Big Ten Basketball 2019-20 Discussion

I’ve always thought this Greg Gard thing wasn’t going to go so well from day 1. Ethan Happ papered over a lot of that, but the bottom is going to fall out eventually here. Realize this is just one persons story but this just isn’t a good look, nor is the trashing of King via Katz.

1 Like

Edit: Deleting my snarky comment. Mental health issues are nothing to joke about - hope the best for Carton

4 Likes
13 Likes

Good for him. It takes a strong, mature kid to make that decision

17 Likes

Takes a lot to step away like that and be open about it. Good for him, hope he gets healthy

17 Likes

Shooting percentages in this Illini-Gopher game…woof!

Watching this Illinois-Minnesota game has reminded me that my brain hasn’t accepted that Illinois home loss as reality. Jeez, what a choke a job. Penn State was easier to shrug off because there’s only so much you can do about shooting luck. But that Illinois game probably hurts worse than any other loss

1 Like

Great reminder that these players are young human beings and are going through more pressure than most young human beings have to go through. Takes guts to be transparent about mental health issues; really respect it.

8 Likes

I wonder which coach would be more gracious if the situation was reversed? Calipari losing a key player mid-season and Gard losing someone off the end of his bench.

And Wisconsin punched above its historic weight class with Bo Ryan. They were consistently good every year under him. It was very likely that Gard wasn’t going to live up to Ryan’s standard.

2 Likes

The point of my statement was not to defend Gard. I was merely suggesting that Andy Katz, as a college basketball commentator, was sharing his opinion rather than simply parroting a talking point fed to him by a Wisconsin official.

I’m sure I couldn’t say. :man_shrugging:t4:

Yeah, me neither. Calipari is very good with the media, but that was a big blow to Gard. Those guys are competitors above all. And King left because he didn’t like playing for Gard.

1 Like

I really hope Carton is able to get healthy. It takes a lot for a guy that age to come out with a statement like that and meet his issues head on. Hoping the best for him.

5 Likes

Anthony Cowan :eyes: :eyes:

MSU getting run off the floor at Wisconsin. I would give anything for them to play this bad against Michigan just once

7 Likes

Sparty will pull it out.

Sparty could use Brandon Johns

Pritzl hits a massive rainbow three to put Wisconsin up 16 at the break. Had been 19 but Sparty hit back-to-back threes, cutting it to 13 before that big three.

Wisconsin in the process of blowing a huge lead.

2 Likes