Big Ten Tournament: Michigan vs. Michigan State Preview

1 Like
1 Like

Coach B has been excellent in preparation for almost every matchup the last 2 years, and clearly this year, with the exception of solving MSU defensively in 2019.

I cross my fingers that Yaklich and Beilein have the right elixir tomorrow.

IMO I thought Michigan had some good moments defending MSU in both games, but did not lock in for the full duration of the shot clock at times.

This is a tough cover when Winston has a floater game, mid range game, pull up 3 game, and a drive and kick game. What adds salt to the wounds is that Tillman, Goins, and McQuaid are excellent finishers.

Matthews should be the primary defender against Winston. I think heā€™d really disrupt what heā€™s able to do better than Simpson can.

1 Like

Agreed, his extra length allows him to recover faster and disrupts Winstonā€™s passing lanes. Really think Matthews would completely shut Winston down.

Winstonā€™s points havenā€™t really been on X. Heā€™s getting screened every time down. Thatā€™s as much on the guy guarding the screener. But agreed that its worth giving that a shot considering nothing else has worked

Weā€™ve had time to adjust and readjust to Winstonā€™s tendencies.

Time to see a plan to defend him produce. End of story.

Winston has been struggling from 3 lately. 4-20 (20%) in his past 6 games, 8-35 (23%) in his past 8. Heā€™s also 1-9 so far against Michigan. Clearly stopping him from 3 hasnā€™t equated in Michigan wins, but if he gets hot from downtown I donā€™t think Michigan has much of a chance.

I donā€™t think we have to completely shut Winston down, just limit his overall production by 5-7 points and play decently everywhere else on the court. I think Charles will help make that happen. The ā€˜tough to beat a good team three timesā€™ onus is on MSU.

1 Like

As long as we allow Winston to rest on the defensive end, he & Tillman will run X through meat grinder screens on the other end all game long. And MSU will win.

I really think we need to move the ball around until we get Winston guarding, then play iso basketball and force him to guard/foul. We mix that up with a bunch of ball screens when Winstonā€™s in off-ball coverage, and force him to guard Poole/Iggy. No way can Winston stay with themā€¦and that opens up the offense as well.

2 Likes

Iā€™m not sure that Matthews on Winston is the answer. However, a fully-capable Matthews is a bullet Michigan has basically not had in two games against MSU, and I am optimistic that he can make a difference.

It has been really hard for Michigan to stop Winston once heā€™s gotten rolling in the second half, and the frustration has been a combination platter with serious offensive struggles. We havenā€™t seen what a game would look like where Winston was playing well but Michigan was answering everything on the other end; two games weā€™ve seen Winston go off as Michiganā€™s offense runs dry.

Matthews is less of a solution there. Perhaps the solution is something like Livers at the 5, pulling Tillman of the lane. Or rescreening Tillman when he switches on to Simpson (itā€™s not that he keeps Simpson from driving, itā€™s that he swallows up passing lanes and remains close enough to block shots). I donā€™t know, Iā€™m not the one paid the big money to win basketball games. But the guys who are paid that money are pretty good at it.

2 Likes

No offensive droughts this time. Something besides hedge and recover or at least make an adjustment on D.

1 Like

Who would X guard? McQuade?

That ā€œhard to beat 3 timesā€ thingy, didnā€™t work out too well for Minnesota yesterday.

3 Likes

They were going up against a March Beilein team, which is a whole different animal :slight_smile:

1 Like

As I recall, these BTT championship games are often a little ragged, as legs get weary and outside shooting suffers as a consequence. I could see this being like the game in Ann Arbor in terms of 3-point shooting. If so, can we win with 2s?

I love basketball and its the third year in a row watching UofM in the BTT championship game, it doesnā€™t get any better than this.

Is it too early for a green beer ?

1 Like

Wild cardā€¦itā€™s very hard to beat a Beilein team three times in one season. To me the MOJO will swing with Charles in the mix. Iā€™m sure VEGAS has that covered but Iā€™m curious if the Winston Ankle blew up overnightā€¦time will tell. I just donā€™t recall a JB team ever losing 3 games to the same team in one season.

GO BLUE!!!

1 Like

I think we better drink some maize or blue beer today!

3 Likes

Unless Iā€™m missing something, the spread on this game opened at MSU -1 and is up to MSU -7.5.