Game 31: Michigan at Michigan State Preview

2 Likes

Yes slowing down Winston is key, but I thought Michigan was too focused on him in the first meeting to the point that they allowed other MSU players to get easy baskets. You canā€™t forget that heā€™s a lethal passer, and I would be more focused on trying to limit his assists than his points. Michigan can win even if Winston scores 30. They canā€™t survive with McQuaid/Goins/Tillman going for 43(!) like they did in the first game.

6 Likes

When I say stop Winston, I donā€™t necessarily mean his scoring. I mean frustrating him with ball screen defense so that he canā€™t create those easy baskets that you are talking about.

4 Likes

If Michigan wins this game and somehow wins the big ten tourney, a number one seed should be Michiganā€™s. It probably wonā€™t be but it should be.

The number of top 25 victories this year has been absurd.

I am still annoyed that Gonzaga was annointed a 1 seed for one winning one game in November and then playing chumps since.

3 Likes

Spot on analysis!

Michigan will win this game.

3 Likes
6 Likes

I second that.

This game is where JB should shine on preparation and adjustments. Weā€™ve had almost a week to game plan. Letā€™s sic ā€˜em now and WIN.

3 Likes

Will todayā€™s presser be posted?

Sorry, we had a scheduling issue and werenā€™t able to make it. Hereā€™s Beilein.

4 Likes

Iā€™d like to see 4-5 minutes a half from DeJulius and have him pick up Winston full court. Keep X fresh and put pressure on Winston.

2 Likes

Ok, there you have it! JB, regrading Teske, ā€œstep back threeā€™s, thatā€™s our planā€!

3 Likes

:rofl: Thereā€™s certainly been a more sarcastic side of Beilein these last few years.

Yeah. That was his way of saying he isnā€™t saying the plan lol.

1 Like

And have Winston torch DDJ for 8-10 minutes? We were outscored by 7 at Maryland when Simpson was on the bench. Iā€™d hate to see the carnage against MSU. No thanks.

1 Like

Iā€™ll just say that attributing team +/- to a single player and then drawing conclusions on that from a three minute sample is pretty dicey.

That said, while I think DeJulius is not as destructive as that cherry-picking suggests, Iā€™m not clear on why there is a perception that he defends on a level to dog the leagueā€™s best player full-court.

To my eye our biggest problem - especially without Matthews who can sort of find his own shots - is that we cant really play offense without X.

1 Like

Canā€™t tell if youā€™re referencing me, but thatā€™s not what I did at all. The fact that DDJ has barely played at all is a pretty good indicator that heā€™s not going to magically come in and harass Winston. In fact, why wouldnā€™t we expect the Big Ten POY to light up a seldom-used backup?

Agreed, no time to play around with player number 2. Z can play the whole game or take a break when CW is on the bench. We should have a few extra TV timeouts tonight. Every possession will be crucial to get the winā€¦gotta make the threeā€™s!