By the numbers: What's wrong with Michigan's offense?

After Villanova, there is more reason for optimism on offense, but your analysis remains spot on in a time where 3 point shooting is paramount. We have two elite or near elite dribble drivers in Matthews and Iggy and a third player in Z who can drive but is small and has to spend most of his energy on defense and running the team. We have no prospective shooters at the moment except for Livers (moderately proven) and Brooks (unproven) and Poole (figuring things out) or perhaps Iggy. I also believe that transition baskets are hard to come by against sound, high-major defensive teams anymore. Unless several someones can develop a consistent 3 point shot, it will be an ā€œuglyā€ year on offense again. That might be enough though. :slight_smile:
Great article, Dylan. Thanks.

1 Like

Brazdeikis has played a lot of minutes for a team thatā€™s given up 44, 37 & 46 points in its first 3 games. I was actually pleasantly surprised by how well he held up on the interior, both from a defensive and rebounding standpoint. It wouldnā€™t appear from the game scores that his defense is holding the team back too much.

If people are looking for a player to concerned about, itā€™s Poole. Heā€™s too talented to be struggling to find himself in year two. Itā€™s to the point where Iā€™m wondering if Brooks isnā€™t the better player at that position.

Youā€™re totally right. Iggy definitely proved me wrong last nite!

As has been pointed out, heā€™s coming into a new role in a couple ways: (1) a lot more minutes and (2) a new position. He currently is not getting open, catch-and-shoot, three-point attempts at the 3-pt line. Heā€™s had to jab step to create space several feet behind, and while he can make those, they are clearly more difficult shots.

From what Iā€™m seeing, it looks like he is really focusing on what he needs to do when he has the ball and is looking to create for others more than himself. It would behoove him to work on what he needs to do when he doesnā€™t have the ball. But itā€™s not like heā€™s playing along side guys, other than Simpson, who are playing with their heads up. When Matthews and Iggy are driving and drawing defenders, theyā€™re not exactly looking for the open men, Poole being one of them. And I havenā€™t noticed it too closely, but Iā€™m guessing he is getting covered tight in transition and is not getting open that way.

Iā€™m confident he and Beilein will make sure they find a way for him to be more involved.

5 Likes

The first play of the game was scripted to get JP involved right off the bat. Youā€™re right, Coach B will figure out the best way to get him going.

1 Like