Assistant Coaching Candidates

Thanks, any input on Donlon? Also any idea where the hires might be announced?

2 more questions, has Nichols interviewed and any thoughts on potentially not taking an assistant with in state connections?

If Donlon is hired, I donā€™t expect him to be around more than a year or two. He won 20+ games in three of his last four years at Wright St. Was unjustly fired IMO. Will probably get another crack at a job soon.

There is a premium on one assistant having in state, specifically Detroit connections so I would be surprised if someone like that doesnā€™t get one of the spots. I think Chris Hunter is a darkhorse though. I havenā€™t heard about Nichols being in town, but it doesnā€™t mean it hasnā€™t happened. The only people I know have been in town are Washington, Donlon, and Mann. Again, doesnā€™t mean there is anyone else or someone on the perceived list hasnā€™t made it in.

I feel pretty good about predicting Saddi Washington. The other spot I would be guessing in the dark, but it seems Donlon was impressive. Bacon brings up a good point though about a guy like Donlon probably not being long for the job. Chris Hunter is impressive. As I said, a darkhorse in my humble opinion.

2 Likes

Does Saddi fit the bill for the Detroit connections? The other thing is needing a post and guard coach. Seems like the guard coach is easier to find and believe Saddi coaches bigs at Oakland.

Quick search of Donlon, good defensive coach who had some highly rated defensive teams at Wright State. Sounds like his recruiting and the offensive side of the ball were his weaknesses

Serious question: is this job an attractive option given JBā€™s age and contract length?

If Iā€™m climbing the coaching ranks, I really only want this job if a) I have a love for the school/area, b) I truly sync with JBs coaching philosophies, or c) I think I have a legitimate chance at being considered as a successor

Yeah, itā€™s not like TWO of his assistants just got head coaching gigs, thus moving up in the profession or anything.

3 Likes

Fair enough, I wasnā€™t implying that itā€™s not a good gig in generalā€¦just didnā€™t know if these circumstances were different for the potential candidates. Overthinking it, my bad.

1 Like

Not many assistants get the bump to HC at a Power 5. Itā€™s a pretty rare thing unless youā€™ve been there a long time (Gard // Wisconsin). Even thenā€¦thing of the hat trick Bo Ryan had to pull just to get Gard inā€¦

FWIW: Hereā€™s what Beilein said about Donlon when he was hired at Wright State.

ā€œBill Donlon is what so many student-athletes should look for in their future coach. He not only knows the game, but is able to teach it . The poise, basketball IQ, and work habits he had as a player are now an everyday part of his coaching philosophy. I love to talk basketball with Bill whenever I see him!ā€- John Beilein, Head Coach, University of Michigan

I like the sound of donlon

I think Donlon would be a great hire, if he wanted to come. He is an excellent defensive coach, an extremely hard worker, very knowledgeable and a man of impeccable character. Quite honestly, he is the kind of man I would expect Michigan to be looking for. The question is, is he willing to come? My guess is heā€™s looking for a head job. Now, if he wants to spend a year or two at a premier university with a great reputation and exceptional facilities working for and alongside one of the outstanding offensive minds in college basketball, then the Michigan job should be quite attractive to him. Coach B would also have to be willing to hire a guy who would only be there for a year or two. But if all that works out, I think heā€™d be a great hire.

1 Like

I understand wanting to be a head coach, but the money is probably at least comparable. Sounds like Donlon was in the 200s http://www.argusleader.com/story/sports/college/south-dakota-state-university/2016/04/03/report-wright-state-wants-sdsus-nagy/82584836/

Believe Jordan was making around 230.

On one hand, it seems like it should be a great selling point that our assistants just got head coaching jobs. I am afraid, though, that Jordan and Bacariā€™s jobs are the kind that Donlon could already get. Think we could convince him that he could use us as a catapult to a power 5 team or higher mid major, even though that isnā€™t the case with our recent departures?

Maybe he could, but why do you think heā€™s still unemployed? I donā€™t know the answer, but Iā€™m thinking if he could get those types of jobs, heā€™d have one right now.

Iā€™ll admit ignorance in saying that I dont know how long he has been unemployed, or any jobs that he has interviewed for and lost out on. I was hoping Dylan could explain that part of it.

Absolutely agree. Money will be comparable, but itā€™s not ALWAYS about money. Iā€™m not saying thatā€™s what you were implying, but from the perspective of an ā€œold manā€ I can tell you it ainā€™t always about the money. I think heā€™d be a great fit, and it could be a win win. Heā€™d be an excellent young coach with great knowledge who could provide JB some new ideas and a fresh perspective on defense, rebounding, etc. Heā€™d also be in a position to learn new concepts that could help him develop a more exciting brand of basketball on the offensive end helping him to be in a stronger position for another head job in a couple of years. Win, win. Weā€™ll see.

I feel like the career path of a fired Horizon head coach is generally to regroup as a HM assistant coach before landing another head coaching job.

4 Likes

In the long run, and heā€™s only 39, that would probably serve him best.

Im with donlon to. I like that heā€™s been a head coach before. You guys mentioned he has ohio
Recruiting connections right? Cleveland area? If so this sounds even better as it seems Ohio is one of if not are go to recruiting grounds. They seem to produce the best players in the Midwest. Indiana too. Any edge there would be huge.

Anyone know anything about Saddi Washington in terms of strengths as a coach? Connections in state? Thanks