Chris Webber

Still has plenty of beef with Jalen Rose. Sounds like had quite a rant on the Dan Patrick show today.

Chris Webber on the Fab Five doc…“A lot of people…after they retire or they’re looking for a job or they want to be relevant…they go back in time and kind of…make sure their importance is really known…when one guy has a million highlights of himself…as if he was the leading scorer and all the stories are embellished, it’s hard for me.”

Chris Webber on now…laying into the Fab Five documentary…jabbing those who made themselves “more relevant” than they actually were.

“Somebody wants to be Hollywood and make it about them.” - Chris Webber on Fab Five doc.

“I don’t want to answer that honestly…in the mood that I’m in.” - Chris Webber on if he had a do-over…go to Michigan or Michigan State.

Via
https://twitter.com/PaulPabst

Dan to Chris Webber…“If I gave you a mulligan (go to Michigan or Michigan State)…knowing what you know now?”…Webber: “Don’t do that…don’t do that…don’t do that. The truth is this. I don’t want to answer that honestly…in the mood that I’m in.” @dpshow

Regardless of whether Chris ever owns up to the Martin scandal, I’ll forever be a fan of him because of the entertaintment that the Fab 5 provided, and he was obviously a huge component of that. The guy was everything you wanted in a big, highly skilled in terms of ballhandling and passing, a great athlete…and an absolute beast in terms of toughness.

That era was my most cherished basketball memory exclusive of the Showtime Lakers of the 80s…it was just so electrifying to be at those games.

1 Like

It is really unfortunate (but somewhat understandable) that Chris is still so upset about everything.

I was young when the Fab 5 were at Michigan, but they were just so much fun to watch. They really were so much cooler than any other team–their impact went beyond what they did on the basketball court.

Jalen was always my favorite because he was the ringleader, but Chris was a close second.

1 Like

At least he’s not bitter.

3 Likes

I have mixed feelings about this. Loved the Fab Five, as I entered Michigan the same year they did (fall 1991). Webber was one of the most talented players I’ve ever seen. He probably reached 75% of his potential and was still an NBA all star and likely Hall of Famer.

But seriously, what the hell is his problem at this point? Just admit you broke the rules - which is beyond dispute - and that’s it. He wishes he had gone to MSU why, because they like probation better than we do? He’s a very smart guy, but he’s been treated like a king since he’s been about 12 years old, and thinks he’s completely above reproach for anything.

1 Like
It is really unfortunate (but somewhat understandable) that Chris is still so upset about everything.

I was young when the Fab 5 were at Michigan, but they were just so much fun to watch. They really were so much cooler than any other team–their impact went beyond what they did on the basketball court.

Jalen was always my favorite because he was the ringleader, but Chris was a close second.

Chris was always a bit awkward with the rest of the guys…he was actually a resident of Detroit (lived in the Rosedale Park neighborhood) on Biltmore street, which was almost considered a ‘suburb’ at that point in time. Whereas guys like Juwan (south side of Chicago) and Jalen (grew up on the Tireman and Livernois section of Detroit) were more gritty in relation to Chris…Chris wanted to be like those guys from a cultural standpoint, but he simply wasn’t that type of guy, and I think it bothered him to a certain extent that he wasn’t considered ‘hood’. Jalen was most certainly the leader of the group from a vocal standpoint, whereas Chris may have been from an on court performance standpoint.

1 Like

For me, Webber’s volatile attitude was one of the things that actually made the Fab Five even cooler. As I’ve said before, I still think the practice facility should have a huge print of that photo with the Five huddled around Webber, who was sitting on the rim. To remind recruits that no team – not Wooden-era UCLA, Jordan-era UNC, mid-80s Gtown, nor 38-1 Kentucky – ever came close to matching the cultural impact of that Michigan squad.

I always felt that documentary should have been made, but not by one of the FF. It does come off as patting one’s self on the back. I don’t see it as Jalen’s attempt to remain relevant, but rather an attempt to preserve what he views as a legacy. Jalen is still very relevant in many ways. OTOH, Webber seems a bit petulant over this for no reason. He could have been part of the documentary, but chose not to - on the grounds that he would write a book telling his story or do his own documentary. I’m waiting. I agree with MattD that Webber had a thing about being a “Detroit” kid as opposed to the suburban middle class kid going to a private school that he was. He liked to play up that he drove an old car and didn’t have money for pizza. Mitch Albom bought that, but it’s bs. Webber is very bright, even charming guy, aside from his basketball prowess. But he has issues, even more so than Jalen. His intimation that he would have gone to MSU knowing what he knows now is also bs. Whatever happened to his insistence that he loves Michigan and is a Michigan man at heart? I actually feel bad for Jalen. He’ll be asked about this. I hope he just says that it’s time to move on - but he probably won’t.

I always felt that documentary should have been made, but not by one of the FF. It does come off as patting one's self on the back. I don't see it as Jalen's attempt to remain relevant, but rather an attempt to preserve what he views as a legacy. Jalen is still very relevant in many ways. OTOH, Webber seems a bit petulant over this for no reason. He could have been part of the documentary, but chose not to - on the grounds that he would write a book telling his story or do his own documentary. I'm waiting. I agree with MattD that Webber had a thing about being a "Detroit" kid as opposed to the suburban middle class kid going to a private school that he was. He liked to play up that he drove an old car and didn't have money for pizza. Mitch Albom bought that, but it's bs. Webber is very bright, even charming guy, aside from his basketball prowess. But he has issues, even more so than Jalen. His intimation that he would have gone to MSU knowing what he knows now is also bs. Whatever happened to his insistence that he loves Michigan and is a Michigan man at heart? I actually feel bad for Jalen. He'll be asked about this. I hope he just says that it's time to move on - but he probably won't.

Not me, I hope Jalen says what’s actually on his mind. I can’t stand the PC talk…just be realistic in a respectful way.

1 Like

Webber is so immature. Being a Kings season ticket holder I was able to watch the glory years of his career and have followed his post-playing days to some extent. Matt D nailed it, Chris never was comfortable with who he was/is and he’s been unable to get over it his entire life. It’s actually sad to see because he’s such a likable personality, but he constantly shoots himself in the foot when it comes to relationships. It’s very telling that you look at all the ex-Kings that are a part of the organization in some way and Chris is not. Vlade is now the head of basketball ops, Richmond an owner, Christie, Henry Turner & Bobby Jackson part of the game coverage, Brad Miller, Pollard, Peja etc. all come around on occasion to take part in events. The only major guy that doesn’t really come around at all is Webber. They did a series of “Legends” nights this year and brought different players back - they scheduled Webber on a night they knew he’d be in town broadcasting the game and he made sure everyone knew he wasn’t there for Legends night - he was just there to work. Why go out of your way to be an ass?

2 Likes

My cousin went to DCDS at the same time as Webber. They are right next to each other in the school yearbook. That was a pretty big deal to me when I was younger. In retrospect, it’s not that big a deal… Sorry to have wasted your time.

1 Like

Chris Webber and Charles Woodson are by far my favorite Michigan athletes of all time.

Chris Webber and Charles Woodson are by far my favorite Michigan athletes of all time.

Gotta throw Denard in there for me…just such a likeable kid that truly loved UM. Could’ve jumped ship when we went with Hoke, who completely wasted Denard’s talent, but stayed the course. Can anyone imagine just how bad we might have been but for Denard during the RR/Hoke years?

JBlair, I hear you. I would only add Tim Biakabatuka, Jalen Rose, and the late Robert Traylor. (Can I have 5 faves?)

Chris is by far my favorite athlete as well. Was in HS down the road 4y behind the fab five in AA and I think that regardless of what they did after playing their final game together in 93 (or anything now), they will be my #1 team indefinitely, in any sport, period. Hard to fight what influences you as a teenager. A lot of affinity for Nike from this time as well.

Not diminishing my view of the team at all, Jalen/Chris aren’t w/o some degree of fault in the current situation. I don’t think its debatable that Chris handled the scandal in a fairly slimy way, and I do get sick of seeing jalen on TV 24/7 and being very public about his relationship with Chris. I don’t doubt Chris could do a better job of managing relationships and taking the olive branch thats being extended, but it makes it hard to mend when Jalen is on every media outlet adding compression to that already damaged relationship by talking about it, calling him out for the F4, etc. That would piss me off too.

Webber is my favorite basketball player ever. The Fab Five made me a basketball fan.

First and foremost Webber is a businessman. That said with his book coming up upon release (when is it?) I see this as a calculated move. Controversy creates cash! Putting this out there now drums up interest in people reading and buying the book.

Obviously relationships within the Fab Five with Webber and Webber and the university are strained. However up until now Webber has for the most part just dismissed conversation around it and separated himself from both the Fab Five and Michigan. But just continuing with that doesn’t make people want to pay and read Webber’s story as much as now some might think to themselves, “wow he is going in on these guys a bit now. I want to read more!”

Full interview…

No, its not understandable. Its ridiculous that he plays the victim. Webber has taken zero responsibility for his actions, failed to cooperate, lied under oath, plead guilty to a felony and still shows no remorse or accept any culpability. I can’t imagine how he could have handled any of this worse. I have no use for him.

2 Likes

It’s understandable in the sense that this is the position he’s always taken; however off based it is.