Big Ten Basketball 2022-23 Discussion

It took three seasons, but it seems that Jamal Mashburn, Jr. has finally become a good player. Same with former disaster factory Sun Devil Jaelen House.

1 Like

I think the challenge is figuring out WHY they’ve had those late-season stagnations. My theory had been that they start strong but have a defined ceiling that the rest of the league figures out eventually. I don’t know enough about them this year, but somewhere along the line they may run into a scout where they can’t overcome it. Last couple of years they were relying on EJ to be a dominant small big and do a lot of work for them but didn’t have the parts around him. Then they almost overcame it last year with their hot-shot freshman exploding on the scene, but he had some of those same freshmen inconsistencies that make them unreliable.

Last year it was mostly injuries to Young and Key, I think.

2 Likes

Patrick’s had a rough run of it

yes I would like one Tyson Walker please

1 Like

This one is for @buckets12 https://twitter.com/umichbball/status/1610367048474935296?s=46&t=SXtuUC_tySNzwr1YCz5x2g

1 Like

Minnesota up 13-9 early and Tyler Wahl just went to the locker room after rolling his ankle for Wisconsin.

EDIT: Oops now it’s 15-13 Wisconsin.

Wisconsin’s players are all indistinguishable

Dawson Garcia just used 3 straight possessions without passing and did was 0/2 with a turnover

2 Likes

Wisconsin is struggling with Minnesota at home. Minnesota on a 11-0 run. That seems less than ideal.

2 Likes

You can always count on Wisconsin to bank in a big 3 though

3 Likes

The joy of Wisconsin basketball. Another ugly close win over a bad team where they shoot around 40% and somehow need to eek out a late win even though Minnesota shot poorly and turned it over 20 times.

This is why we can argue on the forum about which tier they are in. Are they a good team because they find ways to win and end up with a lot of wins? Or are they a bad/mediocre team because they aren’t very good at basketball and make every game ugly?

2 Likes

If Big Ten teams were stocks… I’d buy low on Illinois right now. Great stretch of schedule coming up. Guessing the conversation will be WHY DID WE COUNT OUT ILLINOIS in a couple weeks.

That being said, I’m still not sure we will know what to make of them.

2 Likes

Totally agree with this. My son is in their basketball band so I have a vested interest. I am also not sure Underwood knows what to make of them…which is part of the challenge.

2 Likes

I am also interested in buying low there except I would love visual proof that everyone on that team doesn’t hate eachother first.

Rumors Skyy Clark may transfer bubbling too :eyes:

3 Likes

Wasn’t Illinois his second choice too? Kentucky kinda nudged him out because of the injury, didn’t they?

When aren’t there rumors about Skyy Clark? Exhausting.

It also feels like Illinois basketball circles just live for rumors though too. There’s always something brewing.

7 Likes

Noted Illinois Fan Anthony Wright will surely get to the bottom of it.

4 Likes

Freshmen guards make everything more adventurous. Highly ranked freshmen guards add an extra layer of drama.

We are seeing what we predicted in the offseason. They have the best collection of “parts” in the league but they haven’t figured out how to fit them together and Underwood is also having to rethink his “system” without Kofi. If they figure things out in this stretch of games I think they could hang a (legit) banner. If they continue to scuffle, it might implode.