Anyone Know What's Up with Bielfeldt and Dakich?

Matt, you just linked a video showing we call Seth Towns every day. Are we not showing him enough attention?

Matt, you just linked a video showing we call Seth Towns every day. Are we not showing him enough attention?

Did I say that?

And by the way, “showing love” just sets these kids up with false expectations later in life. Their future employers - whether it be basketball or something else - are going to demand excellence, not blow sunshine up their ass all day long. I’m pretty sure Beilein is just honest with them - we expect them to be team players, to attend class, to work hard, and if they do, they’ll develop into good players with a good chance to play at the next level.

Obviously, a lot of good players (with good character) have bought in. If we weed out the one and done kids who don’t want to be part of the team concept, and who don’t want to earn their minutes, I’m just fine with that.

That’s your take, I don’t agree. I don’t want to alienate elite talent, just my take.

Understood. But given the caliber of recruits we have been after lately, I don’t think we are “alienating” anyone. If we lose out on Thornton, Battle, Langford, and guys like that, it will be because it is simply tough to get those guys. If Beilein can’t “sell,” how do you explain Morris, Hardaway, Burke, Robinson, Stauskas, McGary, Walton, Irvin, and Chatman?

Oh, and I’d say all those guys are better than Tommy Amaker’s second best recruit (I’ll give you Horton over a few of the guys I list above. :slight_smile:

That is all I've been trying to say for the past 5-6 months. Listen JB is a damn good coach, but it's hard to make sandwiches with no bread. If we don't upgrade the talent in 16, and assuming Caris leaves, we're essentially left with 2 upper tier B10 players, no great players, and a cast of role players (as it stands now anyway).

This is why recruiting is so imperative…projects take time, and if you’re roster is primarily composed of projects you become a team that is a middle of the pack B10 team most years, with a deep tourney run every 4-5 years, most likely when all the project recruits become juniors and seniors.

You and I dont always agree on everything, but I we have been in 100% agreement on this. Recruiting in 2014 and 2015 seemed to get worse, rather than better which is really surprising given that we were better on the court going into those years than prior years. 2016 is crucial and so far the results are not very promising. We really need a huge turn around in 2016 to keep this program competing at a high level.

I certainly agree we’ve increased our pool of recruits to include elite players, whether we’ve increased our intensity to that pool is an entirely different question. In other words, there is a distinction between the type of recruit we pursue, and the intensity of said recruitment. Not good enough to have one without the other.

I know it’s not even nearly enough to call this successful 2016 recruiting , but let’s not forget we got Teske really early. A big is something we usually struggle the most with in recruiting. His stock is only rising, and you just can’t teach to be so tall. I still have no explanation how Beilein managed to do this.
As I said, this is definitely not enough, and we need to replenish our guards by that time. The prospects we are going for are not that likely but possible. Let’s just say that I think we should just keep hope because even though we went through bigrecruiting failures recently, there has still been flashes of good.

I certainly agree we've increased our pool of recruits to include elite players, whether we've increased our intensity to that pool is an entirely different question. In other words, there is a distinction between the type of recruit we pursue, and the intensity of said recruitment. Not good enough to have one without the other.

It’s hard to judge intensity but it seems like they are always mentioned with the group of coaches that are watching a prospect’s game. And even though it didn’t work out sure seems like put the full-court press on Dozier.

The only tangible way to really guage intensity is results. Obviously, it’s a flawed metric, but what other manner is there to measure?

The only tangible way to really guage intensity is results. Obviously, it's a flawed metric, but what other manner is there to measure?

get the phone records and travel receipts? :slight_smile:

I didn't "come down off" any comment, just sticking to my original claim, but I refuse to allow you to miscontrue facts to fit your narrative.

Lately…such a useful word for those part of the JB fan club. If you want to make a 2 year list, I can give you plenty of “great” coaches. First, you were top 10, now it’s top 15…you’re a character. In any event:

K
Izzo
Ryan
Pitino
Cal
Sean Miller
Roy Williams
Donovan
Self
Smart
Matta
Brown
Boeheim
Fisher
Marshall

No. I’ve said that he is a borderline top 10 coach right now, but a top 15 lock. I think leaving him out of the top 10 is justifiable, but listing 15 coaches would be laughable. Exhibit A is your list. I’m going to assume you aren’t serious with this.

And what’s wrong with the word “lately”? You don’t judge current trends by things that happened 10-15 years ago. I use “lately” when discussing how Michigan St. football > Michigan football right now, too. It’s common sense.

What’s laughable to you doesn’t really concern me to be honest, your opinion isn’t going to impact my analytics one bit.

What’s wrong with “lately” is this - lately to you coincides with JB’s success but doesn’t account for his failures. In other words, you are conveineintly extracting data from a time period to fit your narrative as opposed to presenting a wholistic approach. Lately to me is the past 5-10 years.

In any event, all we’re doing at this point is bickering back and forth like two school-aged girls. I bow out, you win. Have a pleasant weekend, sir, and Go Blue!

Well, don’t you guys think that the fit within the michigan scheme and system matter a lot too? If we were national champions those past 2 years, and the top recruit didn’t want to play or did not fit our offensive scheme, do you still think we would consider them? Or more importantly would they still consider us?
It’s not a rhetorical question, it’s an actual one

Since we have no control over Michigan's recruiting, I think some of you are ruining the experience of watching the team play by worrying about 1-2 years down the line, when you should be enjoying watching our team play in the now. We are 3-0, the world isn't over. We all understand how important recruiting is, but some of you guys need to take a step back and live in the present. There's no need to stress over something that you can't control and as a frequent poster on this forum, it is beyond annoying to have to read the same point be made OVER and OVER again, and even more annoying when certain people take every opportunity to say "told you so."

I get your point, but I just get frustrated with the “we’re great on offense” every day…but nobody else seems to get irritated with that. You want to focus on the present…that’s a legitimate point, but then you have to take the same approch for those that want to ride the glory of the past 2 years…you should be just as upset that some equate past success to future results.

Since we have no control over Michigan’s recruiting, I think some of you are ruining the experience of watching the team play by worrying about 1-2 years down the line, when you should be enjoying watching our team play in the now. We are 3-0, the world isn’t over. We all understand how important recruiting is, but some of you guys need to take a step back and live in the present. There’s no need to stress over something that you can’t control and as a frequent poster on this forum, it is beyond annoying to have to read the same point be made OVER and OVER again, and even more annoying when certain people take every opportunity to say “told you so.”

I didn’t “come down off” any comment, just sticking to my original claim, but I refuse to allow you to miscontrue facts to fit your narrative.

Lately…such a useful word for those part of the JB fan club. If you want to make a 2 year list, I can give you plenty of “great” coaches. First, you were top 10, now it’s top 15…you’re a character. In any event:

K
Izzo
Ryan
Pitino
Cal
Sean Miller
Roy Williams
Donovan
Self
Smart
Matta
Brown
Boeheim
Fisher
Marshall

Since we have no control over Michigan's recruiting, I think some of you are ruining the experience of watching the team play by worrying about 1-2 years down the line, when you should be enjoying watching our team play in the now. We are 3-0, the world isn't over. We all understand how important recruiting is, but some of you guys need to take a step back and live in the present. There's no need to stress over something that you can't control and as a frequent poster on this forum, it is beyond annoying to have to read the same point be made OVER and OVER again, and even more annoying when certain people take every opportunity to say "told you so."

Yeah, I said this same thing last night.

nm

nm