Big Ten Tournament: Michigan vs. Iowa Open Thread

Well I doubt we’ll ever face the elder again… although I am very happy we beat him in his last game at Louisville

5 Likes

All those late game bombs killed Michigan’s three-point efficiency! :joy:

2 Likes

Does Fran have any younger kids besides his incoming recruit? Would like to keep him around Iowa as long as possible.

We absolutely choked them out and they (with the exception of Cook) completely rolled over. They have too much talent to have the record they do. They are supposed to return everybody next year and I still won’t pick them above the middle of the pack in the B1G.

Only one stat matters now!

Great to see Eli leading “Hail to the Victors” in the locker room.

6 Likes

I’ve been the biggest of Eli’s doubters, but he just played a massive shift in the first half when it still mattered. Simpson went to the bench with a two point lead, and I felt really uneasy.

Some ugly offense ensued, but Brooks canned a three, then forced a jump ball, then dropped a dime, and forced another loose ball.

The game swung and never swung back.

8 Likes

I think losing some time to DDJ lit a fire under his ass. He must have had a “F*** it” moment and decided to stop thinking so much.

1 Like

I thought Izzo and Coach K were the only coaches who coached to the final whistle.

1 Like

Purdue shares the ball so well on offense - it really was fun to watch. But man…Eastern could not handle Coffey, and Murphy ground Haarms into dust. Seeing it live, I really didn’t like Haarms at all. He lost composure, but clearly flustered with how physical Murphy was, and got pulled twice for a talking too.

I’m not sure what Eastern is for. At one point, he beat a reserve in the paint on two straight possessions. After that?

Eastern is a bizarre player. Not a point, not a 3, atrocious shooter. Freakish (in a bad way) FT form. Quick feet though. Must be the D.

3 Likes

Glad to see you’re posting on here again, Coach! I’ve been supporter of Eli all year, and I enjoyed watching him play yesterday! I’m hoping for some even bigger performances going forward because, as you surely know, he’s very capable.

I know it’s been a tough year for Eli. Confidence can be a fragile thing. When a young man has had all the success he has had, and then begins to struggle it can be so hard to fight through. One thing I know is that he hasn’t stopped working, HARD, all year. Credit to him, his family, and all of his supporters. I am cheering for the kid as much as I’m cheering for my WOLVERINES!

5 Likes

Loved how happy everyone was for him.

2 Likes

I agree with you. He definitely has the potential to be a great back up and contribute 8 to15 points consistently. i had hoped he would take the same sophomore jump that X did. Maybe it will click and he’ll really have a great end of the year and junior/senior career.

3 Likes

Eli did something last night that I can’t remember seeing him do before. He drove into the lane from the left side and there was nothing there. Instead of stopping and picking up his dribble and likely committing a turnover, he kept his dribble alive and circled back out of the lane. Small play, but huge growth. Keep it going, Eli.

3 Likes

I’ll tell you what, he can shoot it, too. Seriously you don’t score 30 a game in high school without the ability to shoot. I’m waiting to see a 12-14 point performance with 4,5,6 assists. He can do that.

Interesting that Foster Loyer scored 14 yesterday for Sparty, but folks over on RCMB previously had been posting that he was terrible, and can’t play at this level, and should transfer to, like, Oakland, I’m not even a Foster Loyer fan, but I was glad to see him break out a bit. Really, just to silence his critics at least for a day or two.

Anyway, I like our eight man rotation with Charles back in the lineup, Isaiah coming off the bench providing a spark and spacing the floor, Eli coming in, playing very good defense, now hitting some shots, and Castleton giving JT a blow for 6-8 minutes a game. Let’s keep it going men!

7 Likes

I am absolutely certain they’ve seen him do it in practice and they’ve been waiting for it, too! Let’s hope that confidence comes back on a fulltime basis! Confidence is a BIG deal!

2 Likes

Eli shot only 2-6 last night, but the huge thing was that the two makes were from three. Would take that every game.

To me, there were two things that were most impressive with Eli: first of all, he was hunting shots on the catch and shoot and ready to let fly when received without hesitation, and secondly he made some of the sweetest touch passes I’ve seen all year proving he has excellent court vision. I can’t wait to see him in a guard position and play that way for an entire game.

1 Like

The pass to X on that insane hook/layup definitely suggested that those guys could be a danger duo down the road.