Big Ten Basketball 2022-23 Discussion

They started the stretch 17th in KP and ended it 40th so yeah not great

1 Like

man I wish we got Minnesota twice. dangit

Michigan does play Minnesota twice. We gotta get @BigBoutros a schedule so he can start some 3-17 schedule predictions.

15 Likes

oh crapp. now that I’ve said it we will lose to them at home

I feel really good about Rutgers but 13-7 is about as high as I would go with them. You know there will be a few games where they just can’t score.

UNDER: Illinois (I think they are toast), Maryland, Nebraska, NW

OVER: Michigan (yup…I said it), MSU, Penn St…maybe Minnesota (they have to win more than 3 games, right???)

2 Likes

I think the 11-9 for Michigan seems light. Perhaps I am just an optimistic homer that forgot that the CMU game was ever played.

@Slyboogie has wore off on me.

I am booking Final 4 tickets, flights, and hotels.

Not really, but I would bet that 11 ends up being light…I think.

2 Likes

The thing with Michigan at 11 wins is that they already have 3 in the tank. I get having to go on the road and all that but they gotta have at least 8 more wins on their schedule.

I see a few pretty winnable road games too.

:man_shrugging:

4 Likes

They have the kind of defense that will keep them in every game, and the kind of offense that will keep them from winning. Yeah, 13 wins may well be their ceiling.

Their game in Madison will be incredibly ugly.

The defense they play leads to a lot of open three pointers. When it works it looks great but pretty soon someone’s gonna get hot and shoot 40% or better in a game. The 25% opponent three point percentage is an obvious regression candidate. There are things they do to to keep this number low – switching up defenses from one possession to another or even within possessions, and they generally wreak havoc to disrupt offensive flow – but I see a very good defense, not an elite defense. On the flipside I think the offense pretty much is what it is.

I do hope I’m wrong. They’ve been extremely good since Mulcahy and McConnell got healthy. The offense is more democratic which leads to more complete defensive efforts. Last year the defense was good but Harper and Baker needed to take some defensive possessions off because of the load they carried on offense. I do think they’re more likely to stick as a top 10 defense than Northwestern, for instance. But their sky-high KenPom rating is heavily influenced by blowing out cupcakes. I think there’s some slippage going against Big Ten athletes twice a week.

I think I’d rather be in Michigan’s shoes right now than Illinois’, which is wild.

There’s probably some Michigan bias in there since I still think Illinois’ ceiling is higher, but they also feel like they’re another couple losses away from spiraling into a no floor scenario. And especially if we can beat MSU and play a good defensive game, it’ll start to feel like we’ve fixed some of our glaring issues and are rounding into form.

Also Underwood’s conference record without Kofi is vomit inducing, which is biased since his first few teams were bad, but doesn’t help inspire confidence.

The Wisconsin game for Illinois is huge. You have them at home. No real excuse for losing that one. Then you have @ Nebraska, MSU at home, and @ Minnesota. Suddenly you’re 4-3 in conference and feeling good with home games vs. IU and OSU to really keep things going.

But if you lose that game to Wisconsin… you’re 0-4 in conference and a team that is seemingly having some sort of locker room issues could spiral and the next 3 games become must wins or your season is off the rails

As much as it pains me, I’ll be rooting for Wisconsin on saturday

6 Likes

I still hate Illinois more than Wisconsin, so I’m fine with rooting for them. The interesting one for me is the Illinois-MSU game, especially if we beat MSU and Illinois loses to Wisco. Then you’re looking at both teams really wanting a win, and Illinois this close to imploding.

I’m stumped with Illinois too. Way too much talent to be losing these games. At least in Michigan’s case you can argue that we lost our PG, we’re relying on freshmen, TWill < Hawkins, our bench is unproven, etc.

I’m also further surprised at the level of Underwood screaming at people in the middle of games. He’s even past Izzo levels this year. Pretty wild. I’m sure that will help him get high level transfers in the future.

2 Likes

yeah the talent level on Illinois is silly. they have 9 starter quality guys. 0-3 against that schedule is very weird.

1 Like

It’s not as surprising when you remember that they all hate eachother and the coaches. I forget that sometimes too but I won’t again after last night

6 Likes

100-year event

1 Like

I liked the Kaminsky era Wisconsin teams. Was pulling for them vs. Duke/UK

3 Likes

Same. Apart from a love of cheap shots and charges, I had a ton of respect for how they just go out there and play mistake-free every-possession basketball. That was before Brad Davison, of course, and before last year’s masterclass in baiting.

But, even back then, I knew that VT and NY cheddar is far less rubbery and more flavorful.

I loved their frontcourt (Dekker, Hayes, Frank) but just couldn’t cheer for their guards. I can’t remember, did Jackson get injured that season?

1 Like