Austin Hatch - Will Play in Italy Tour

Hatch will play in Italy per JB. Rooting hard for Hatch to make it, hard not to appreciate that young man’s story and perserverence.

Wilson has been totally limited per JB…I think the writing is on the wall for him to RS.

Austin met with the media today. Update on the front page.

I’ll gladly roll with 12 schollies for the next few years if all it means is Hatch getting in for 1 minute his 5th year. He deserves it.

Hatch will play in Italy per JB. Rooting hard for Hatch to make it, hard not to appreciate that young man's story and perserverence.

Wilson has been totally limited per JB…I think the writing is on the wall for him to RS.

Caris LeVert to return to floor during Michigan's Italian tour; D.J. Wilson and Max Bielfeldt both out - mlive.com

No way Wilson redshirts; he is limited solely because he is out with a pinky injury. His skill set is one that is very useful, especially with a thin frontcourt. His athleticism is also far too good to keep on the bench for an entire year. Besides, we almost assuredly will not get five full years out of Wilson (a friend says we get 2-3 years before he goes to the NBA, I say 3-4 ) so there is no point in redshirting him.

Hatch will play in Italy per JB. Rooting hard for Hatch to make it, hard not to appreciate that young man's story and perserverence.

Caris LeVert to return to floor during Michigan's Italian tour; D.J. Wilson and Max Bielfeldt both out - mlive.com

No way Wilson redshirts; he is limited solely because he is out with a pinky injury. His skill set is one that is very useful, especially with a thin frontcourt. His athleticism is also far too good to keep on the bench for an entire year. Besides, we almost assuredly will not get five full years out of Wilson (a friend says we get 2-3 years before he goes to the NBA, I say 3-4 ) so there is no point in redshirting him.

Realistically, Wilson is below average in every athletic aspect other than verticality. The same with his skillset - his footwork is non-existent, his ball handling while decent if he is playing the 5, is below average for a perimeter player, his shooting is below average as well, and he’s a poor rebounder. I really see no utility for him this season at all. If we were an uptempo team I would definitely play him because he does run the floor very well.

I personally do not think that DJ is ready to contribute this year. Have many of the same concerns that MattD has. Think he needs to keep increasing his strength and improving jump shots. Down the line I can see him as useful, but I think Red shirting and really focusing on improving everything much like Robinson is coming to AA to do for the next year is the best thing for him in the long run.

Plus I was very impressed with Kam’s physique improvements and seeing that he is legitimately 6’7" if not 6’8" with really long arms and good mobility, even if he isn’t the most vertically impressive athlete.

Having Hatch play will be great. I have kind of written him off in terms of playing a role ever for the Wolverines. Maybe, he can work himself into the rotation as an upperclassmen. But, the way JB has handled this situation and giving him an opportunity in Italy is very classy. Wonder what Calipari, Crean and some of the other coaches would do in this scenario. I could imagine it not being done with near as much class as JB has displayed. Great story, and great perseverance from Austin.