Big Ten Basketball 2022-23 Discussion

It is definitely Purdue vs the field. They are the best team in the league and are already out to a lead in the standings.

4 Likes

Here is the ruleā€¦

In order for an official to change or reverse a call made on the floor, the official must first find that the monitor review reveals by indisputable evidence that the call on the floor was incorrect.

This implies that they felt they had indisputable evidence that the ball was simultaneously last tipped by both teams. I donā€™t buy it because we could all see on our giant screens at home that this wasnā€™t clearly the case. They should have stuck with the call on the floor.

3 Likes

From Torvik:

4 Likes

Iowa must have a tough remaining schedule? Just looking at his rankings and current record youā€™d think theyā€™d be higher.

Still have 7 away games and donā€™t play Purdue at home or Minnesota at home. Theyā€™ve also already dropped a home game (Wisco without Murray), and games at NEB/PSU which are more winnable you would think.

1 Like

Mayer last 10 games: 15.4 PPG - 59.1% on twos, 43.5% on threesā€¦ 126.1 ORtg on 22.4% usage (up from 101.2 ORtg on 18.2% usage in first 8).

Starting to look like the guy he was supposed to be.

1 Like

Letā€™s assume Michigan figures it out and finishes in the top 6 of the conference. Can someone help me square the following circle?

1. Michigan had an awful noncon.
  2. B1G had a great noncon.
  3. Michigan is not projected to make the tournament.
  4. B1G is sending eight or nine teams to the tournament.

Are we going to be hounded by the nonconference all season if we perform as a tournament team in conference? Seems to me that we should still control our own destiny (and not in the same manner as needing to win out or win the B1G tournament). How does this work?

I get the sense that the biggest thing is the quad system, and Michiganā€™s 0-6 in Q1 games I believe.

Theoretically that should improve but weā€™re also almost 1/3 through the conference season without a Quad 1 win. Work to be done there in a big way no matter where they finish.

3 Likes

Funny how once a coach stops winning championships, it becomes fair game to point out irritating things that heā€™s done all along.

1 Like

I agree, folks focus on the quads like AJ Dillon. I just donā€™t really know what that means for us. If we finish top 6, weā€™re probably, what, 4-9, at worst in quad 1? Does that do the trick?

3 Likes

I donā€™t know this for fact, but Iā€™m assuming he cut his mullet off, right before this successful run.

2 Likes

Itā€™s really hard to overcome a Q4 loss. Last year the only teams to make it as an at-large with a Q4 loss were:

UNC: Lost at home to Pitt. Canceled it out by going 23-8 (15-5), winning four Q1 games, and not losing a Q2 or Q3 game.

San Francisco: Lost at home to Portland. They also got to 23-8 overall and won four Q1 games, and had no Q3 losses.

Boise State: Lost at home to Cal Bakersfield. Got the MWC autobid but wouldā€™ve made it anyway as they went 24-7 with a 4-2 Q1 record. They did also have a Q3 loss.

Rutgers: Lost at home to Lafayette. Needed to accumulate a whopping 7 Q1 wins to cancel out a horrific loss plus two other Q3 losses, and even then barely squeaked in to the First Four.

Michigan right now most closely resembles UNC, but the Heels had only three non-conference losses to Michiganā€™s five. But Michigan is so far unblemished in Q2 and Q3 just like UNC was so itā€™s just a matter of picking up some Q1 wins and not doing something dumb like losing at home to Minnesota.

Remaining Q1: @ Maryland, vs. Purdue, @ Penn State, @ Northwestern, vs. Ohio State, @ Wisconsin, @ Rutgers, @ Illinois, @ Indiana

Remaining Q2: vs. Indiana, vs. Michigan State, vs. Wisconsin,

Remaining Q3: vs. Nebraska

Remaining Q4: vs. Minnesota

Currently at 10-7. Getting to 18-13 would mean a 12-8 record in the league and a minimum of three Q1 wins. I think thatā€™s enough to at least get Michigan to Dayton.

11 Likes
2 Likes

Followup: There are more teams in the mix with Q4 losses right now. Boise State, TCU, Michigan, Iowa, Utah State (2), Arizona State, Kentucky, UCF, Clemson (2), Ohio State, and Texas A&M have all taken at least one but are still in the picture right now. So it may not be as damaging as it seemed to be last year.

5 Likes

I like that soundbite by Jett!

4 Likes

Iā€™m not going to bother checking either. This is clearly what happened.

4 Likes

This was exactly what I wanted. Thanks!

1 Like

@kcg Is Ace Bailey the highest-ranked recruit Rutgers has ever landed?

Meant to ask, kcg - I donā€™t know what kind of player he is but it seems pretty exciting over there right now overall?