Big Ten Basketball 2019-20 Discussion

Was going to say that same thing. Truly shows the talent level at NW

How does or did that happen roster wise?

Spencer played HS basketball and graduated from Loyola (MD) as a highly-decorated lacrosse player that wanted to play a year of basketball. Northwestern had the opener and wanted a veteran leader that has winning experience, albeit, in a different sport.

Nebraska just forced OT at home against Southern Utah with a buzzer beating deep three from Jervay Green in a bizarre game.

This game has been insanely poor. Nebraska makes so many basketball mistakes that you just don’t expect to see from a D1 team.

1 Like

Fully agree. This has been a rough game to watch. Tons of bad plays all around. Cam Mack’s free throw shooting got totally bailed out by that three. Now another overtime.

Nebraska gives up a pull-up two with 3.5 seconds, Cam Mack runs the length of the court practically unguarded, and has a floating lay-up rim in-and-out. Southern Utah win in double OT 79-78.

I don’t know anything about any of Nebraska’s players. When is a realistic time for them to even threaten the tournament again? I know Hoiberg was big on transfers at iSU, do they have any guys sitting out a year?

Shamiel Stevenson (Pittsburgh/Nevada), Derrick Walker (Tennessee), and Dalano Banton (Western Kentucky) are all sit-out transfers. Stevenson had the best collegiate career to this point but I think Walker and Banton were going to be projects regardless so the sit-out year probably isn’t bad for them.

Anyone else tuning in to watch Preseason National Champion Contender Maryland fall behind by double digits early at home to Rhose Island?

B1G not starting out like it did last year. Wisconsin lost. MSU lost. Purdue lost. Minnesota losing to oklahoma with 3 mins left. Maryland losing to Rhode Island early. Need some wins, hopefully that’s starts with us Against Creighton

1 Like

Won by 18 against a pretty solid program.

1 Like

Usually I like to see the B1G thrive. But if all this means that UM has a chance to do better than projected in-conference I might take it. Will be very interesting to see what happens tomorrow.

League is not looking strong. A lot of losses in swing spots that the league won last year.

Still time (Gavitt, exempt tourneys, ACC Challenge) but need to make some ground up or could be a situation where the non-conference costs the league a couple of bids.

The larger takeaway is that Michigan’s in league wins might not look as good and its losses might look worse. Non-conference losses set a higher bar for teams to perform in conference.

2 Likes

Despite winning by 18, I wasn’t impressed by Maryland’s offense last night. Their half court offense was a borderline disaster 1H.

Said this before the season, but the Big Ten is devoid of talent and I don’t think the league will stack up very well nationally.

1 Like

Yeah seems like last year these were exactly the games the B1G was winning. Gavitt will be huge.

Cassius Winston’s brother was tragically killed last night. Horrible horrible news

1 Like

Clearly. But we haven’t lost yet!

Ugh. That is really tough.