Caleb Houstan, Moussa Diabate selected in second round of 2022 NBA Draft

And as Sam Webb pointed out today, none were born in America

4 Likes

Are you listening Youssef Khayat?

2 Likes
8 Likes
10 Likes

Nice guaranteed ~ 4.1 million payday to start your twenties. Heā€™s with Jason Glushon right?

4 Likes

Thatā€™s correct.

2 Likes

I wonder if the third year not being guaranteed is a way for the Magic to essentially have two team-options.

1 Like

It is. This is basically a late 1st rounder contract as far as structure

3 Likes

Yeah itā€™s basically two team options.

The salary is actually at the rookie scale for the 23rd pick in year 1.

I guess the difference is that there is no qualifying offer/RFA process on this deal, which is probably better for him anyway.

2 Likes

Yep, and this is why ā€œfirst round pickā€ isnā€™t exactly the bar anymore. Most early 2nd rounders end up with similar contracts.

3 Likes

Except heā€™s not guaranteed to get paid the last two.
Whereas first rounders are.

Iā€™m 99% sure that rookie contracts in the first round are guaranteed for two years with two years of a team option.

I believe the back end of the first is around $11 mil total this year if both options are picked up.

Update: hereā€™s an explainer:

Team has option to keep them on the roster, but has to pay them if they donā€™t is my understanding. Which is why Houstanā€™s salary for his third year is described as not guaranteed.

If the options arenā€™t picked up, the player doesnā€™t get paid. But you pick an option up a year ahead, and it is rare not to pick up an option on a 1st rounder like that.

The non-guaranteed language in Calebā€™s deal has to do mostly with team flexibility in those future years where Orlando has the flexibility to cut him up until the middle of the 3rd season but also still controls his rights due to the team option.

If there wasnā€™t an option in year 4, he would have to go to waivers. Instead, if they turn down the option, they still have his rights as a restricted free agent after his 3rd season.

6 Likes

No. Teams have a deadline at which point they have to pick up the team options. Usually the third year is the right before their second season begins. And the 4th year is right before the 3rd season begins. If the options are not picked up, the player becomes a free agent and is not owed any money.

3 Likes

No, if a team doesnā€™t pick up the option (rare) they donā€™t get paid.

1 Like