Big Ten Basketball 2022-23 Discussion

Yeah they should get a warning and then if a warning is given it should be an automatic technical. If no warning was given it was a bad call. But throwing it 10 feet in the air certainly isn’t gonna get him BOTD either

1 Like

Had IU been issued a warning for interfering with the ball after a basket earlier in the game? If so, that was a textbook technical foul. If not, it should have been a warning.

8 Likes

I was watching live and I’m not even clear what the Fran argument towards the end was about. Was he mad that an assistant had the gall to talk to a ref?

We interviewed Connor McCaffery after (I linked it above) and he was really transparently pissed haha. Said (paraphrasing) all game the players could hear IU’s assistant coaches complaining about Fran and cussing him out to the refs. It bubbled over late when one specific IU coach apparently gestured toward the Iowa bench and Fran had enough.

1 Like

Right and couldn’t a delay of game be for the opposite of that such as rolling the ball to the opposing player?? There are numerous ways to delay a game as a soon to be defending team.

What I am more interested in is why was the Indiana assistant coach all the way out to halfcourt talking to the official. Where was Woodson?? I can see why McCaffrey would be annoyed if an assistant is taking up the conversation because aren’t head coaches pretty much the only ones that should be having these conversations?? Unless the head coach got ejected then of course but that didn’t happen to Woodson.

3 Likes

For sure. Here is the official wording of the rule…

After a team warning has been issued, attempting to gain an advantage by interfering with the ball after a goal or failing to immediately pass the ball to the nearest official after the whistle had been blown

1 Like

Feels like this is an Iowa narrative 2 out of every 3 seasons.

6 Likes

The benches chirping to one another shouldn’t go on but Fran has to realize that when he goes full FranCon a half dozen times a year, he brings a lot of this upon himself.

Wouldn’t surprise me if that played into the Indiana technical situation too. Fran blowing up earlier in the game set everybody on edge and I’m sure he was complaining about every little thing. Rather than kicking him out like they should have, refs gave into him and lost control. Though to be fair Indiana has to do a better job of disguising that if that is what they are trying to do.

2 Likes

There was no warning and he had to throw it over the Iowa defender that was standing between him and the ref.

1 Like

I just get the feeling that Fran doesn’t play well with others and that feeds into his team for sure. Connor in particular seems like a chip off the old block.

1. No warning.
  2. He threw it over the Iowa players head. It wasn’t a random lob.
1 Like

Zero reason for him to throw it to the ref when the Iowa player was right there reaching for the ball. Like I said if he disguised it a bit better he can get away with it, but that was pretty bad. Certainly not the most egregious technical I’ve ever seen.

Big Ten Football season also had Bret Bielima openly complaining about calls and trying to dance on Michigan’s grave after the Illinois game

2 Likes

How do we know there was no warning?

1 Like

We don’t but it makes my case better

5 Likes

Just seems like a by the book violation and you go back and watch it and they do it 4-5 times before the tech, and they are in front of Iowa’s bench who would almost certainly be pointing it out. I imagine there was a warning somewhere in there and then someone new gets in the game and gets caught.

1 Like

Take it with a grain of salt because he’s an Indiana fan, by this is my friend who refs D2 and has reffed some D1. I had not seen a warning and I was watching trapped to the couch by a sleeping baby. This is what he said:

1 Like

I fear my dream of Kris Murray falling to the Pistons in the second round is over…

1 Like

Why was he going to fall?

Most of the mock drafts at the beginning of the season had him in that end of first round range. I think Wasserman’s mock still has him around there.