Big Ten Basketball 2022-23 Discussion

I think it would be wise to worry about what would happen to Michigan with Dug McDaniel in a game where U-M faces a “surprise” zone.

To be fair, that’s what happened against Central Michigan.

3 Likes

We just saw it last game. PSU zoned for a few possessions and we got nothing. Every team Michigan plays should have some zone ready

1 Like

I would consider trying Greggorius Glenn as a zone-busting McGary 5

1 Like

I remember they got Joey a pretty good look against the zone at one point. I think Dug also hit that waved off three too.

Pretty confident that MSU won’t go zone.

1 Like

I don’t quite understand why we struggle against zone since I don’t think that’s been a thing under Juwan. I get that you might not be prepared and it impacts both post ups and ball screens…but we can put multiple shooters on the perimeter, we have Hunter as a good passer, and we also have TWill as a decent passer.

Maybe that’s where we need to go with Baker subbing for Dug.

1 Like

True freshman point guard. It’s hard to adjust to brand new defenses on the fly when you are seeing them for the first time if they aren’t things that you repped in practice leading up to the game.

It’s not just zone it could be any sort of surprising mid-game switch. Maybe switch everything, maybe some sort of exotic trap. These sorts of Iowa-type wild changes are going to give U-M some issues because of the PG situation.

not sure how hot this take is but it seems like B1G hoops is way more fiery than B1G football this year. The football season just had the MSU tunnel assault but otherwise it was pretty low key. In hoops you’ve already got this Fran-Woodson fight, Willard’s schedule meltdown, Hunter’s nonstop mouth, Underpants losing his mind, Izzo stoking the fire (using the tunnel), Rutgers swearing a blood oath for the missed call @ Ohio State, Michigan bleeding constantly…who am I missing? basically only Painter and Holtmann have not had some sort of altercation so far

2 Likes

Agree, that was a BS call. The IU player possessed the ball for a fraction of a second and threw it directly to the ref. That happens routinely in most games. That “extra” point that Iowa was awarded had a direct bearing on how the final minutes played out.

1 Like

Iowa likes to run after made baskets. He knew what he was doing. I thought it was savvy enough to get away with it though.

3 Likes

LOLing that this is extremely accurate and they’re also the only two decent teams in the league

3 Likes

I feel like a lot of these are very “online” things that are only amplified because they are so online. Izzo on his radio show or Hunter on his podcast or Willard on his radio show are just coaches talking to fill voids where people want to hear people talk.

College hoops coaches generally talk to the media a lot more than college football coaches during the season just because of how the sport works.

Iowa is always good for a beef, though. I miss the Adam Woodbury days.

2 Likes

We did have Beilema trying to do his best on the football side though

2 Likes

He literally just threw the ball to the ref. It’s one of the most ridiculous calls I’ve ever seen.

https://twitter.com/jt_browne/status/1611223827840647168?s=46&t=s9zgt0lcSpenT4rixabsJg

6 Likes

Wait…isn’t this the year Izzo said they were going to play zone???

3 Likes

What about the PSU peanut butter sandwiches?

1 Like

that turned out to be good silly fun. the teams were fine postgame

3 Likes

That was the first strike for #tunnelgate

2 Likes

actually the first was the woofing at halftime of OSU 2021

4 Likes

That is basically a by the book technical if there’s been a warning, right? He throws a little pop fly to slow down the fastbreak.

7 Likes

like I said I wouldn’t blow my whistle if I were there, but I get it

2 Likes