Big Ten Basketball 2022-23 Discussion

Was Illinois defense that bad or was PSU just making shots?

1 Like

I think Penn State has more talent than they’re given credit for

Guys with multiple years of solid power conference play are really valuable even if they aren’t as flashy as young nba prospects

Like I think most of us would trade backcourts with them just for this season right

1 Like

They shot their threes at a high clip, obviously but I’d say the biggest issue is that Pickett is much better offensively than anyone trying to guard him is at defense

Illinois wasn’t bad offensively in the first half but I find their offense really stilted. They can’t always get the ball to the possession finishers the way they’d like to, I’m not sure Skyy Clark has any clue what he’s doing yet.

I agree here but the current situation is we are reviewing fingernails, toenails and tenths of a second for hardly any reason but we can’t review a literal game deciding play.

So we either need no reviews and accept the calls or create a different/better system where something like this doesn’t happen.

7 Likes

Illinois was shutting PSU down to start the half and then psu hits 3 straight 3s to completely silence the crowd

Illinois runs a lot of actions through Hawkins and I just don’t love that. He’s a solid passer but he’s basically their PG at times today and I don’t think he’s THAT good

3 Likes

I wonder whether die hard Illini fans think of Coleman Hawkins like many of us thought of Johns. BJJ never had the highs we see from Hawkins, but the variability in his play and some of the total bone headed things he does are maddening. One of those players who is less than the sum of his parts but flashes enough of that to see what might be possible.

1 Like

Haven’t watched the whole game but I don’t really see any similarities? Is Hawkins’ game particularly variable? I guess just because of the turnovers? His numbers are down in this game because he got two early fouls, right?

Think Hawkins is in an interesting spot as a playmaking big in his first year starting. Going to always be a learning curve there. Big responsibility for a unique player. Johns was basically never anything like that, just a catch and finish second big really.

Also, apparently Andrew Funk is the best shooter in the conference :rofl:

2 Likes

Penn state didn’t score for 5 mins and Illinois got it down to 5. Now a 14-0 run by PSU. Illinois about to be 0-2 in conference

2 Likes

You can’t fake the Funk.

1 Like

Except Johns was the worst finisher around

3 Likes
5 Likes

11-16 from deep for Funk-Dread on the road

2 Likes

Made threes cure all ills

1 Like

Pickett is really good, but it’s their shooters, like Funk, that won them this game. If you’ve got a guy that can do ok for Pickett straight up, I’d make them play ISO ball with Pickett and take the others away

2 Likes

If you’ve watched this game, it’s not flukey

Funk and Dread are 11/16 because they’re shooting shoot-around jumpers, and they’re both good shooters

Pickett is the best player on the floor.

I think Hawkins is not the problem for Illinois at all - the problem is not that he does too much on ball, I think it’s that they NEED him to do so much on ball.

As a supplementary option his passing and ball handling is great, but he’s not getting used supplementarily

Does anyone want to try to explain to me why RJ Melendez gets more tick than Dane Dainja?

Hunter dropped a new pod and brought up how he received new info about the Terrence Shannon situation. He said Mark Adams and Brad Underwood are “boys” and so Mark Adams wanted TSJ to play for Underwood and not Juwan so Mark Adams wouldn’t let TSJ take credits at TTU for Michigan but just Illinois

8 Likes

Elite graphic

2 Likes

I don’t think Shannon has graduated yet, so I don’t think Hunter is correct (at least UI’s site suggests he is still pursuing his bachelors)

I have watched a fair amount of Illinois since my eldest son is in the band there. Hawkins is waaay better than Johns so that’s not my argument. My point was that he does a handful of really dumb things per game that result in turnovers, fouls, or hero ball misses that make you want to pull your hair out when you see how talented he is most of the time.

I do think ILL is still figuring out how to fit their pieces together and you cal tell by how much screaming Underwood does at his players. Their freshmen are up and down each game, Shannon is very good but as a secondary playmaker rather than the alpha, etc.

Penn State is a dangerous team this year. They have a quality PG (maybe best in the B1G this year?) and a bunch of good shooters. If the shots are falling, they can keep up with just about anyone. Need to run them off the line when they get hot.

1 Like