Big Ten Basketball 2022-23 Discussion

Edey will get drafted. Or at least that seems to be the consensus. He is much better than hunter so he has more options. I mean Luka Garza went pro when he could have stayed

2 Likes

I think there is a difference between playing 4 and 5 years, generally, but no idea if Edey has his degree.

My first blush is youā€™re too high on Michigan. MSU will probably be preseason #1 but Iā€™m a seller on Booker and Izzo having to rely on freshman. But if Walker is around I can buy it

For most all of the teams itā€™s gonna be so portal dependent itā€™s hard to say really. Michigan could be that high but they could also be lower or higher easily.

Northwestern is the one that should be higher. Theyā€™re gonna get everyone back possibly

1 Like

My first blush is I have no idea who is going to be on any of these rosters :rofl: People keep talking about players that I just assumed would move on.

4 Likes

Yeah you are right. But liek I said Edey is very draftable. Vecenie has him 47 so heā€™s on TJDā€™s realm and everyone expects him to leave

1 Like

Wasnā€™t basically their whole roster honored on senior night? Are we assuming that Buie, Audige and Beran come back or have they said they are.

My vibe is basically that this is the ā€œMission Accomplishedā€ season for Northwestern and Buie and Audige at least move onā€¦ At least Buie will and heā€™s really the important one. But Maryland will lose to Alabama and their guys will be all ā€œOne More Year.ā€ Itā€™s definitely complete guesswork borne out of being bored before the games start today.

Whatā€™s the speculation with Omoruyi?

Seems to be 50/50. I might lean more 60/40 that he stays because before the season I think the idea was heā€™d improved his offensive game enough to be a potential 2nd round pick and that just didnā€™t happen. He might just be done and want to try to develop in the G-League and not under Pikiell (probably the right move from a basketball standpoint) but he also seems genuine about education and getting a degree being important to him and his family.

Mulcahy is suddenly interesting too. We all were thinking heā€™d be back for a fifth year but the way he talked Pikiell after the Hofstra loss got people talking. My take is he hurt his shoulder early in the season and had a miserable year and at least in that moment wasnā€™t sure if he wants to come back and do it again. Thereā€™s a chance heā€™s done with basketball but I kinda think after a couple weeks heā€™ll decide to come back.

The one guy I really donā€™t want back is Aundre Hyatt. His on/off numbers are appalling especially compared to Mawot Mag (plus our big recruit is at least in theory a scoring wing). Even pre-Mag injury they were way worse for Hyatt, so itā€™s not just a matter of his numbers being hurt because the whole team nosedived. It would also be a 6th year in college for him since he redshirted at LSU and then played two seasons there and two year. Mostly Iā€™m in favor of keeping old guys around butā€¦ not him.

1 Like

Izzo has a good class. Bank on the preseason contender vibe for sure.

The speculation I heard most recently was more Paul back, Cliff out. But again, that was before the Hoftstra game.

That would make sense. The two transfers weā€™ve contacted so far have been big men (Hugley and Reynolds).

I would be higher on Purdue, even if they lose Edey. I think Trey Kaufman-Renn looks pretty good in his minutes and they should return everyone else outside of David Jenkins.

Plus they have another 7ā€™3 guy redshirting this year who will probably turn into a stud at some point

Purdue without Edey is a complete mystery. Heā€™s so vital to what they are.

Obviously they have some talent, but Braden Smith without Edey could be like Chucky without Johnny.

3 Likes

Thatā€™s a good point, Iā€™d be interested to see the splits for Purdue with Edey on and off the court. Iā€™ve watched a lot of Purdue games this year as I did undergrad there, so Iā€™m definitely biased, but I think theyā€™ve tended to hold their own with TKR at the 5. Edey is definitely a college basketball cheat code though :joy:

This is a really good take and I could see Collins bolting also given the circumstance.

Theyā€™ll be preseason top ten if not top five I would imagine. And they wonā€™t be close to that good, imo.

Theyā€™re transferring to Duke and UNC.

2 Likes

I just think Purdue has a high floor. Theyā€™ll probably bring the whole roster back other than possibly Edey and David Jenkins, who is pretty incidental. They have a well regarded guy to fill in for Edey (obviously wonā€™t be close to as good), the best coach in the league, a guy with a track record of getting freshman to play pretty solidly. Iā€™d have a hard time putting them less than like 4th until we see the transfer story.

Also while he definitely wonā€™t be Edey, they have another mutant 7ā€™3ā€ dude in waiting and Painterā€™s track record with all those dudes means heā€™s likely at least a young Matt Haarms.

1 Like