Big Ten Basketball 2022-23 Discussion

More simply, Illinois has been awesome when Terrance Shannon Jr. makes threes and not so great when he doesn’t.

2 Likes

You gotta make shots

1 Like

Skyy being worse than their other freshman guard + Mayer just being a weirdo + Coleman and Shannon battling for who can be a more publicly criticized leader is just such a hilarious combination of locker room drama.

I think Underwood really thought they were all super mentally tough and could handle constant criticism and then he realized he was making everything worse and had to flip script.

Basketball-wise I’ve been thinking they need to give Dain Dainja a real shot and scrap the desire for “positionless basketball” full time. He started last game so it appears that might be coming.

IMO, it’s kind of crazy how much having a goofy haircut can do to get you hyped as a player, despite a lack of elite track record.

3 Likes

Also being an elite role player as a sophomore on a team that wins a title… :man_shrugging:

4 Likes

He was JAS playing 15 minutes a game on a team with 4 pro guards!

He was 6-9, shot 40% from three, 55% from two and played for the best team in the country. If Chaundee was a few inches taller that year and had multiple years of eligibility, I feel like everyone would have been hyping him up the following year too.

Mayer has been pretty good the last couple of weeks though. I feel like he’s a useful player with his size and scoring.

3 Likes

Mayer is a good player, it’s just he’s been touted as a potential star for the last 2 seasons and has just remained a good not great player

1 Like

the stuff I have heard about Illinois is locker room issues due to big chasms in NIL deals

2 Likes

Gregg Glenn would like a word…

2 Likes

Greggorius Glenn has ball skills. He is a big guard

5 Likes

It’s too bad we weren’t blowing out (or losing to) MAC schools because that is one thing I wouldn’t have minded seeing in the 2nd half of a December blowout.

1 Like

Gregg’s hair isn’t that wacky

1 Like

Kid made some CLUTCH shots for Baylor that whole season.

2 Likes

I wonder if that’s one potential partial explanation of our team. We have one have; not sure if all the rest are have-nots to the extent where it’s an impact.

Don’t get this argument, massive pay differences exist in nba locker rooms.

2 Likes

I think the undercover nature of it in college would probably make it worse. In the NBA everything is out in the open, is done before the season and everyone understands where they are in the tiers. In the NCAA, everything is secretly negotiated with individual athletes, so the market is probably not operating effeciently where everyone is getting quite what they’re worth. And the difference between players isn’t as great, so people are more likely to think they deserve more than their teammates. AND, they probably have strong opportunities to lobby and fight for new money DURING the season.

1 Like

Chicago’s Big Ten team is feeling the buzz.

Or Illinois fans bought all the tickets.

3 Likes

I’d bet a dollar there are a ton of Illinois fans at the game.

Also…a white out? Really? For Northwestern? How about something more original that actually fits your colors scheme. Ooh…a white tee-shirt! Mostly I’m joking - if NW actually sells out their arena to their own fans that’s something to note since they’ve been trash forever and usually the opposing fans from Chicago match their own.

Yeah, agreed. It doesn’t necessarily make sense. I’ve seen so many insidery tweets about no team in particular about it this year, and I’ve always first thought of Miami, with Pack and Wong. Didn’t really associate it with our team at first. But, also, not gonna rule it out.