. But he didn’t expect to wake Monday morning to the announcement that John, who coached at Canisius from 1992 to 1997, is joining the Cleveland Cavaliers after 12 seasons as coach of the Michigan men’s basketball team.

“The Woj-bomb dropped a little early,” Patrick Beilein said, laughing as he referred to ESPN reporter Adrian Wojnarowski, who broke the news. “But this is extremely exciting. Dad’s intrigue about the NBA has been over a few years now, in watching games, and his style of play has evolved, and it’s kind of translated to the NBA.

“When the opportunity to coach in Cleveland came about, he saw that he’s going to coach the best players in the world, and he’s going to continue to coach and develop those players.”

2 Likes

I hate the thought that if I happened to meet John Beilein, I’d have no idea what to say to him. I’m having a really tough time squaring this circle. I think I understand all of his supposed reasons for moving on, but at the same time, I feel like he betrayed the program. To think so highly of someone for so many years, then to go through all of this, is just so weird. Not a good feeling, and I hope I get past it quickly.

9 Likes

Thinking less of him is stupid. He didn’t betray anything. It’s legitimate to be annoyed, but he certainly owes nobody here anything. This is when nba teams hire coaches, so the timing is what it is.

I’m extremely bummed, and I have a feeling this new job isn’t going to go as he invisioned. But if I saw JB right now I’d say Go Blue and thank you.

10 Likes

Based on what you’ve posted in the past, and the fact it’s even a quandary for you, you’d thank him for all the amazing games he’s coached and how fortunate we’ve been as fans.

2 Likes

My thoughts are my thoughts, and aren’t always accurate, but I don’t think anyone’s ever called them stupid, at least to my face. :slightly_smiling_face: I don’t need that, so that’ll do it for me.

Great site, great engaged forum, and I’ll always be a member and reader. Dylan and Co., you guys are the best, and I’ve learned a ton about the game from your work. Hopefully, this rebuild ends up looking much more like a reload and Michigan can remain the prominent program that it is. I’ll always be a fan.

Yeah, you’re probably right.

Well said. That’s exactly where I’m at too. Interesting to see others say the same about Beilein, notably Spath yesterday on twitter. I’m sure that in time it’ll change, and it’ll be easier to join the folks already able to pivot to appreciation. For now, Warde Manuel is a convenient and likely a wholly deserving target of much of that frustration. Could be wrong but this could be the same basic athletic department John Bacon wrote about in Three and Out. I wonder if it could borrow Jim Hackett for a few days this week?

I apologize. A lot of people are losing their minds right now so I’ve got a little too quick of a stupid trigger right now.

I haven’t been able to watch any of the montage or throwback videos that have been posted on Twitter and the like. Just too tough right now

2 Likes

Agreed, yeah. For me personally it’s been a good time to answer a few more telemarketing calls, and to be my worst self in the process…

4 Likes

I don’t begrudge J.B. at all. He was an amazing coach that rebuilt the program when it needed it most.

Sure the timing of his decision was not good, but that isn’t really his fault. That was just the way it played out. He wanted a new challenge and was turned off by the state of the college game and I can’t blame him for either of those things.

3 Likes

I don’t understand why the NBA fans here get so angry when someone mentions that they dislike it and don’t watch it. To me, it’s a product, rather than a sport, designed to appeal to people by skewing the rules in favor of as much scoring as possible. I also just dislike the culture that exists in the NBA. Even NCAA hoops are not what they used to be, in my opinion. That said, I wouldn’t try to convince anyone who enjoys the NBA not to watch it or tell them they are unwelcome to share their opinion about why it is something they enjoy. Suum cuique.

2 Likes

Well, if it helps my son and I met him after a game this past season and I still have no idea what I said to him…kind of dumbfounded in the moment from our chance meeting and I was unprepared to speak to someone I hold in such high regard. Maybe that’s an argument to sell beer at Crisler as I may have been more relaxed. :wink:

Every perception of his genuine character rang true - he was on his way to his post-game presser and stopped to thank my son for being a fan, asked him how he enjoyed the game, took a couple photos - it honestly felt like a caring grandfather we were catching up with. A good man.

2 Likes

Special moment, and one you’ll remember for a lifetime! How old is your son?

I had a similar experience with Steve Fisher nearly three decades ago. We met him in the tunnel outside the locker room. My son always waited in the tunnel for autographs until the players left the locker room. Fisher came out and I said something like, “Great game, Coach” or words to that effect, and he was kind and gracious to my son and I. We spoke for a minute or two, about coaching, and he thanked me for working with young kids. He looked at my son and said, “Did you have a good time today, son,” and Brandon said shyly, “Yep,” or something to that effect, and then Fish said, and I’ve always remembered this, “I’ll bet your dad had a great time, too” and he gave me a knowing wink. Time spend with your son, doing something you both love is priceless.

And THEN…the scandal and the fall out of the Fab Fab, Martin, probation, banners taken down…all of it. Truth be told, I don’t feel the same disdain for Steve Fisher that some others on this board do. And I REALLY want to see a Fab Five Reunion. When you get to be my age memories are important, and I choose to remember the good ones! :wink:

3 Likes

I don’t judge people for liking or disliking leagues or levels of competition. I’m a big soccer fan and I like certain leagues more than others for various reasons. Lots of different styles and strategies. That’s what makes it a great sport. Basketball is much the same way IMO. I will question people when they pop into a thread regarding the topic and judge the people that do like it with statements like “I don’t know why anybody would like this league.” It doesn’t happen here a ton, but if go to a place like MGo, every NBA and soccer thread that pops up has plenty of posters going to that topic to let everyone know they don’t like it and if you do, you’re soft or weak or a numpty head or whatever. To me, those people are far more annoying than someone that defends what they like (depending on the method of argument of course).

3 Likes

Exactly, it’s the “Current NBA is terrible I stopped watching a decade ago” kind of takes that draw ire. How can you say it’s terrible if you don’t watch it? For example, the post in this thread that caught flack was someone saying he doesn’t understand why anyone would pay money to watch the NBA

4 Likes

And I guess defending it automatically qualifies as “getting mad” now…

1 Like

Not at all. I don’t think your response a bit earlier in this thread was angry in the slightest. You suggested people should watch a game in person, or something to that effect. Perfectly reasonable. I was referring primarily to a couple of the other replies received by non-NBA fans above.

Skimmed through a bit of the thread so I might be missing a comment

My son had just turned 10, so we splurged for some 2nd row seats for Senior Night. Still living in poverty after that - now there’s a silver lining from our possible gravitation back toward mediocrity, the ticket prices for lower level may be reasonable again! Who knew it would be Coach B’s last home game.

That’s a pretty apt comparison and a similar exchange to how ours went - Fisher and Beilein definitely seem to share some general personality traits. And I’m with you, I choose to prioritize the positives each brought to the program.

Silverblue - I imagine you being fishing buddies with Beilein and Fisher in an ideal world!

1 Like

One of them took what I saw as a snarky swipe at the intelligence of another poster. The same one, and another, appeared to suggest that he shouldn’t have shared his personal opinion.

However, I realize I worded my message very poorly. Yours was not the only measured and congenial response from an NBA fan above to criticism of the league. Using the words “the NBA fans here” was my mistake, as it implied a uniformity of replies from among them, which was not the case. My apologies.

Even to those whom I think replied unfairly, I understand that everyone is more testy and on edge here than usual (I’m quite new to participating in the forum, but I’ve been reading it for a couple of years) due to the present circumstances of the program.