Big Ten vs ACC Challenge

Interesting fact for those saying UK is not very good offensively…they have the #3 offense per Kenpom

Duke looks scary good. What I would give to have a guy like Okafor on our team...

The beauty of having a dominant post player like Okafor is that you really don’t need to run an offense, you simply dump the ball on the block and the defense has three choices. A) concede 2 points. B) foul. C) double up and give up an open three or driving lane for a cutter

A dominant post player just opens up the court for everyone else. Tyler Cook come on down

Not sure you can compare Tyler Cook to Jahlil Okafor… Having a lottery pick on your team is a plus whether he’s a shooter, slasher, shot blocker or a post scorer.

Demetrius Jackson gave Trice fits tonight, he was on him like white on rice on defense. I wanted Djax more than Walton out of HS, Walton was better last year but I think Demetrius will ultimately be the better player in college, the kid is so gifted athletically. He’s a great 2 way player

Loved Demetrius Jackson, but he was always going to Notre Dame… Not really as much of a point guard as Walton though.

Tyus Jones was incredible tonight… 22 on 7-of-11 (2-3 3pt), with 4 assists and six rebounds? That’s filthy production by a freshman point guard at the Kohl Center.

Duke looks scary good. What I would give to have a guy like Okafor on our team...

The beauty of having a dominant post player like Okafor is that you really don’t need to run an offense, you simply dump the ball on the block and the defense has three choices. A) concede 2 points. B) foul. C) double up and give up an open three or driving lane for a cutter

A dominant post player just opens up the court for everyone else. Tyler Cook come on down

Not sure you can compare Tyler Cook to Jahlil Okafor… Having a lottery pick on your team is a plus whether he’s a shooter, slasher, shot blocker or a post scorer.

Obviously Cook isn’t on par with Okafor, but I think he has the tools to be a really nice post threat on offense. Reminds me of Carlos Boozer the way he finishes so well with the left hand. Okafor is on another level

Interesting fact for those saying UK is not very good offensively.......they have the #3 offense per Kenpom

I heard that when Bilas was calling Duke/Wisconsin. I do think more than a little of that is because when your defense is good enough that you’re not just making people miss shots, but you’re blocking and getting in transition, you’re in position to just overwhelm your opponents.

Interesting fact for those saying UK is not very good offensively.......they have the #3 offense per Kenpom

I heard that when Bilas was calling Duke/Wisconsin. I do think more than a little of that is because when your defense is good enough that you’re not just making people miss shots, but you’re blocking and getting in transition, you’re in position to just overwhelm your opponents.

Exactly…

Exactly…

You will get no complaints from me. I do think part of how you defend against that is scheming (send back X many guys to try and defend in transition). But it for sure is an advantage. I’ll not get into this too much further, as it starts to draw into coaching style discussions which are touchy. But that type of defense to offense is something that Michigan has somewhat experienced previously and is not so far replicating this season.

Personally, I’d live with a few more TOs if it meant we run more.

Personally, I'd live with a few more TOs if it meant we run more.

I think there are players on this team that will get there, but they aren’t as ready to do that out of college (ED: high school) as you’d probably like.

Let me give an example of what I’m talking about. You look at a Zeller/Oladipo Indiana team that THRIVES on transition. That is seemingly becoming clear the reason why Indiana had 2 seasons of relatively elite offensive efficiency when they were on the team.

I’m now realizing you are referring to more TOs taken on our side in a trade to run more in transition. My apologies.

I think we have enough players to run a more uptempo offense. Derrick is a one man break himself, Zak has been filling the lane and finishing, and Caris is great at jumping passing lanes and generating live ball TOs

It looks like the Big Ten’s second and third tier teams carried the day (since Wisconsin, MSU and OSU all lost).

This was brought up by a UK fan on the national board and was responded to by another UK fan with this:

"Meh… I will allow my eyes to convince me to take the KenPom rankings after 7 games with a grain of salt. Kentucky can’t make FTs and they have only one guy that is making jump shots with any consistency. They are not getting what they want very often in halfcourt sets and a lot of their scoring is enhanced by their defensive prowess. I think they have a great shot at getting things rolling offensively but they are not there yet just like Duke isn’t there yet defensively. If we go out and execute and score well in halfcourt sets tomorrow night against a great Def team like Texas then I will start to drink the kool-aid. "

Just another angle to consider. That team is loaded, though. It looks like Kentucky, Duke, and then everyone else this year.

I’d tend to agree with most of that, much the same that I would tend to say our half court offense isn’t great. We get points by protecting the ball, thus we get more shots than the opposition. I don’t see us as a dominant offensive team in a half court set. Nevertheless we are a very good offensive team regardless of how we get the points.

I’m watching UK vs Texas…UK can’t play any worse, they are missing all their shots and Texas has doubled them up on the boards…and it just doesn’t matter, the UK defense is just that good. From a pure athletic standpoint, they simply impose their will on the opposition and force you into submission. This team has a legit chance to go undefeated in my opinion, their defense is That good.

I'm watching UK vs Texas..........UK can't play any worse, they are missing all their shots and Texas has doubled them up on the boards........and it just doesn't matter, the UK defense is just that good. From a pure athletic standpoint, they simply impose their will on the opposition and force you into submission. This team has a legit chance to go undefeated in my opinion, their defense is That good.

Their shooting just looks so bad though, if they were playing in another conference I would say that might cost them a game, but there is no one in SEC that will have a chance.

But watching that game makes you appreciate what Morgan was able to do against Ridley in the tourney last year.

Yup. UK is that good and the SEC is that bad.

You gotta wonder how that game goes if Texas isn’t missing their star PG and playing at Rupp Arena.

I know everyone and their brother will disagree, but I can’t help but to think the B10 is overrated on a consistent basis considering the championship drought. 3-5 years might be chance, but 14 years is not pure chance. We have a deeper conference on average, but our supposedly elite teams are no match for truly elite teams in the SEC, ACC, and Big East. In other words, the top teams from those conferences are better than the top teams from the big ten. All that to say, so what if we have 7 decent teams, we can’t win a championship. So how can we truly be the best conference if we can’t beat the best teams?

The SEC can’t be that bad considering our season ended at the hands of an SEC team and we we’re put to the brink by another.