Chris Webber

It's understandable in the sense that this is the position he's always taken; however off based it is.

Got it. Yea he’s been consistently off base from the beginning.

Webber has a legit point about Jalen. During the final 4 I was tired of seeing Jalen talk about getting the fab 5 to the games everytime he was on tv. I wanted someone to tell him to close the yearbook.

Unfortunately Jalen is the only one around to tell the stories. Wish Chris would have also. Jalen is just so proud of that team whils webber’s Pride is in himself. His existence revolves around his lies and his delusions. I was truly dissapointed when he insinuated he might choose to MSU if he had to do it over again. That tells us all we need to know about what Webber means to the current program. He’s a ghost and he’s not coming back from the dead. One of the true shames in college basketball. There is no redemption for the proud.

Jalen fires back……

"“One dude traveled then called timeout. One dude lied to grand jury and hasn’t apologized. One dude tried to circumvent the documentary to HBO. One dude ignored multiple requests from everyone involved after agreeing to participate. One dude played like (President) Obama and sat in a suite during Michigan’s recent title game. One dude slandered Ed Martin after all he did for him and his family. One dude is not in contact with the other four (which is all good). One dude has been doing a rebuttal doc for four years. One dude clearly is delusional and still in denial,” Rose said of Webber in messages to Larry Brown Sports.

“Congrats on your amazing success! Respect had no price. Man up.”

3 Likes

…it was the Fab Five. They had more attitude and dawg than anyone in their day. Why would anyone think that they’d be singing songs and holding hands after all the crap they’ve been through?

I understand Webber’s perspective but he is fighting a losing battle. Had Chris apologized years ago, he would be driving the narrative and garnered much respect. Sullen millionares get little sympathy

1 Like

Is Chris really that upset or is this all orchestrated drama to gain interest in his upcoming book?

Seems a little fishy this is in the sporting news now. It wouldn’t surprise me one bit if Jalen and Chris are in on this together. Or at least have an understanding of the purpose of the bickering

If I was Chris Weber’s agent, this is exactly what I would be telling him to do. Get on the radio/tv/twitter etc and say what you have to say to rile up the sports world so they’ll want to buy your book.

Webber will never be able to admit his culpability. D-E-N-I-A-L at the highest level of delusion has always been his mantra. Playing the innocent victim allows him to continue to believe he did nothing wrong. Does anyone really believe that?

1 Like

I’d rather read the Forum than his book!

Someone needs to tell these two to be quiet. They look like a bunch of grade school girls.

Anyone hear Jimmy King this morning? I missed it but heard it was a bit less childish and more balanced.

I see if he is mad, but the school itself did nothing to Webber. Take pride in where you went to school. When he was asked if he could do it all over again, he basically showed without saying he would have went to Michigan St. Lost respect for him.

The million dollar question: Where does Ray Jackson stand on all of this?

Listened to Jimmy King’s interview, and he was much more balanced. Still he called some of Chris’ comments flat out lies and basically said, “Chris has issues with us, but damned if we know what they are.”

2 Likes

mpbear14, Webber made about $160 million during his playing career, and I have no doubt he gets paid nicely to be an analyst on TNT. So if he really needs to create controversy by making unfavorable comments about Michigan to drum up book sales, well, that’s pretty pathetic.

As I see, this is the reality. Webber has been treated like a basketball God since around the age of 12. Rose and the others, while very good players, were not. Webber was a once-in-every-10-years type of power forward talent. I believe Ed Martin’s money went to Webber’s parents, not him, and thus he doesn’t feel responsible for it. That, and he’s had an attitude of entitlement for so long that I’m sure he’s convinced himself this is what happens with ALL players of his caliber, and thus he did nothing wrong.

The other guys are upset because, somewhat understandably, they had no ties to Ed Martin (other than Jalen saying Ed gave him “running around money” from time-to-time), and Webber’s actions led to taking down the banners at Crisler, and vacating wins, tarnishing the legacy of the Fab Five, when it was really one guy who caused the damage. The fact that he’s unwilling to apologize for it, I’m sure, makes things worse. And I think Jalen was offended because he views Martin as a good guy who tried to help kids, while Webber trashed Martin and called him a guy who “preys on” kids. In that situation, who knows? Martin obviously had a very different relationship with Webber and his family than he did with Rose.

The issue I have with Webber is that what he and his family did caused a lot of damage to the basketball program, so it would be nice if he would at least acknowledge that and apologize a bit for it. Instead, his attitude seems to me, “If you want the #1 recruit in the country, this is part of the deal,” which is absurd. I promise you USC fans don’t feel like getting Reggie Bush was worth the probation, and Michigan won a title only three years earlier in 1989, so Webber was not a desperation play.

And hey, if he goes to MSU, then what? Their supporting cast was decent, but not nearly as good as ours. I’ll take Jalen, Juwan, Ray and Jimmy (and Eric Riley - let the Big Ten in rebounding as a 7-1 sophomore the year before the Fab Five arrived) over Respert, Eric Snow, and Ken Redfield. Both teams would have been good, but not elite, because back in those days guys like Christian Laettner played four years of college ball. And if Webber thinks MSU would react with more understanding to the Ed Martin scandal, and probation, I doubt it.

He might have actually played some defense in the NBA if Izzo had coached him, though.

Wasn’t it down to duke and Michigan for him ?

I will love the Fab 5 forever and cherish the memories they gave me, but I do not like the constant in-fighting.

Sweet more Fab Five content for us!

Unfortunately it’s coming from a convicted felon, a compulsive liar and a guy who has trashed the program and his teammates for years. I have zero interest in anything Webber has to say.

2 Likes

Not a felon, from my google search haha. Judge ruled it should be treated as a misdemeanor.

4 Likes