Big Ten Basketball 2022-23 Discussion

For a guy who does read the rule book, it’s amazing how often Bilas is wrong on his ref rants.

1 Like

This is completely where I am at. Get rid of all that minutiae that we spend time reviewing and be able to look at a play where literally the outcome of the game is on the line.

I hate to even ask this but should we look at coaches having a challenge? It seemed like Pikiell knew they were both out.

1 Like

Honestly, there’s so much that’s arbitrary in sports, so many games where many calls do not survive close scrutiny, that choosing where to plant the flags just adds more uncertainty, often. But I like the way coaches have 1 challenge in football, and then lose a further challenge if wrong (think that’s how it works?) because it adds more fun game theory stuff. And it does make it possible to reverse stuff that’s egregious.

2 Likes

I have been waiting for the B1G statement to come out, and I appreciate that they admitted it was a “missed call.” Of course, admitting it was a “missed call” doesn’t change anything. Ohio State still “won” a game they lost and Rutgers lost a game they should have, certainly would have, won if not for a “missed call.”. The kids work too hard and the coaches are under too much scrutiny and work hard, too, for that to be “all there is.” :worried:

Now, having said the above and other comments I’ve made on this subject, I…could…never…have…been…a… basketball…referee. I am too thin skinned. I wouldn’t be able to make definitive judgements, and be right, in a split second. I’m much too wishy washy. I have officiated some scrimmages in my time and I was…not good. But, the kids deserve the BEST we can be. I actually feel bad for the official that “missed the call” and for the entire crew. But I feel worse for the Rutgers players.

The league, or the NCAA, has to do more than just “educate” or “rule reinforcement.”
They must find a way that when a “missed call” literally changes who wins or loses and it occurs in the last seconds of the game so there is nothing the players can do about it, not play harder, not make the next shot, nothing, that it can be adjudicated in a timely manner on the spot.

2 Likes

How about they just stop letting teams stroll out of bounds at their own discretion at the end of the game against Rutgers? Last night was bad, the Penn State game I posted about up the thread was bad, but the worst of all was the 2011 Big East tournament game against St. John’s. The Johnnies intercepted an inbounds pass with Rutgers down 2 and the guy (top of the court near midcourt) runs to the sideline and chucks the ball into the crowd with 1.7 left.

I realize this is basically ancient history and that team stunk anyway and these situations have surely happened elsewhere around college basketball in the decade-plus since but it’s kinda wild that three different, blatant sideline violations have gone against Rutgers in big to huge spots. A conference tournament game, a must-win March game, and a road game at a top 25 team.

Okay, it’s out of my system now. Promise. How about that Indiana-Arizona matchup tomorrow, huh?

7 Likes

The way you frame it, I actually might say we get rid of all reviews and just use coaches challenges. Maybe give them 2 challenges to use for the game? It does add some game theory to it that would be interesting. If Pikiell wants to use a challenge to see if a ball went off a fingernail and doesn’t have ability to challenge the play at the end of the game then that’s a decision he can make. It just feels like a system like that would lead to less reviews and more meaningful reviews. I’m sure there is some pieces I am missing though lol

3 Likes

I think that’s an interesting approach. The only real downside is that if the refs are having a bad night or a coach is antsy and you burn your reviews … Then a bad play can’t be fixed. There may also be some things like the time on a clock or foot on the three point line that should always be reviewable. Basketball is also a faster game so getting your challenge recognized before the ball is back in play is different than football.

2 Likes

Any challenge you use that results in a call overturned you get back. So if the refs keep getting things wrong you can keep challenging.

3 Likes

I think the halfway measure that college and pro hoops does now is annoying

Either everything is reviewable or it’s not - we’re striving for 100% accuracy or we accept refs get some things wrong and move on

In my view these replays often don’t rectify things - I see calls especially in the “who touched it last” arena that are technically right but feel wrong (the classic strip where the ball glances, like, the ball handlers toe that would never have been made ever pre-replay (remember thisnis how we lost thst Purdue game on the Rahk drive, not that I’m bitter).

But just because a play happens in the last 2 minutes doesn’t make the fallout more important on the scoreboard than one at the 13 minute mark

2 Likes

What kills me about watching Shannon is that he handles the ball *a lot * for an off guard/wing. He has a Caris Levert type skillset that would’ve been really damn useful for this team.

2 Likes

That would be comical to watch. Unlike MLB, where a video guy can quickly tell a coach whether to challenge, coaches would have to rely on their own judgment from the bench while every kid on their team is making the review signal after every call that doesn’t go their way. There would be some funny moments.

1 Like

I think thats what puts the fun into it. Coaches having to make a snap decision. I don’t like it in MLB where the managers already know the outcome before they challenge it. I say put the onus on the coaches who are making millions of dollars instead of a referee who is working their 6th game in a week to correct egregious errors.

As it stands now, the immediate asking of a review by everybody on the court is pretty old. Lets have the coaches figure out if its worth reviewing.

2 Likes

At a minimum maybe we can get a monitor bigger than my cell phone for the ref to look at.

The other option for a change would be the eye in the sky approach to buzz the refs if they need to look at something. That’s another frustration I have in all sports when the fans and announcers and paid retired ref on the broadcast all know the answer and the on court/field official is staring at a small screen for minutes and may or may not get it right.

The clear and egregious evidence has been lost in most sports.

More video review tends to make most sports worse. So count me down as against anything lol challenges that adds more reviews to the picture.

I’m of the view that anything can be automated with machine learning and analytics these days, so if you put it in place and trust it, it will make better decisions than humans, and the decision would not delay games.

1 Like

Coleman Hawkins is doing his Jekyll and Hyde thing again

Not about timing or delay for me. Just about changing how a sport works. Out of bounds calls that would have been fouls, offside given by a toenail because a computer says.

All that stuff makes sports worse. I’m fine if a missed call leads to a buzzer beater occasionally if you just leave everything else alone.

1 Like

Yeah the “technically correct, wrong in the spirit of the game” stuff that requires nuance and judgement

Illinois is a team still looking for its identity. Penn State is an inferior team, talent and depth wise, but that knows its identity.

1 Like