Austin Davis Commits to Michigan

Matt Stainbrook was a very good out of shape, below the rim player for Xavier this year. He played great against Arizona’s very tall and athletic front line in the tourney. Derrick Nix is another big guy who played below the rim but was very effective.

IF we do not have any roster attrition, and IF Wagner both qualifies and is not a four for us, then this is a bit of a head scratcher. But I think Donnal is gone, Wagner is a four, and we just secured our two man center combination for 2016-2020.

It really comes down to what you think of this staff. I've been higher than some on JB and co for a while and they've repaid my faith quite well. I'll continue to be bullish unless there's a prolonged reason not too.

And people should probably relax a little bit.

To a certain extent I agree, but it’s REALLY hard to look at the trajectory of recruiting and honestly believe the team will be anything more than mediocre going forward. At some point faith is replaced by ‘what have you done for me lately’…I think it’s getting close to that point.

A few random thoughts…

1. Moritz Wagner’s status could be up in the air. His signing hasn’t been announced (signing period already started) and we’ve seen these situations fall through (Benzing).

2. Mark Donnal had a pretty disappointing season overall. He could certainly be on the transfer watch list, especially if he isn’t able to make a big leap next season. If he leaves, at least you would bring in two options to go along with Doyle.

3. I don’t really have any idea where DJ Wilson fits in. Is he a five? I’m not really sure. Is he a four? I’m not sure of that either.

4. Beilein has watched Davis a lot. Not just this weekend, but throughout the HS season. In hindsight, we probably should have read more into that interest at the time. The week after an evaluation period is really the chance to grab someone before he blows up… Beilein’s chips are down, will be interesting to see how Davis plays going forward – starting in Indianapolis next weekend.

It will be interesting to watch how this changes Michigan’s recruiting in the next few weeks. Who does Beilein focus on next weekend? What happens with Kenny Williams? Is there any attrition?

Michigan needs playmaking guards and it needs them in 2016 (or even 2015). That really has to be the primary focus from here on out in the next two classes.

I think “mediocre” is kinda silly, depending on your definition. I think we have the talent to finish top 4 in the Big Ten in any given year and win 2-3 tourney games. Now, that’s not as good as 2013, but also hardly mediocre.

I would love to see the board’s analysis of any given Wisconsin recruit when he commits. And then you see what those kids do with four years of great coaching.

I also wish I had been here to see the reaction to commits from Spike and Caris. And Morgan. And Novak. Sure, we have had misses too (Christian, McLimans), but overall this staff evaluates players pretty well.

Honestly I feel robbed…I search the web every day for the latest and greatest UM recruiting news, in hopes that I can share great news with you guys. When I get home from my daughters practice only to see this, it’s like…Really? I mean, man, this is such a letdown for me personally. We should be better than this

If my son was the next shaq or CWebb I would never let him go Blue and I love Michigan

Honestly I feel robbed........I search the web every day for the latest and greatest UM recruiting news, in hopes that I can share great news with you guys. When I get home from my daughters practice only to see this, it's like............Really? I mean, man, this is such a letdown for me personally. We should be better than this

Let’s just wait to see if there’s attrition before making a final judgement. It’s hard to see how this will end up, but I think we should wait a month or so and if there’s still no rumor of a transfer, we can put it all on JB for a poor scholarship offer.

Honestly I feel robbed........I search the web every day for the latest and greatest UM recruiting news, in hopes that I can share great news with you guys. When I get home from my daughters practice only to see this, it's like............Really? I mean, man, this is such a letdown for me personally. We should be better than this

Let’s just wait to see if there’s attrition before making a final judgement. It’s hard to see how this will end up, but I think we should wait a month or so and if there’s still no rumor of a transfer, we can put it all on JB for a poor scholarship offer.

Even with attrition it makes zero sense.

Looking more at the numbers… Seems like ideally Michigan lands a PG in 2016 and a wing in either 2015 (Williams/Brown) or 2016 (Langford/Battle).

That would balance the numbers a bit more.

We can’t say JB hasn’t pursued the Elites these last two years, he loves talent just like every other coach. But for WHATEVER reason we CAN NOT close with the consensus Top 25s of the world, and its getting increasingly difficult to not believe the variable is JB himself. It is what it is until proven otherwise.

I agree, matt, that even with attrition it makes little sense, but it would still make the whole situation a little bit better.

If Caris comes back I will truly cherish next year.

I do seem to remember a lot of comments on other sites regarding Spike, Caris commitments of similar “why use the scholarship” type. We even had some with Rahk and Dawkins commitments last year and I think a yr later they were both good pickups.

Last year it was injuries and the lack of depth that really hurt us. Down the stretch we were in most games but just didn’t have the depth to finish most of them off down the stretch.

I would love some of the blue chip recruits as much as anyone else but I also retain some faith in our staff. Head scratching right now for sure but we need to wait and see how the things play out in the next several weeks.

A year ago we dreamed that Chatman could come in and be a versatile player capable of playing the 2, 3, or 4 and excel at creating shots for others. We also dreamed that Wilson could develop his skills into an athletic, long, PF.

Too bad those dreams are pipe dreams now. Someone needs to inform the staff.

Wow…this can’t be real

Hence “pipe dream”.

MSU fans are laughing at us right now

Let’s all stop being so biased when we talk about Michigan. MattD is realistic.

We love Michigan but I think often times we don’t tell it like it is… I think we are doing more of that tonight in this forum. Being honest.

JB clearly cannot recruit elite level talent…JB recruits 3-4 star guys… the 75th player ranked is his prototypical guy. We have discussed that previously. Recruiting really hasn’t changed too much with our success which is in and of itself the most disappointing.

JB is a great developer and finds players that fits his team as well as any coach in the country. He does not recruit bad character guys or even guys with some question marks (Eron Harris) which we will feel next year…He will avg 16-18 a game for MSU, mark my words. Seen him play in person the last several years.

We will never recruit to the level of where we think we should at Michigan under JB. Coach will continue to develop his team and we will be in a few more NCAA Tourneys and may make another Elite Eight…and that’s it. To expect more is unrealistic with this crop of coaches and players. JB will be retired by 2020 and hopefully we can get strike lightning in a bottle with a new head coach.

JB has been a great transitional coach for us…the new chapter of UM basketball will begin after he retires, he did his part by leaving the program better than where he found it.

We just need to accept that…Michigan under JB will rise and fall with his player development and just straight luck. We cannot rely on consistently grabbing multiple top 40 players in every class.

I hear you. I feel robbed for checking these forums every day to read the “2015 recruiting” and “2016 recruiting” threads in hopes that you can give us good news with some embedded tweets.

The 2016 PG and Wing threads have over 90,000 combined views. Now, one of those threads seems pointless considering it will be one or the other.

1. I also think the staff is anticipating some additional early entries. Now, you might say, that’s nuts, who could possibly leave? I’ll give you two guys - Irvin and Dawkins. Irvin has obvious issues (needs to improve his handle, needs to make open shots), but he was playing some great basketball by the end of the year. If he had a stat line of say 15/5/3.5 and shot .450/.410 next year, it wouldn’t shock me to see him test the waters. Dawkins played very well at the end of the year. He’s close to elite athletically (average in the NBA), and can really shoot the three. It’s entirely possible he doesn’t stay four years. I mean, is there anyone who thought Darius Morris would only play one more year after his freshman year? Yet that’s exactly what happened.

I think if Irvin has a pretty good year, he’s gone. He has always struck me as having a pretty high opinion of his game and being kind of brash–doesn’t seem like a 4-year guy to me.

OBVIOUSLY someone is going to transfer and the staff knows it. Austin is a hardworking kid, seen him multiple times in the last two years. He is a positional rebounder that has good instincts and pursues the ball willingly. He has been trending upward lately and garnering more high D1 interest from a lot if schools. That being said, he is ABSOLUTELY a long term project and will undoubtedly redshirt year 1, barring an injury. He IS challenged athletically, did not play against great HS competition, and will make Doyle look fast! He is not in B1G game condition at this stage, and has a long way to go in that department. It will be interesting to see his development going forward, but at this time he is in serious need of a prolonged S&C process to become anything more than a 5-6 minute backup. Can he do it? I have my doubts but wish him ALL THE BEST!!

Your description of him is depressing.

OBVIOUSLY someone is going to transfer and the staff knows it. Austin is a hardworking kid, seen him multiple times in the last two years. He is a positional rebounder that has good instincts and pursues the ball willingly. He has been trending upward lately and garnering more high D1 interest from a lot if schools. That being said, he is ABSOLUTELY a long term project and will undoubtedly redshirt year 1, barring an injury. He IS challenged athletically, did not play against great HS competition, and will make Doyle look fast! He is not in B1G game condition at this stage, and has a long way to go in that department. It will be interesting to see his development going forward, but at this time he is in serious need of a prolonged S&C process to become anything more than a 5-6 minute backup. Can he do it? I have my doubts but wish him ALL THE BEST!!

Your description of him is depressing.

Have you seen his film? At some point it is what it is.