Cleveland Cavaliers hire John Beilein

1 Like

What about us???

3 Likes

I think we need to form a support group for the fans of JB.

I am pretty sure JB would find it creepy if I explained to him how much his leaving has hurt my feelings.

12 Likes

JB leaving is end of an era for me. My son graduated from UofM in 2011. We would go to Crisler, get tickets there for face value and still get pretty good seats. We were texting each other when Novak, Douglas, and crew beat MSU. We were at Crisler when Burke made that great steal to win the game against MSU, and the following year Stauskas got red hot and we beat MSU. JBā€™s teams won a ton of games. JB is an elite and unique coach, more analytic than charismatic, and a hall of fame coach. Nothing last forever and its been a great run.

8 Likes

Nice post. Those times spent with your son, going to games, spending precious time together doing something you both love is very special. My son and I did the same during the eighties, and the magical 1989 NCAA Championship team. Then we were there for the Fab Five. Eraā€™s change and they end. Memories last.

I was also there during the heartbreak of the late nineties and the early 2000ā€™s, through the Ellerbe era, and then Tommy Amaker. And then, we got a guy named Beilein. Who? John Beilein from West Virginia. What? Not another coach from West Virginia.

We took out lumps early, and then that Beilein guy just changed the culture. He returned Michigan to the program I had seen as a boy in the mid sixties, and with my son during the late eighties and early nineties. Under Beilein, Michigan Basketball was back. But, sadly, the era has ended.

One thing I know is that eraā€™s end, but new ones begin. Sometimes it takes awhile, but there are always new beginnings. I hope this one begins sooner rather than later. I would be fun for me, and I hope we would all agree, to begin this new era with a blast from the past, with a star from a former era, an era of great excitement. And I would like for that era to continue to grow, rather than to end abruptly and painfully as that one did.

I also know that memories of good times with your son (or daughter) last a lifetime. Sometimes they go back over fifty years to a time one fell in love with Michigan basketball when he was a boy! Thanks for sharing your story and some of your memories UofMJBfan! Go Blue!!!

11 Likes
2 Likes

Intro presser streaming in about 10 minutes.

Presser begins at 11:15 for those interested.

I typically donā€™t say too many negative things on public websites but whoever this guy is who is acting as the emcee for the Beilein presser, the guy is pretty inept. I say this as a guy who has done a fair amount of public speaking and who has made my share of mistakes, but this guy is not very good. Of course, I might be biased as there is not much I like about the Cavaliers organization. Well, other than their coach, and Iā€™m not happy heā€™s their coach!

5 Likes

LOL, that is Dan Gilbert - owner of the Cavs. I donā€™t disagree, though.

5 Likes

Haha yeah Dan Gilbert isnā€™t the best public speaker. Heā€™s also an MSU grad.

1 Like

Well, Iā€™ll say this at the risk of sounding too arrogant. Iā€™m a very good public speaker but I sure donā€™t have a lot of money. Dan Gilbert is a multi millionaire, but heā€™s a lousy public speaker. I guess you donā€™t have to be particularly eloquent as a speaker or comfortable in front of people to be financially successful. But then, I consider myself to be pretty successful, too, in ways that are important to me, but which have nothing to do with how much money I have (or donā€™t have!). I guess Iā€™m a bit of a throwback.

As I listen to John, I really hope he does well in Cleveland. He continues to be a class act, and Iā€™m thankful we had him in our Michigan family for the last twelve years. Iā€™m glad Iā€™ve had the opportunity to watch him, and listen to him, and learn from him. Go Blueā€¦ALWAYS!

3 Likes

Billionaire* :wink:

I almost spit out my drink at you calling him the emcee though, well done. (And yes, his intro was cringe-worthy)

5 Likes

I had to wonder whether Silverblue was being humorously disingenuous with that one!

2 Likes
3 Likes

Uhhh, yes, I was. I knew it was Dan Gilbert. I just was hoping I might get a little chuckle out of it. As for being a billionaire, a billion IS a multiple millions like a thousand of 'em! :smile:

Oh, and I also know Dan Gilbert doesnā€™t give a ratā€™s ass what little old silver haired silverblue thinks of his oratory skills! :rofl:

3 Likes

I hope he leverages this spot into getting to a much better franchise to close out his career. Otherwise his career will end very unceremoniously, most likely.

I think heā€™s smart enough to realize he isnā€™t winning a championship in Cleveland. I think if he brings them to the playoffs and say wins a series thatā€™s a huge success.

Hopefully itā€™s on his terms instead of Dan Gilbertā€™s.