Austin Davis Commits to Michigan

Even if there’s attrition, which would make recruiting this position (big) somewhat more sense, Davis has offers from Buffalo and Toledo. Do we really think we’re beating everyone to a sleeper recruit? Can’t we see what else we can go after first? Can’t we continue to evaluate Davis and “recruit” him but not give a commitable offer yet?

All I have to say is there better be attrition to make sense of this…and we better hit home runs on the open scholarships for our guards.

I honestly don’t think there is anything else happening. I truly believe JB just prefers kids that he knows will commit, even if it means those kids may not be as talented. He just can’t fathom kissing ass nonstop for 1-2 years in my opinion. Recruiting just isn’t his thing

We tried to do a 2 big lineup with Morgan and McGary before he got injured. It simply doesn’t work well with this offense, you NEED a shooter at the 4 to be the best possible team. I agree with Dylan, something has to give.

If there are any masochists out there, Davis’ high school has multiple full games posted on youtube from this past season’s playoffs. Search “Onsted Wildcats”. Very reasonable criticisms on here and on mgoblog right now. Head-scratcher for sure…

Well, as people who read my posts might imagine, I’m not nearly as concerned, perplexed, or discouraged by the Davis commitment as others. Some thoughts:

1. I really hope the young man and his family members don’t read this board. I mean, the kid just fulfills a dream and people have already decided he’s a complete bum, I guess.

2. As far as whether he can play, if our staff saw him last weekend (they did) and offered him, I trust their judgment far more than anyone on this board. That’s not meant to offend, it’s just a simple fact that the guys on our staff have played and coached basketball at a much higher level than anyone commenting here.

3. Here is what I think is happening. What was a major problem with our team this year? Big men. Not just the fact that we had to play a true freshman in Doyle and a RS frosh in Donnal, but the fact that those guys really struggled. Probably the worst aspect of their play was their inability to set good picks (early - Doyle improved as the season progressed). That’s a staple of our offense and we couldn’t run it very well. Going forward, I think Doyle and Wilson are your two centers (we all agree, right, that JB is always going to play two centers?), and Teske and Davis will be the “next wave,” so that when Doyle and Wilson (two years ahead of the 2016 kids, unless Wilson is good enough to warrant a fifth year) graduate, we have two big kids with experience in the system ready to play and contribute at a much higher level than Donnal and Doyle did this year.

4. I also think Donnal is on the way out.

5. As far as additional recruits, I think we will move Hatch to a medical scholarship to create room for any elite 2016 recruit who wants to come.

6. I also think the staff is anticipating some additional early entries. Now, you might say, that’s nuts, who could possibly leave? I’ll give you two guys - Irvin and Dawkins. Irvin has obvious issues (needs to improve his handle, needs to make open shots), but he was playing some great basketball by the end of the year. If he had a stat line of say 15/5/3.5 and shot .450/.410 next year, it wouldn’t shock me to see him test the waters. Dawkins played very well at the end of the year. He’s close to elite athletically (average in the NBA), and can really shoot the three. It’s entirely possible he doesn’t stay four years. I mean, is there anyone who thought Darius Morris would only play one more year after his freshman year? Yet that’s exactly what happened.

7. Finally, I don’t agree that with the talent on the roster, we can’t compete for the Big Ten title and make deep runs in the tourney. There are a LOT of programs that build around three and four year guys and enjoy lots of success. Notre Dame, Gonzaga, Iowa State, Wisconsin, and Virginia all come immediately to mind. MSU as well - this year’s team lacked elite talent but had lots of experience.

8. I think we need to see the big picture before drawing any real conclusions here, and only the coaches know that picture right now. I’ll bet a lot happens before the start of next year.

C’mon LA you are REALLY pressing the ‘benefit of the doubt’ narrative with this one. This makes absolutely zero sense from either a roster need or talent standpoint. I’m not even going to sugarcoat it, it’s just a bad move by JB. It’s ok to say that because it’s true

This makes little sense either way, even if there IS attrition. It would have opened up a much needed scholarship for Kenny Williams or the tiny chance we HAD at Brown. I am sad now.

Player comparison (if he can get into better shape):
Jared Berggren?

Mike Tisdale for Teske?

Take Davis instate and don't offer Jaylen Johnson, EC Matthews or Vince Hunter. Eric Davis was offered but never seemed like Beilein really recruited him that hard.

Appears JB is flustered/panicked. Remember, this is new territory for him too. He’s never had to consistently recruit at a high level like he has to now.

I truly believe MSU landing Swannigan rattled him.

Player comparison (if he can get into better shape): Jared Berggren?

Mike Tisdale for Teske?

Greg Ostertag

OBVIOUSLY someone is going to transfer and the staff knows it. Austin is a hardworking kid, seen him multiple times in the last two years. He is a positional rebounder that has good instincts and pursues the ball willingly. He has been trending upward lately and garnering more high D1 interest from a lot if schools. That being said, he is ABSOLUTELY a long term project and will undoubtedly redshirt year 1, barring an injury. He IS challenged athletically, did not play against great HS competition, and will make Doyle look fast! He is not in B1G game condition at this stage, and has a long way to go in that department. It will be interesting to see his development going forward, but at this time he is in serious need of a prolonged S&C process to become anything more than a 5-6 minute backup. Can he do it? I have my doubts but wish him ALL THE BEST!!

For the last few years, Beilen has played essentially one big at a time…we’ve given 40 minutes of PT per game combined to everyone on the roster at C/PF. So how in the hell is he going to divide 40 minutes among Doyle, Wilson, Donnal, Wagner, Teske and Davis? Like everyone else, I find this very disappointing and impossible to comprehend. I felt like the 2016 class was going to be critical for this program going forward, and for defining the rest of Beilein’s tenure here, and this pretty much ensures that it can’t be anything but mediocre. PG? Where the heck will we be after Walton leaves? Nowhere. We can’t add one in 2016 even if we wanted to now.

My worry over this commit is not from the point of view of disliking Davis. I do trust Beilein’s ability to spot the diamonds in the rough. From what I’ve read the kid does have potential (I know the P word is becoming a viewed negative on the board here.) Plus I agree that a program can be successful building around guys who will be around awhile.

My worry comes more just from a roster balance standpoint. As I’ve stated I agree there are more shoes to drop that will open up some spots for additional recruits. What we do with those spots will be key.

1. I really hope the young man and his family members don’t read this board. I mean, the kid just fulfills a dream and people have already decided he’s a complete bum, I guess.

NOBODY on this board is attacking this kid or calling him a bum. All we are doing is questioning JB and why in the world he would take another big when he already has 5 more that will be on the roster at that point. Secondly, if he wanted to read a board about his commitment, he should go to mgoblog, where you get negged 20 points for even suggesting that JB could possibly make ANY mistake.

OBVIOUSLY someone is going to transfer and the staff knows it. Austin is a hardworking kid, seen him multiple times in the last two years. He is a positional rebounder that has good instincts and pursues the ball willingly. He has been trending upward lately and garnering more high D1 interest from a lot if schools. That being said, he is ABSOLUTELY a long term project and will undoubtedly redshirt year 1, barring an injury. He IS challenged athletically, did not play against great HS competition, and will make Doyle look fast! He is not in B1G game condition at this stage, and has a long way to go in that department. It will be interesting to see his development going forward, but at this time he is in serious need of a prolonged S&C process to become anything more than a 5-6 minute backup. Can he do it? I have my doubts but wish him ALL THE BEST!!

That’s what baffles me…the opportunity risk. What are we giving up in exchange?

If he’s going to need to redshirt, that means Teske can’t.
That also means we’re chancing it that he’ll be able to contribute more as a RS Fr compared to a true 2017 kid. Are we not able to take that risk and shoot for a 2017 kid? What’s the worst that could happen?

Even if he turns out to be a nice piece, were other teams pressing hard for a commit that we felt compelled to make our move now?

If scholarships open up other places (Wagner not qualifying, Hatch moved to medical exept., transfer/s) we could still have the scholarships for some guards/wings. But until all of the dust settles, these are some concerning times.

A year ago we dreamed that Chatman could come in and be a versatile player capable of playing the 2, 3, or 4 and excel at creating shots for others. We also dreamed that Wilson could develop his skills into an athletic, long, PF.

Too bad those dreams are pipe dreams now. Someone needs to inform the staff.

It really comes down to what you think of this staff. I’ve been higher than some on JB and co for a while and they’ve repaid my faith quite well. I’ll continue to be bullish unless there’s a prolonged reason not too.

And people should probably relax a little bit.

A year ago we dreamed that Chatman could come in and be a versatile player capable of playing the 2, 3, or 4 and excel at creating shots for others. We also dreamed that Wilson could develop his skills into an athletic, long, PF.

Wow…this can’t be real

For the last few years, Beilen has played essentially one big at a time...we've given 40 minutes of PT per game combined to everyone on the roster at C/PF. So how in the hell is he going to divide 40 minutes among Doyle, Wilson, Donnal, Wagner, Teske and Davis? Like everyone else, I find this very disappointing and impossible to comprehend. I felt like the 2016 class was going to be critical for this program going forward, and for defining the rest of Beilein's tenure here, and this pretty much ensures that it can't be anything but mediocre. PG? Where the heck will we be after Walton leaves? Nowhere. We can't add one in 2016 even if we wanted to now.

I agree with your premise, but let’s not lump in Wilson and Wagner there as definitive 5’s, as there is a chance Wilson plays 4 and Wagner is a wing player, not a 5. (Not saying they won’t ultimately end up playing 5 though)

No offense HTYV, but this comment is simply ridiculous. How can you already determine Wilson’s entire career after 3 games where he missed a ton of practice before them? That’s just pure ignorant. Also, your Chatman declaration after 1 year, especially since he was the youngest player on the roster, baffles me after the improvements he showed late in the season.

1 Like