Big Ten vs ACC Challenge

I'm watching UK vs Texas..........UK can't play any worse, they are missing all their shots and Texas has doubled them up on the boards........and it just doesn't matter, the UK defense is just that good. From a pure athletic standpoint, they simply impose their will on the opposition and force you into submission. This team has a legit chance to go undefeated in my opinion, their defense is That good.

Their shooting just looks so bad though, if they were playing in another conference I would say that might cost them a game, but there is no one in SEC that will have a chance.

But watching that game makes you appreciate what Morgan was able to do against Ridley in the tourney last year.

Ridley did ABSOLUTELY nothing tonight, so what makes you say that?

I know everyone and their brother will disagree, but I can't help but to think the B10 is overrated on a consistent basis considering the championship drought. 3-5 years might be chance, but 14 years is not pure chance. We have a deeper conference on average, but our supposedly elite teams are no match for truly elite teams in the SEC, ACC, and Big East. In other words, the top teams from those conferences are better than the top teams from the big ten. All that to say, so what if we have 7 decent teams, we can't win a championship. So how can we truly be the best conference if we can't beat the best teams?

The SEC can’t be that bad considering our season ended at the hands of an SEC team and we we’re put to the brink by another.

Your last sentence is just wrong. The SEC was a joke last year. Sure - Kentucky was better than Michigan that day, but it wasn’t like Michigan couldn’t have won that game, they were right there with them at the end and for most of the game. One team does not define a conference as better than another. Florida was very good last year also. That’s where it ends with that conference last year. Tennessee - you are really stretching Matt. They barely made the tournament to begin with. Michigan controlled that game until they started to choke on the inbounds passes.

So Memphis went to the championship game with DRose. Does that mean that Conference USA was better than the Big Ten that particular year?

I know everyone and their brother will disagree, but I can't help but to think the B10 is overrated on a consistent basis considering the championship drought. 3-5 years might be chance, but 14 years is not pure chance. We have a deeper conference on average, but our supposedly elite teams are no match for truly elite teams in the SEC, ACC, and Big East. In other words, the top teams from those conferences are better than the top teams from the big ten. All that to say, so what if we have 7 decent teams, we can't win a championship. So how can we truly be the best conference if we can't beat the best teams?

The SEC can’t be that bad considering our season ended at the hands of an SEC team and we we’re put to the brink by another.

But that’s kind of the point. Kentucky won’t face much competition playing in the SEC because they are one of a couple elite teams. Whereas, whether the B1G is overrated or not they would be much more likely to lose a game if they had to play through the B1G.

To be clear though - I do tend to agree that the ACC and Old Big East were better conferences than the Big Ten in the timeframe you reference (2001-2014).

Ridley did ABSOLUTELY nothing tonight, so what makes you say that?

Hmm… Looking at the stat line guess you’re right. Was tuning in and out of the game. He just looked strong against ketuckys size. Looks like Holmes did well, maybe just confusing big guys

There have been 5 different B1G teams to play in the championship since 2000 though, which is more than any other conference. And since its single elimination once you get to the championship it’s a lot more a of toss up to actually win.

I’ll say this in closing…for the past 3-5 years it is probably true that our mid tier teams are better than most other conferences. But is also true that our top tier teams are not as good as top tier teams from the other power conferences. I guess it just depends on your criteria, do you prefer depth or a few truly elite teams? Good arguments to be made on both sides.

I'll say this in closing.........for the past 3-5 years it is probably true that our mid tier teams are better than most other conferences. But is also true that our top tier teams are not as good as top tier teams from the other power conferences. I guess it just depends on your criteria, do you prefer depth or a few truly elite teams? Good arguments to be made on both sides.

I’ll agree with that.

But I feel like talking about the truly elite teams is almost looking beyond conferences. Because it’s not like the elite of those conferences change from year to year, Kentucky has won 45 sec, Kansas has won almost every Big 12, and Duke or UNC has won almost every ACC.

Can’t stand this logic.

1. First of all, I don’t think the Big Ten was the best conference in basketball if you go back 5-10 years. Probably not even top 2 (ACC and Big East). The notion that the Big Ten has been the best conference in basketball stems back just the past few years and NCAAT wins supports that. FWIW, the Big Ten was the #1 rated conference by KenPom’s AdjO and AdjD in 2010, 2011, 2012, and 2013. Objective, empirical data says that the Big Ten has been the toughest conference in basketball the past few years.

2. I don’t think anyone really says that the Big Ten has the most elite teams. At least I know that I don’t. I say that the Big Ten is the deepest conference with the most amount of good-not-great teams.

3. Rating overall conference strength on which conference has the best team is incredibly stupid. Was the ACC the best conference in football last year when the ACC won the National Championship? Absolutely not. Was the Horizon League the 2nd best conference in college basketball the years that Butler went to back-to-back National Championships? Absolutely not.

Kentucky is elite this year. One of the best defenses I’ve ever seen. Kentucky being the best team in basketball does not mean that the rest of the SEC is also good.