Big Ten Basketball 2022-23 Discussion

it is absolutely wishcasting. I hate him for fifteen different reasons and so I want to push the narrative that he’s out of control and will never succeed again

also, he pretty clearly is a jerk, a coach in the izzo mode of temperament, and it does seem to make his team a mess - calling each other out, his weird (to be charitable) motivational tactics, etc - I’m just not sure it actually matters, given how well he recruits and coaches

1 Like

Worth noting that Underwood pushed Podz out and now he is really good

2 Likes

I def would put Purdue at worst like 4 or 5 mostly out of respect for Painter but they would have serious questions to answer post Edey.

I would guess Bart has them #1 for sure. THeir defense will be soid based on history and all their guys have solid ORTGs

They always seem to have serious questions to answer post someone, and are always in the mix. Edey is a big loss though, so, yeah – gotta expect them to fall down the ladder, but not too too far.

I jsut think that bringing back literally everyone else in thes conference will be a big bonus

1 Like

I think the argument is that a guy like Shannon should have been a difference-maker. If he had come here, we probably would have been a serious league contender and probably Sweet 16 again. At Illinois they had a pretty nondescript season and once again went out in the first weekend.

Wisconsin basically brought back their whole team besides Davis from last year. Turns out losing your All-American best player and returning all role players doesn’t guarantee success. Who would even be the alpha on Purdue next year without Edey?

That said, I understand blindly assuming Painter will put a good product on the floor regardless because that’s what he typically does

5 Likes

Somewhere in the arctic, Brad Davison briefly pauses from clubbing baby seals to cringe plaintively.

9 Likes

yeah, although in that case it felt like wisconsin backed into having a just-good-enough offense even with a guy who had a supernova year. in general, i trust painter to have a good-occasionally-great offense, whereas with wisconsin it feels like pure randomness and not at all replicable if they lose the one guy

1 Like

Yeah, it’s obviously a concern, and pending transfers I don’t think I 'd pick them to win. I just don’t think they’ll be bad.

I also think this Purdue team is a lot better than that Wisconsin team was. So, they’re falling from a farther height.

1 Like
4 Likes

Was Jon’s source Common Sense?

6 Likes

That’s great but will Micah commit to them?

I think they need to do more than pay him - their facilities for hoops are awful.

1 Like

If you can get Micah to commit, it would seem now might be the time to commit to the upgrade as well.

3 Likes

The time to ‘prepare’ to sign him to a new contract was, like, 9 months ago. B1G programs stay losing lol

1 Like

They also have the problem of an arena that’s much too big for their location. It’s tough to get 15,000 people to drive in the middle of the Pennsylvania mountains on a weeknight.

6 Likes

Someday maybe he’ll drop that reputation of poor NCAA tournament coach. Not today, but maybe someday.

1 Elite 18 in 18 season is it?

2 Likes

Quick flip.

Barnes to DePaul?

2 Likes