Big Ten Discussion

Player of the Week

Bruno Fernando, Maryland
F – So. – 6-10 – Luanda, Angola – IMG Academy

• Posted a pair of double-doubles in two Maryland victories averaging 17.5 points and 12 rebounds per game while shooting 72.7 percent from the floor (16-of-22)
  • Tallied a career-high 25 points and grabbed 13 rebounds while making 11-of-12 on field goals in the Terrapins’ win over No. 22 Indiana
  • Opened the week with 10 points and 11 rebounds in an 82-67 road victory at Minnesota
  • Leads Big Ten in field goal percentage (68.5) and blocked shots per game (2.24)
  • Earns the first Big Ten Player of the Week honor of his career
  • Last Maryland Player of the Week: Melo Trimble (Feb. 20, 2017)

Freshman of the Week

Romeo Langford, Indiana

G – 6-6 – New Albany, Ind. – New Albany

• Equaled career-high with 28 points, along with three assists and two rebounds in narrow loss at Maryland on Friday
  • Scored 20 points in the second half as he made 8-of-14 from the floor including 3-of-6 from 3-point range
  • Leads Big Ten freshmen in overall scoring with 18.8 points per game
  • Second in scoring in Big Ten conference games with 22.0 points per game
  • Earns his fourth Freshman of the Week honor and second in as many weeks
  • Third Hoosier to earn at least four Freshman of the Week honors joining Cody Zeller (seven in 2011-12) and Noah Vonleh (seven in 2013-14)
  • Last Indiana Freshman of the Week: Romeo Langford (Jan. 7, 2019)
1 Like

Haven’t seen much of them, so I have been trying to figure out how much of a threat Maryland is and are they for real? Then I looked at their schedule:

Feb. 1 @ Wisconsin
Feb. 6 @ Nebraska
Feb. 12 vs. Purdue
Feb. 16 @ Michigan
Feb. 19 @ Iowa
Feb. 23 vs. Ohio St.
Feb. 27 @ Penn St.
March 3 vs. Michigan

Given the history of Turgeon teams collapsing as the season goes on, plus them relying on a lot of young players/freshman I can’t see them surviving that stretch of games in the Michigan/MSU tier. They have some losses to come before this and even if you give them all the home games, 2-3 on the road of of those games may still be a bit high. I think that will play them out of the top tier.

1 Like

Couple big ones tonight:
Neb @ IU (-2)
Wisc @ MD (-3.5)

Lotta early need here, everyone but MD with recent losses and upcoming tough schedules. Think I might like the home teams.

I like the home teams too, but both the road teams are pretty much in need of a big win/road win. I just don’t think I see it here though

You think so?

Indiana forgot they are playing. At home, down 25-9.

Then IU makes a run to make it 31-22 at the half.

Big win for Nebraska. Starting off the tough 5 game stretch on a high note.

Brutal offensive performance at home by Indiana against a Nebraska team that hadn’t been good defensively.

Maryland has had an extremely soft B1G schedule to this point. Their wins are: Penn St, Rutgers, Minnesota, and a Nebraska team allergic to winning on the road (tonight aside). I’ll buy into them if they split this week @ OSU and @ MSU.

/whisper voice: So has Michigan :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I completely agree, which is why I’m one of the few around here not automatically assuming we’re better than MSU. But unlike Maryland, UM actually went out and played good teams in November.

1 Like

That is very true about Maryland’s non-conference schedule. An absolute joke. Just was comparing their conference schedules thus far.

(As I bash Maryland they proceed to beat the crap out of Wisconsin). This Wisconsin offense is having an atrocious couple of weeks.

Can’t wait for Wisconsin to play like the team everyone briefly thought they’d be this Saturday and hand Michigan their first L :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I think Wisconsin is better than they play. At some point they need to prove it. So far not very athletic.

No question they will step up vs Michigan, the number 2 team in the country at home. That’s a given. Its almost a given that teams will step up when playing ranked conference foes at home.

1 Like

I have the same terrible feeling

1 Like

Totally agree, I expect their best game of the year. They need good wins down the stretch, they have trouble scoring.

1 Like

I didn’t like the thought of playing at Wisconsin since the beginning of the season. Now it’s an even worse feeling. Perfect storm for a crowd storming the court. Nervous all over again

1 Like

Yea, them totally wetting the bed is a perfect storm for playing their butts off against Michigan. That said , I honestly believe as long as Michigan brings the intensity/intelligence on d we saw the first ten games, that they are the best team out here.