Big Ten Basketball 2022-23 Discussion

Nah. I think it is a nice wrinkle and we will see more of it in bursts but I don’t see it as an all the time thing or anything.

4 Likes

One other question while you’re around, do you think Kobe is going to the draft this year? I know it’s early but a few draft guys I follow have tweeted about him once or twice and it’s a bit worrisome hha

1 Like

Followed this stuff long enough to never say anything about the NBA Draft with any certainty. I would say it feels like the most likely scenario is that Bufkin plays his way into the conversation this year (on the radar, so to speak) and then has a chance to really improve his stock the following year but who knows.

6 Likes

Helps that he is young too. So coming back as a junior he wouldn’t be “old” by the time he leaves like a typical junior.

1 Like

OTOH, that probably makes him more intriguing as a draft prospect.

1 Like

Haven’t been able to watch the Illinois game. Is it really the second half and Coleman Hawkins hasn’t attempted a shot?

why-michael-scott

2 foul auto bench.

1 Like

So current Big Ten stock check:

Stock Up: Purdue, Illinois, Rutgers and Iowa
Stock Down: OSU, Wisconsin (it was artificially high), IU, Maryland

Who the hell knows, lean up???: Michigan, Michigan State
Who the hell knows, lean down???: Penn State, Northwestern

3 Likes

I guess the takeaway is to avoid red as one of your colors

3 Likes

Unless you are Rutgers.

Part of the frustration of letting Izzo berate the refs without consequence is that it builds up that behavior in the fans. I will admit to being irrationally frustrated by refs and it was calming for me having Beilein mostly keep calm.

I thought the comment on the last pod interview about how you don’t see these antics in the NBA was telling. Why does Izzo, Fran, Underwood, etc. get away with that? Set the tone early.

6 Likes

why lean down on Penn State?

I love how they play but am worried it won’t be able to hold up against teams with any size. Also have already dropped two home games. Tomorrow night in Kohl Center is a big test for a team I want to be good and think can be good and a team that I don’t enjoy how they play.

1 Like
19 Likes

I am with Dylan. I think NW is a mirage and not sustainable. I am less sure about PSU but I am a little suspicious of their crazy good shooting and small lineup. Feels like B10 scouting may make life difficult for them down the stretch.

Just so much of a mess besides Purdue and MN. Not only are all of those teams eating each other alive and mediocre in general…but look at the injury problems this year. UM, MSU, Iowa, OSU, and IU have all had starters miss meaningful time. It may come down to how much time is missed and how those teams respond to missing those guys. Or, perhaps Purdue gets a key injury cna everything changes at the top too.

I couldn’t agree more!

2 Likes

I feel like this is pretty spot on. I think PSU and NW are question marks but both are veteran teams with unique systems they can lean on (PSU small and offense, NW with defense/TOs). That will make them tough outs on a nightly basis but I do get the feeling their success isn’t sustainable to the level we have seen.

4 Likes

Rutgers, Iowa and Illinois feel like the most likely “second tier” to me right now. Not sure they are actually in the race with Purdue (and have all dropped games for certain reasons – Murray injury, bad call at OSU, locker room dysfunction – but I feel like they are three of the teams you would worry if they pop up on your schedule tomorrow a little bit more than the rest.

I joked about IU vs. the field last week but it kinda feels like Purdue vs. the field at this point, doesn’t it?

2 Likes