Big Ten Open Thread: Week of 1/13

Harris much more of a spotup shooter this year. Hasn’t impressed me to be honest - not sure if this is injury or just regression/good scouting. They are not the dominant force they once were on the inside in terms of rebounding/post scoring - they’ve taken a step back from Nix and inserting Costello/Kaminski/Gauna (forgive spelling) with respect to rebounding/inside presence.

No doubt, still a great team, but I don’t think we’re in danger of a 25 point beatdown this year, especially if Payne isn’t healthy.

Oh I’m not saying they can’t be beat. Anyone can be beat this year.

I think an injured Garry Harris is still much more of a dangerous to break our defenders down off the bounce than anything on Iowa’s roster.

They can’t rebound well. Agreed. Iowa does that well, plus they shoot it better, but Payne isn’t exactly a cupcake in the middle.

Sarcasm aside - so you basically agree with me that Iowa is our worst matchup? That's my take on it.

Yeah - I don’t like our lack of depth in the front court vs. them.

I’d probably rather play MSU & OSU than Wisconsin & Iowa. Just my 2 cents.

I think MSU is skilled but if they have to go to the bench, I like our chances.
I think OSU is tough defensively but I don’t think they can keep up with our offense.
…sucks we play OSU 1 time and it’s in Columbus.

I think OSU is our easiest matchup on a neutral court and then Wisconsin. Iowa and MSU are good on both sides of the ball so it’s just hard to envision us beating them.

We really got to hope the defensive intensity we displayed against PSU in the first half increases in longer intervals and intensity every game we play from here on out.

Oh I'm not saying they can't be beat. Anyone can be beat this year.

I think an injured Garry Harris is still much more of a dangerous to break our defenders down off the bounce than anything on Iowa’s roster.

They can’t rebound well. Agreed. Iowa does that well, plus they shoot it better, but Payne isn’t exactly a cupcake in the middle.

Payne, if healthy, is our worst nightmare on both ends of the court. Just think, we probably have to deal with that type of player next year in Noah Vonleh.

Oh I'm not saying they can't be beat. Anyone can be beat this year.

Payne, if healthy, is our worst nightmare on both ends of the court. Just think, we probably have to deal with that type of player next year in Noah Vonleh.

At least our perimeter defense should be better lol

I come in here to hopefully see a great conversation going, but instead, find the same characters continuing to throw worthless jabs via the internet. Can you guys stop bickering? It’s ridiculous. Have an opinion but be open to others without Junior High name calling…

With that being said, that was a huge win for IU last night. They now have an elite win which will help them come March.

I will say this, I do feel Wisconsin may be a bit overrated right now. They certainly aren’t the 3rd best team in the nation. MattD is correct, they have taken a huge step back Defensively and in Rebounding.Don’t get me wrong, they are worthy of the #3 ranking as they have taken care of business so far, but don’t pass they eye test.

With that being said, although i don’t see us winning at the Kohl Center, I do think we cover the spread (Last I checked it was 6), as we have alot of confidence right now, and I truly believe we will be able to score on them. I think it will be closer than most expect on Saturday. We will need to keep the TO’s below 10 to have any chance.

I come in here to hopefully see a great conversation going, but instead, find the same characters continuing to throw worthless jabs via the internet. Can you guys stop bickering? It's ridiculous. Have an opinion but be open to others without Junior High name calling...

Agree. The back and forth stuff needs to go. I haven’t done a good job of keeping up with it but am going to in the future.

I come in here to hopefully see a great conversation going, but instead, find the same characters continuing to throw worthless jabs via the internet. Can you guys stop bickering? It's ridiculous. Have an opinion but be open to others without Junior High name calling...

+1. I love reading the forums and getting other people’s takes on UM basketball and CBB in general. However, there are some threads I just click on to get rid of the “XX new” notification and don’t even bother reading because I don’t feel it’s worth the time.

You do realize the back and forth was settled on the first page and bringing it back up only rehashes it?

On another note, if Payne sits, we will be more than fine against MSU.

An another note, Josh Jackson went for 39 & 26 last night against Country Day.

You do realize the back and forth was settled on the first page and bringing it back up only rehashes it?

Indeed, but it’s not just on this thread and it does take away from my enjoyment of the rest of the forum.

An another note, Josh Jackson went for 39 & 26 last night against Country Day.
Let's try to split stuff like this into a new thread in the future.

Purdue up on Illinois in Champaign. If The Illini loses that meltdown is going to be something else.

If we don’t go * at least * 4-1 against Minn, Illinois, Purdue and Nebraska, I’d be incredibly disappointed.

It’s early and some of this will be answered as early as Saturday but starting to think the tiers are more like

Tier 1
Iowa
MSU if Payne is healthy

Tier 2
OSU-Mich-Wisc
Scheduling in OOC gave the illusion of some gap between those two and Mich, but all 3 teams only play one side of the floor at an elite level

Tier 3 (no order)
Ind maybe they can move up?
MSU if Payne becomes their McGary
Everyone else

So which teams in the Big Ten (or the country, for that matter) are playing BOTH sides of the floor at an elite level? What objective measure makes a team’s performance “elite” on offense or defense?

It's early and some of this will be answered as early as Saturday but starting to think the tiers are more like

Tier 1
Iowa
MSU if Payne is healthy

Tier 2
OSU-Mich-Wisc
Scheduling in OOC gave the illusion of some gap between those two and Mich, but all 3 teams only play one side of the floor at an elite level

Tier 3 (no order)
Ind maybe they can move up?
MSU if Payne becomes their McGary
Everyone else

Disagree. I think Wisconsin and OSU are in Tier 1. I don’t see them losing more than 4-5 games all year.

So which teams in the Big Ten (or the country, for that matter) are playing BOTH sides of the floor at an elite level? What objective measure makes a team's performance "elite" on offense or defense?

Iowa performs at an elite level on both ends of the floor

MSU when healthy has the same capability

Also, when I do tiers that isn’t any indication of how I think the B1G regular season will go but how good the teams actually will be come Selection Sunday.

OSU scoring too easy for my liking