Big Ten Tournament: Michigan vs. Michigan State Preview

You may be right, but Izzo is a veritable maniac when it comes to beating Michigan. He will do or say anything that he thinks might motivate his players. But you’re right, PK or 1 point either way, pretty meaningless. What is meaningful, though, is the way Izzo is able to get his team up for this game. That’s what really scares me. Well…and Cassius.

We lost to OSU 3 times in 2011 (not that there was any shame in losing to that OSU team).

Last year we beat Purdue in the tournament after 2 regular season loses, so we have that going for us.

6 Likes

Other memorable occasions from the more distant past: beat OSU in the 1992 elite 8 in the Fab 5’s first year after losing to them twice in the regular season … and also kind of a meh game against a meh 1989 Illinois team in a game whose stakes I can’t remember but probably weren’t very significant.

6 Likes

If they lose to Sparty again, that 0-3 would be most memorable thing to have happened this season. Only way to obscure that would be to win the big dance.

1 Like

I’m not sure…i just don’t recall.

We’ll know soon enough.

I was at both our games so far, and heading to the stadium now. My sense was that Michigan had the biggest crowd yesterday, but MSU was a close second. Lots of Michigan fans picked up seats from upset Purdue fans on Friday night. I’d bet a decent number of Wisconsin fans had tickets today, but but UM and MSU fans were there to scoop them up.

1 Like

If we make the Final Four I won’t care about our record against anyone.

6 Likes

Talking about past results in the third game after two prior defeats is completely meaningless as it relates to today’s game – Beilein era or otherwise.

What’s more important… Can Michigan slow down Cassius Winston in the ball screen? Can Michigan score more efficiently when MSU switches 1-5? Those two questions, along with potential foul trouble (I guess) will determine who wins today.

3 Likes

Lots at stake. Missing out on two different banners because of directly losing to Michigan State would be sad. A March run could obviously change how this team is remembered, but I still believe with my heart and soul that this year, Michigan is the better team. Today is another great chance to prove it. If things go wrong, I’ll be rooting for another opportunity to knock MSU off in the biggest tournament.

Getting tri-porked by Izzo will damage my inner basketball fan. I find that I’m dreading this game.

1 Like

Now that you put it that way I am too!