Big Ten Basketball 2021-22 Discussion

I’ll be shocked if Stephens replaces Izzo. There’s a reason or more why he was still an assistant.

I’d be shocked if he doesn’t

3 Likes

I don’t care either way, if he does or he doesn’t! :wink::blue_heart:

3 Likes

is it a big deal? Like, I don’t really care and I don’t think there’s any special reason for Illinois owning us aside from Kofi Cockburn.

2 Likes

Illinois is going to be fascinating to follow this year.

Illinois has lost six of its top-seven scorers and 84.5% of its scoring from last season and must replace 148 of 165 starts and 80.7% of its minutes from last season.

Not impossible for the brand new crop of transfers thing to work, but not easy either.

6 Likes

I agree - and Underwood’s willingness to reinvent his style adds a layer of intrigue as well. Does he go all run-and-gun? Does he go back to full-court press? Does he base everything around defense and try to win low-scoring games? Who is their “alpha” on offense?

2 Likes

Aren’t we looking at a similar situation ourselves?

The difference is that Illinois’ best returning player is Coleman Hawkins and Michigan’s best returning player is Hunter Dickinson.

I’d also say that guys like Grandison and Curbelo transferring out is different as far as losing established players to the portal compared to the NBA process.

16 Likes

Dylan: Trey is the younger McGowens right?

Older. Bryce is the younger. Both are staying in the draft.

2 Likes

Oof. Nebraska just can’t catch many breaks

1 Like

I actually think they’re going to surprise this year. Hoiberg’s transfer sauce is finally smelling familiar, they just don’t have a true PG. maybe Griesel?

Tominaga is one of the more perplexing scholarships in the B1G imo…6’1" with a 7% AST but can’t shoot or drive. he is really really bad. he and Breidenbach both stink

Put some respect on Keisei Tominaga’s name. That man got us a tournament birth

He’s JAS and still young so could be decent. Breidenbach was 104 in his class.

9 Likes

I’d probably still project Tominaga to end up a good shooter. He takes tough shots and made a decent number of threes off the bench. Not sure what else he gives you but I imagine he will have some big shooting seasons before his college career is done. If it isn’t this year though, probably as a transfer somewhere else.

3 Likes

Nebraska’s best players (Wilcher, Walker, Griesel) are all guys you’d want as your third-best player, at best. Griesel was just a Guy for three years at NDSU, how real was that senior breakout? Walker is super underrated but got his while teams worried about Verge and the McGowenseseses last year. He also isn’t really a rim protector and they don’t have that anywhere else. Bandoumel from SMU has merely been fine and that was with one of the best PGs in the country.

I guess an 8-12 season, which I see as their absolute best case, would count as a surprise but is that really good enough to build anything on? Especially since they’ll lose Griesel and Walker. They weren’t able to get Wilcher’s c/o '23 five star brother. They’d just be playing the transfer market yet again and that hasn’t gone anywhere for them.

1 Like

Now that transfers are an everyday occurrence, Frederick Alfred Freddy “Fred” Hoiberg doesn’t look so hot.

1 Like

:grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing:

2 Likes

Stop it. Stop it right now

1 Like