Caleb Houstan, Moussa Diabate selected in second round of 2022 NBA Draft

Hooray for Moussa!:hushed::slightly_smiling_face:

14 Likes

Come on everyone! More enthusiasm for Moussa here! I was afraid he wouldnā€™t get picked, and he got a picked pretty high. Our two guys did well and made the right decision. We should be proud to have put two more guys in the league!
Iā€™m particularly excited to have Houstan playing with Franz. But so happy Moussa will get his shot. He was always considered ā€œrawā€. Now he has the opportunity to translate this into real production by putting 100% of his time on it.
Go blue

23 Likes

Good for Moussa and Caleb. As far as our expectations over the last couple months, it feels like both got a best case scenario. Especially Moussa. I canā€™t wait to watch them !!!

7 Likes

I am especially happy for Moussa who has most likely acquired life changing money for his family. He talked up Michigan to Big Papa Kante too so I will be rooting for him for life.

19 Likes

Articles about the Clippers mentioned they were looking for players willing to take a 2-way contract. Diabate seems to fall into that category. Probably best for him to get lots of time in the G-League anyway.

3 Likes

Probably a good situation for him on a two-way. He needs a lot of work but he has the tools (physically and mentally) that you want to bet on.

4 Likes

What are the implications of a two way in terms of contract value? Will it definitely be lower / non-guaranteed or not necessarily?

1 Like

A two-way is around $500k if you fulfill your NBA time, I believe.

3 Likes

It would be really cool if Trey Burke ends up released and decides he wants to move to Florida to create the first ever all-Michigan lineup. Or maybe the Magic can sign Walton/Simpson/Smith to a camp invite.

Good thing Hunter didnā€™t work out for them this off-season or the Magic probably make him a draft promise because of where he went to school!

Iā€™m skeptical weā€™ll see much (if any) of Houstan or Diabate on an NBA court this season, but they definitely made a good decision and should end up making decent money while they fight their way through the G-League to make these rosters. I still look at a guy like that Wake Forest kid and think Houstan could have played his way into a mid-first selection next year, but the delta in money isnā€™t so significant that the risk is probably justified.

I crashed before the Clips took Moussa, but was very happy to see him drafted when I checked my phone waking up this morning. Hopefully he puts it all together and sticks in the league for a very long time!

3 Likes

I think all of us, as Michigan fans, couldnā€™t be happier for either Caleb or Moussa. Their dreams of being drafted to the NBA have come true. Now, it is up to them to show what they can do, to dream even bigger, and to work their tails off to accomplish those dreams.

I was one who was skeptical of them staying in the draft, though I didnā€™t say much about it here. I thought they should come back for another year, not only because I am a Michigan fan, but also for them and their development. I Honestly, I wanted to see them in a Michigan uniform for another year, but I also thought they needed another year, and that that would be in their best interests as well as ours as Michigan fans. I was wrong. They were drafted 32 and 43. I am proud of them as a Michigan fan, and I congratulate them. Now go do great things, young men! :blue_heart: :blue_heart: :blue_heart:

6 Likes

When can a two-way contract play?

Players on two-way contracts are eligible to play in 50 of their teamā€™s 82 games. When the contracts were initially introduced, players were limited to 45 days with the team, which included practice and travel days. The change to 50 games has greatly benefitted teams and players.

When not playing, two-way contracts can still practice with the team, travel with the team, and sit on the bench during games as an inactive member of the team. They can also spend time on the teamā€™s G League affiliate. For Golden State, this team is the Santa Cruz Warriors.

Two-way contracts are ineligible for postseason rosters.

What is a two-way contract paid?

Players on two-way contracts are paid a flat rate that is equal to half of the leagueā€™s minimum salary. However, these contracts are not guaranteed, so the players can be cut at any point, and will only receive their salary up to that point.

Unlike in the initial years of the rule, a two-way contractā€™s salary does not change based on how many games they play.

They changed the parameters during Covid I believe. But yeah basically about $500k but you can be cut at anytime.

1 Like

I bet we see about as much of Houstan as we did Livers.

I wonder if Moussa wouldā€™ve returned if he were allowed to receive NIL money. Anyone know if Clippers are good at developing talents. It is good that Clippers has a lot of 2nd round and undrafted players on their roster. On the other hand, I can only think Mann being drafted by Clippers.

Yeah, with these two, we have to consider that they were (probably) not going to be able to get NIL money. If they had been, you could make a stronger case for them to stay in school and try to raise their stock.

Canadian citizens probably can but I am not 100% sure.
My understanding is that the current rules on NIL are very loose and there has to be some work around for international athletes. below are some crude ideas,

1. The athletic department set up some entities to hire international athletes on H-1 visa, and they can still register as students.
  2. They can route the NIL payment through an entity in EU to pay Mousse
  3. Mousse can set-up an entity, and the NIL money goes to that entity.
  4. Crypto which i pretty sure have loopholes.
3 Likes

The craziest thing about the Magic having 4 recent Michigan players on their roster is that all 4 of them played at Michigan between 2015-2022 and none of them were teammates.

Moe - 2015-2016 through 2017-2018
Iggy - 2018-2019
Franz - 2019-2020 through 2020-2021
Caleb - 2021-2022

20 Likes

If I were Moussaā€™s agents, Iā€™d be pushing for that 1-2 year guaranteed/partially guaranteed contract - itā€™s about 50/50 given his draft position.

If I were the team, of course, that 2-way fits very nicely.

This is fantastic trivia

3 Likes

Itā€™s very possible that as a condition of being drafted that high (assuming the mocks were relatively indicative), he gave up his negotiating leverage relative to the draft position. In other words, already agreed to a standard two way.